View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
You can get antifreeze into the freshwater supply hose by using this same method (you only need to do it for a few seconds though...

Filling freshwater tank using winterizing port.
Take 5 gal bucket of freshwater. Connect a pickup hose to the winterizing port (sometimes you have to use 2 washers to make a good seal). Put the open end into the bucket of water. Turn winterize valve to "ON". Connect the shower hose to city water connection. Turn "Normal flow/Fill" valve to "Fill". Turn water pump on and open cold water side of shower. Water will draw from 5 gal jug go thru shower hose into city water connection right into tank.
This is exactly how I do it too. Except this is next to the last step. Last step is the ice maker on the refrigerator. Why last? Because if you do this one last, the lines will be filled with antifreeze up to the shower (or that blue hose thing). When you connect to the fill port, the pink stuff is immediately pushing the clear water out. I also open the fresh water tank and have let it drain completely. I then watch the water coming out of the tank. As soon as I see the slightest hint of pink, I turn the faucet off so no more pink stuff goes into the fresh water tank. I then let what remaining (little bit) of pink stuff is in the tank drip out. The amount of pink stuff in the fresh water tank is minimal this way and drains all out. When unwinterizing, I simply hook up the garden hose and flush the line with the fresh tank draining. Once the fresh tank drain runs clear, it's pretty much done.

I also do this with the water heater. I'll drain the water heater in by-pass and pump the pink through everything. Then, with the drain open in the water heater, I'll undo the bypass and wait for the pink to flush out the water heater, then put it back in by-pass. Later, I'll go back to the water heater and rinse out the pink stuff sitting on the bottom of the tank with a small wand attached to the garden hose. Wait for it to completely flush out the pink, let it finish draining again, and then put the anode rode back in. What little water is still in the bottom of the water heater, if frozen, will never hurt anything as it has 10 gallons of space to expand.

Come Spring, I'll unwinterize everything, and then open the bypass with the water heater anode out again and flush the line and water heater until all pink is gone.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote