View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #50
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
My F250 can handle that weight. I know because i have towed my 5er 30,000 + miles without a single issue. I have a 03 32380 RL for those who want to look it up. We only take 3 month trips and we have to empty the home refer of all the food in there. We carry enough cloths for 2 weeks between washing. I also travel with my water tank completely full.

People here who drive DRW trucks always take 2 parking spots. How courteous of them. So ya you don't need a DRW truck but if you buy one think about the rest of us who seem to be able to park our 5er in between the lines.
"Without a single issue"----famous last words until you do have an issue. You know like when you kill that family of 4 because your truck was overweight and you couldn't control it going down that mountain pass...…

Since someone has already went the "Semi Truck" overkill. Let me go the other way and say you could potentially put a hitch on top of a Volkswagon Bettle and get the wheels rolling on one of our monster trailers. Anyone care to be the idiot that tries that???? Its not about getting the wheels to roll, its about stopping them and handling that load SAFELY!!!

Let me put this another way, we should give someone asking, honest true advice and if anything ERR ON THE SIDE OF SAFETY. YOU may have driven a million miles with an undersized truck (although I suspect the transmission will fall out of it at about 100K). That does NOT mean you should recommend doing the same to someone who may not know better. It has nothing to do with saving money. It's all about SAFETY!!!!

To me that dictates recommending the next size larger truck than the specs absolutely say is the bare minimum. If you need a 3/4 ton at a minimum get a 1 ton SRW. If you need a 1 ton SRW opt for the dually. That isn't radical advice or suggesting that anyone spend an excessive amount of money. And to be honest I really don't get why anyone would have an issue with it!!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote