View Single Post
Old 10-17-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
MAWilsonPE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26813
So the dealer showed me how they “test” the brakes. They have a dolly with a 12V battery, a bunch of switches and lights. Plug the camper pigtail in and they can turn on the running lights, turn signals etc. When he turned on the “brake” switch the brake lights come on and another light comes on indicating continuity to the electric part of the brake actuator. Sorry Bub, just ‘cause you have power doesn’t mean their going to work. I don’t think there is any way to really test the brakes without trying to pull the camper. I imagine the hydraulic actuator is a pump that you could hear running, but even that doesn’t mean it’s building pressure.

The dealer kept saying it must be my truck. They sent me with the camper to a trailer specialty place just up the road, supposed trailer brake experts. Immediately they said it must be my truck. “Seen it many times before” They pulled out a similar test dolly, “looks good”. They wanted to install an aftermarket brake controller, run new wires, cut old ones, and lighten my wallet by several hundred dollars. Why is it, amongst “experts” I had to suggest pulling the break away pin? “Hmmm, scratch, scratch, that’s a good idea”

I feel badly for those less mechanically inclined who would have gone through all of that and then... no brakes.

I imagine that Keystone tests them the same way and relies on Dexter that the actuator will work. As far as the delivery driver, who knows... didn’t notice, didn’t care, gotta get this delivered and collect my check. Uggh. Home now, headed to the Scotch cabinet, hoping they can fix it and deliver next week 👍
MAWilsonPE is offline   Reply With Quote