View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I had a hard time picking a forum to put this in and I chose this one.

Anyone here come from a diesel pusher to a fifth wheel? Pros and cons?

We bought our Montana High Country with the intention of living in it when the house sold. 2 years later and haven't even put the house up for sale yet but it's coming. So far I've lived in it most of 2 years for work, coming home on weekends. It's fine, nothing wrong with my experience. Also we took it to Florida last winter and spent a few months.

My Dad bought a diesel pusher, a 2007 Monaco Camelot 42pdq with 43,000 miles. He died last year and it's sat. Some thieves stole the batteries out of it and I've been working on it for Mom so she can sell it. I have other things to do to it since it's been sitting. I'm kind of in a time bind with it because we're leaving for Florida in 2 weeks.

Anyway the longer I spend around it the more I want it. It seems so easy to just pull in a rest area, walk to the back and go to bed. This is impossible with my Montana and the MorRyde steps, it's obvious I've settled in when I drop them out. Also always scared someone will pull too close to me and run over them. Also could just stop and use my own bathroom instead of walking into the rest area with a motorhome.

I've got 3 campground sites reserved for our upcoming Florida trip just in getting there. Clarksville Tn, Cartersville GA, and Lake City FL, then on to our yearly lease. I figure motorhome would negate that unless I just chose to do it.

I realize I've put a lot of words out here and said very little. But I'd like people's experiences and opinions.
No experience with a diesel pusher MH, but plenty with 5th wheels... so I guess opinions only here

But, might be helpful to share why we stayed with a 5th wheel even though we have gone from "camping" for a few days at a time, to "long timing" for a few months at a time. For us, when we researched lots of forums for 5th wheels and diesel pushers, it seemed that a lot of the choice came down to whether you valued the travel more (MH), or staying in one place longer (5th).

Other comparisons:
-5th wheels generally have more room, MH's are more convenient to setup and move around...
-5th wheels mean your daily driver is the truck, MH's mean you tow a vehicle of choice... either way, MH have an extra engine and drivetrain to maintain...
-5th wheel and truck are cheaper to buy and maintain than MH and toad.
-there some "motorcoach rv parks" that only will take MH's; no trailers no matter how nice...

For us, we buy top end trim trucks and are fine with that as our daily driver. So -for what we need- 5th wheel and truck ends up simpler and cheaper, and we put up with the inconvenience while traveling and short stays... (honestly with auto level and solar we find it is really not too inconvenient, but obviously can't match MH convenience)

BTW, I had to lookup the model you are talking about... now that would be a tempting unit for sure; might change my mind if I had that as an option

Hope that is helpful...

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote