View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRobert View Post
Have a relatively new Montana 5th wheel with the Solar Flex System. Apparently I have destroyed two very expensive AGM batteries by over-draining them. Would appreciate any help on how I can diagnose the charging system - firstly, when connected to a 50 amp shore power supply (such as I am now in inside winter storage), secondly, if out in the sun when the Solar is working, and thirdly, if I am running the factory installed generator. What "line" to the batteries should I be testing on, and am I looking for voltage or amperage? And I am assuming that the 12V supply switch in the tank valve area must be set to "on". Thanks from a newbie to this facet of RVing.
I think the best system is to install a proper battery monitoring system and the appropriate shunt to go with it. This will give you all the information you need and then some. You can also pair it to an app on your phone for remote monitoring.

For example, you want to know not just what is going in (which charging source, charging rate, and totals over time) but also the discharging rate and amounts. A big contributor to ruined batteries due to discharging them too much is not being aware of all of the small things that may drain a little at a time. And, if you are boondocking, knowing your power usage will help to optimize when to charge with the generator and when to let the solar system charge. I imagine that could really save some propane usage once you start using it.
Maybe a comparison is having a fuel gauge and using the "instant mpg" gauge on your vehicle... that is a lot more accurate and up to date than a stick in the tank, and can help you drive in a way that saves energy also.

For the Montana Super Solar Flex system, they include the highly rated Victron BM-712.
https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
and, an option to purchase here...
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ.../dp/B075RTSTKS

We used a competing product in a prior 5th wheel, and I would not be without a battery monitor now. Our new Montana has the Victron as above, and it really does help to monitor and know how to properly charge and protect your batteries.

Hope that helps!
Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote