View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #14
dlleno
Established Member

M.O.C. #22200
Thats good advice and yes I have talked to both Andersen and Pullrite, who makes the same type of hitch with a few modifications I assume to avoid patent infringement.

I find that Pullrite is very open and honest about these matters while Andersen obfuscates the technical detail and attempts (at least in their communications with me) to make short bed owners feel like they are locating the pin weight over the rear axle when they are not. So yes my trust in Andersen is shaken because of this; I am less inclined to believe them because they tried to deceive me and I won't have any of it. If I end up getting this kind of a hitch it will be a pullrite and not an Andersen.

But all of that aside, once we understand that the pin is applied aft of the axle the question is "why is that so horrible?". Since yesterday I have begun to think about this issue differently. To be sure, when there is room (such as in a long bed) one should always locate the pin at or forward of the axle. But shortbed owners do not have the luxury: we have to look at all of the available solutions and assess all of the trade-offs (including this one) against the benefits. Here's an inventory of the options for short bed owners - let me me know what is missing

1. do nothing: (get a conventional hitch) and live with the cab clearance issue. thats not a good choice imho

2. adjust a conventional hitch (such as a B&W) to locate the pin behind the axle. this gives a little room but not as much as an Andersen. you get a little more cab clearance and create a very small lever for the trailer to steer the truck.

3. get a manual slider. optimizes highway driving by locating the pin where it should be, but adds the inconvenience of having to operate the manual slider and to know when to do so.

4. get an auto slider. optimizes cab clearance, eliminates the inconvenience of a manual slider, but makes it harder to hitch up (restricted hitching angles)

5. get a Pullrite or Andersen. these guys locate the pin further behind the axle but give you additional clearance and are the easiest to hitch up especially at angles or uneven ground.

I have to admit that once I laid out the options as above, the hitching benefits of the Andersen/Pullrite are attractive. To be sure, if one could guarantee near-flat surfaces and straight-on hitch angles, the auto-sliders are best hands down. but if you're willing to give up on the cab clearance benefit of the auto-slider, the newer unconventional hitches from Andersen and Pullrite are very compelling with a very small disadvantage in the form of sway control which, with late model trucks that are not overloaded, may in fact be a moot point.
dlleno is offline   Reply With Quote