Thread: Brakes
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenclme View Post
When I got my 3820FK new in 2017, I had the same thing. The experts at CW told me since this was a bigger 5er than what I traded in, that I shouldn't expect the same braking performance as my smaller Montana HC, so set the integrated controller to 10 and be happy. Nothing was done while the unit was under warranty. Fast forward to this past summer (2019). I had a trailer place that I have used for years for all my out of warranty paid work do the grease and repack service. When they pulled the drums off, they found 3 of 4 brakes full of grease. Bingo - found my poor braking performance. The only thing they could tell me was that it was probably over-greased at the factory since it was like that since new. So my recommendation - have someone you trust physically look at the brakes and adjusters (if you don't have the auto-adjusters). Replaced my backing plates, bearings, everything on both axles - $900 later my brakes will lock up and grab at 5-6. Still needs more stopping distance than my last 5er but I'm 5000 pounds heavier.

If you are still not quite happy with the braking on your heavier rig and would like better braking than you could ever imagine, upgrade to disc brakes. I've been there with greased brakes, failed parts, and the last straw was an entire backing plate assembly coming apart, found when I was repacking the bearings last year. At our spring rally at Coos Bay last year, I had Performance Trailer Braking install electric over hydraulic disc brakes on our rig, and even with perfect drum brakes with the controller set to 10, I could never lock up the wheels. Now, we run the controller at 4.5 and the truck and trailer combination stops better and feels like one rig. There has been testing done, and the results are that just operating the disc brakes on the trailer can stop the combination much shorter than than the same truck and trailer, with the drums on the trailer, and both the truck and trailer brakes activated. https://performancetrailerbraking.com/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote