Thread: Crushed Rails
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 09:35 PM   #54
GrayPDX

M.O.C. #21175
I am a full timer and the neighbors here are almost always willing to help, but in this case the offer of help was denied by a 20 something year old and it was disastrous.

There was a older 5er here, that the owner was just giving away to have it hauled away. The kid bit and showed up to pick it up. First problem he was told about was that he only had a half ton for this 40+ ft 5er (I'm guessing it was at least 45 ft). Second one was that he had the hitch installed backwards - he was told about that too. So the couple of folks who were trying to help this kid, just threw up their hands and stood back. Kid got it hitched up, but not locked in - even tho the hitch was backwards. He pulled forward with no problem, but then he had to back up a little bit and of course the 5er came off the hitch and crushed both sides of the bed. He got it hitched up again, but this time when he pulled forward, he high centered the front of his truck on a big ole rock. He had to dig around the rock and move it enough to get clear of it. And by this time, his wife was furious at him and got in her car and just left him there. The kid tried pulling out again - he turned too tight and of course he hit the cab of his truck and put a huge dent in it. Folks were still trying to help him - but he just wasn't having it. He finally gave up, put the 5er back in the space, unhooked it and drove away. Showed up the next day with a friend that had a 3/4 ton, hooked it up and drove away. We were all concerned this time since we thought that 5er was way too heavy for that truck (I wouldn't have tried pulling something that big with my F350), but they pulled away anyway. We never heard if they made it to the new park ok - which was about 45 miles away.

If this situation wasn't so sad, it would be comical. We are all going to make mistakes sometime, I know I have. But I've also learned to listen to what folks are telling you, take a second look at the situation then go forward. Hopefully without any consequences.