View Single Post
Old 07-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
Ronthecanadian
Established Member

M.O.C. #17882
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucBuckeye View Post
Ron, thank you for the detail. I will absolutely ask the previous owner of the land if they will forward me a copy of the well report - but again - the previous owners drilled the well, but did not install a pump. Apparently, if you can prove a a requisite percentage of Native American blood, a landowner could drill the well and send the bill to the state of Michigan. As I understand it, the landowner would be responsible for the cost of completing it by adding the pump(?). The previous owners did not complete it/add the pump.

Long story short, unless the state keeps records of these wells from 2007 (when the well was drilled and capped) I doubt I'll get my hands on the drilling report.

Now, regarding fracking in northwestern Michigan...you've just made me aware of yet another layer to this onion...a brief google search revealed fracking for natural gas in this previous pristine part of Michigan began in earnest a few years ago...hoping this is NOT the case...but I am concerned.

In October, I guess I'll start the process of elimination by replacing the anode rod in the water heater, then I'll flush the water heater, and see what happens.

...your post definitely has me concerned.
Here in Ontario the provincial government (Ministry of Environment) retains a copy of the Well records, if you know who drilled the well they may also be required to retain a copy.

Fracking is known to cause major issues with local well owners in other jurisdictions, as a former water operator in a large municipality I have talked with many US operators dealing with this issue.
I hope this is not the case, depending on the chemicals used by the fracking companies, the solution can become complicated.

Best of luck on the solution
Ronthecanadian is offline   Reply With Quote