View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 07:40 AM   #47
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftx View Post
This is probably the worst advice you can receive. A sales man or woman has zero clue. They are on the dealer lot to sell something and make their drawer positive every month to prove their worth.
Yes they will upsell and tell to to buy the biggest and baddest truck on the lot. If they do not have it on the lot they will not tell you to go elsewhere. So I have a triple axle 30K dry weight and my black beauty on this lot will tow it.

I downgraded 2 levels. I had a 1 ton dually for a daily driver pre DEF fluid. My commute is 22Miles each way with no time for regeneration for the cat. So I went even further and downgraded to a gas motor.
MY diesel was rated at 250hp and about the same for torque. The newer gassers were rated higher.
I went from a ford limited edition to a chevy with rubber floor mats bare bones in today's standards.
The differences in towing were not noticeable by the seat of the pants.
You get the same chucking and push / pull when leaving an intersection or approaching.
My 3255 is older. My weights are within limits 12,5?? max and a High 9K on the low side. The new truck has a 14K tow rating.

The only difference with chevy between a 3/4HD and 1ton is the rear springs. One less leaf. I did add air bags though. Tired of hitting a pot hole and feeling the leafs bottoming out.

You have to make a decision based upon your camper and being legal going down the road.

Be safe and many happy miles ahead.
Chris
"The only difference with chevy between a 3/4HD and 1ton is the rear springs. One less leaf." IMHO is FALSE - the GVWR is different! GVWR/GCVWR are most important when pulling a fifth wheel, NOT TOWING capacity. Take your rig and get each axle weight and see if you are within limits. AIR BAGS do not change GVWR.

It is only if there is a wreck that there could be an issue - then it could be your future flushed. Again, IMHO
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote