Thread: Ez lube axles
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

I put a hydraulic jack under the axle near the u bolts. This lifts that axle up and the way the walking beams on the springs work , your other wheel stays on the ground. This puts no strain on your landing gear on the front and is the way your springs work when the front wheels jumps up on a curb before the rear one. This is also the way you would change a flat or service your wheel bearings but before I remove a wheel I put an axle jack under the axle I have raised. Lift one axle at a time and let the suspension do what it was made to do.

Jacking a heavy vehicle by the frame is a bad thing to do and that is why pickups always come with axle jacks. If you use a bumper jack on a loaded pickup you can bend the frame as no heavy vehicle is made to be lifted by the frame. That is why they always tell you to lower your rear stabilizers only to take a little weight and no more. If you start lifting one side of your Montana with the frame you are putting stress on your slideouts as well as your whole structure. They simply are not made for this. Use an axle jack, do one axle at a time and you can't go wrong. Take care, Don
This is good advice
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote