View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 09:08 PM   #1
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Easy fix for the 3820FK ref/fan problem

Well I finally got around to fixing the problem of the refrigerator shutting down when the front maxair fan was turned on. Like many of you, I would rather fix things myself than deal with the hassle of dragging the fiver to the dealer and losing my camper for a month or more for a 30 min repair. I've seen some of the suggested repair options and think I came up with probably one of the easiest. For those of you wanting to fix this yourself WITHOUT dropping the bottom and running a whole new circuit from the panel to the frig this is for you.

step 1- Open the refrigerator service panel outside the rig and locate the two green/white wires running down the left side of the frig. Identify the one that is spliced in with brown wires going to the cold weather heater- leave this one alone this is the power feed going to the frig.

step 2- The green/white wire without any splices that goes directly to the control is the one you want- cut this wire about 2 inches from the control and wire nut each leg on the control side (cut each leg separately unless you disconnect the power so you don't short anything out)

step 3- verify that the frig is running and that the maxair fan and the kitchen ceiling lights are not. If the lights and fan don't work and the frig does you've cut the right wire.

step 4- using a drill with a 3/8 pilot bit, drill a hole from the propane compartment to the frig compartment. Drill your hole close to the front of the rig right next to the steel beam. With good hole placement you should have enough wire without having to add a piece.

step 5- Run the green/white wire down through the hole and into the hydraulic compartment. Silicone the hole after you run the wire.

step 6- Looking above the hydraulic valves at where the front wall and ceiling meet, locate the orange/white wire that feeds the outside work light. Cut this wire and verify that the work light no longer comes on

step 7- Wire nut the two oranges and the green together and then wire nut all the whites together.

step 8- That's it- close everything up. Make sure all the lights work (kitchen and work lights), turn on the fan and watch the frig keep running. Pour yourself something cold to drink and brag to the wife how you just saved the summer trip!
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote