View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #80
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
First, we tentatively plan to drive to FL in early Dec. unless the storm becomes too severe. Second, we know of two persons now that had contracted COV19, and both survived without any sequelae. Neither were wearing masks as a routine while in public.

The LA Times reported last week that masks not only mitigate, but can also lessen the viral load should you still get COV19, resulting in decreasing the severity and morbidity of this pathogen. I wear a tight fitting N95 mask whenever I'm shopping indoors or among congested public. I worked in surgery for nearly 40 years (although, my masks are from my woodworking business). I see that the public is largely clueless about proper mask fit and density. Many people wear loosely fitted masks, or have their nose exposed, or the fabric of the mask is so thin, they're barely useful and, as such, are at a higher risk of getting or transmitting COV19. Studies prove that the thickness of the mask does make a difference, an example would be flannel does a better job than a tee-shirt density. That said, the mask, even the best mask, is not a perfect defense, it only helps mitigate. Frequent hand hygiene and practicing safe distancing also really helps in fighting any airborne virus.

Another strategy just published said, if you get COV19, use nasal irrigation, (the practice of clearing the nasal passages), using a spray bottle or neti pot to introduce a therapeutic solution. One team of researchers recently studied the effects of nasal irrigation on COVID-19 and determined that this simple, at-home practice could very well help lessen a person's viral load. "Nasal irrigations should be encouraged for patients and health care workers especially," the study concludes. While hardly a silver bullet solution for the disease, the study argues that nasal irrigation can help to "reduce viral severity and further transmission" of coronavirus early on after a patient becomes infected. The researchers explain that this is because, "similar to other viral upper respiratory infections, [coronavirus] infection occurs primarily in the nasal and nasopharyngeal mucosa with high viral loads early in disease." This presents an opportunity to "wash COVID-19 away," the study suggests. The researchers noted that the general "benefit of topical nasal saline has been well established," explaining that the nasal lining serves an important role in the immune system, acting as the primary defense.

Conclusion, wear a good tight fitting dense mask so that it covers your nose and mouth and if you still get it, use a saline nasal lavage early on!
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote