View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
On the Tandem that converts to solo. There was a hard body on the market that came in three sections and converted from tandem to solo but it had a lot of drawbacks not the least of which was the price. I'm not sure they even market it anymore but it didn't look like it would hold up very well.

Generally speaking, your going to trade performance and or reliability to get easier storage or more versatility. There is a very good reason why folks still struggle with hauling those hard side kayaks. When you get in the water, they are still the best boat. Its like golf or anything else, you have to use the right tool for the job. You don't use your putter as a driver. Same for kayaks, you don't use a sit on top in class 5 water and you don't take a squirt play boat out on the ocean.

Best general use boat would be the sit in cruisers we have. They are 10' so relatively easy to transport. They paddle easy in flat river water, have some room for fishing and handle up to light class 4 fairly well. I would say that most experienced kayakers on rivers are using something like that if they can only afford one boat. But there are tons of choices and specialized boats on the market. I don't do Class 5 anymore so my next boat will be one to replace the temporary cheap boat I am in and then I will be getting a fishing kayak which has a trolling motor to fish sheltered lakes (my friend/fishing partner has one so its a group thing).

If your not going to do above Class 3 and might want to use the boat in the Ocean then the sit on tops are a good choice. You will be exposed to the sun (so be prepared with lots of sun screen) but you won't have to worry about getting swamped like a sit in can in the surf.

In the end you have to decide what you will primarily be using the boat for and go with that.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote