View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Getaway View Post
This was interesting as my wife and I have just ordered a new 2020 Montana 3761FL and now we are in the market for a truck. The 5th wheel is 41 feet long and we would like to get a 1 ton diesel, 6.5 foot bed and prefer an SRW so that we have a more user friendly truck to drive around when the trailer is parked. We are thinking a GM 3500 (GMC or Chevrolet), RAM 3500, or a F350. I am concerned about safety in driving in high winds, bad weather, etc. but I am told that the 2019 and 2020 trucks by GM, Ford, and Chrysler that are SRW have increased the towing capacity can handle the loads. Any opinions out there?
That is a heavy 5er with a shipping (empty) weight of almost 14,000 lbs. The traveling weight will depend on how heavy you load it as it has almost 2,900 lb cargo carrying capacity. Probably few people load up a ton and a half of extra stuff even when including water. But you could still easily push 16,000 lb or more total weight. That is a lot of weight
Then you must consider the loaded pin weight and the payload rating of the truck. The shipping pin weight, meaning the empty weight with no extra accessories is 2,880 lbs. But loaded it will be considerably higher. The washer/dryer is at the rear, so that is a plus if you intend to get them. Again, added pin weight all depends on how much stuff you load it with and how. But you could still easily push 4,000 lb pin weight. Add that to other weight on the truck, fuel, people, cargo in bed, etc, and you are way up there.
Now SOME configurations or new SRW trucks do go to 4,000 lb plus. But most configurations are less, and some much less. Even with the highest rated SRW truck I am not sure you could find one with a rating you would need.
I am all for having an SRW truck, if and only if, the weight ratings of the truck match the loaded weights of the trailer. And in this case I don’t think you can.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote