View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
South Padre update

This is a post from a regular on the SPI Forum I am on, (I'm Sparky on there...) She has a generator so she is able to get out on the Internet.
Ozz

Re: Hurricane Dolly-Damage Reports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schlitterbaun is fine and their parking lot is being used as a staging area for search and rescue and Fema. Fema was supposed to be here at 8am with water, fuel and ice. Lots of confusion about it and as of about 9:30 they were not there, but a city vehicle just went by saying they were there so we are going to venture up there.

Sam and Lori went to Mississippi on a planned trip. We tried to get to their house yesterday but Laguana was flooded. Haven't really made it over to the Laguna side much.

The Wanna Wanna hotel is what took the hit - the bar (believe it or not) looked fine.

The convention center is a mess. Franke's development seemed fine.

The storage buildings at Sea Ranch looked fine from the road but no guarantees.

Boats left parked on trailers at Landfall - some turned over.

The large power lines/poles coming onto the island from Sea Ranch to the Boardwalk are all snapped and down. As are all the large poles from Bahia Mar to the convention center.

The Blue Marlin is fine - they have taken off their boards but employees are cleaning up and looks like bringing in generators for the cold stuff. Don't know that for sure - but they are not open.

Walmart - closed - everybody really - without power it is tough to be open - everybody but Hash at the Island Market. Last night his employees were letting people in one at a time and walking them through with flashlights - Hash (better known as CASH) had his calculator. Smart guy and so great that he was open.

We went over to PI to check our boat and condo - Port Isabel took a hard hit too but not as bad as the island.

For some reason cell service is down - ATT lasted all through the storm and through last night but now after it is all over it is out - go figure. Sprint seems to be working but Verizon, Nextel out.

Bahia Mar has several holes LARGE holes on the west end of the pink tower. Tiki sign, down and lots of roof damage.

Padre Grand - flooded - the windows in several of the penthouses blew out and our friends who have a condo on the 2nd floor had ankle deep water.

The dunes held - EXCEPT WHERE PROPERTIES REFUSE TO CULTIVATE THE DUNES.

The boy that fell off the balcony at the lighthouse was not just standing out there. The window of the condo he was in broke and he and his mother were trying to grab the curtains that were being sucked out and it sucked him out too. I understand he has several broken bones but is going to be ok.

The house on Constellation's address was 106 not 109 E. Constellation that I posted earlier.

I honestly don't think that the power will be back on til atleast monday. They are working hard on it but the number of power lines and especially the poles (some shattered and hanging) is more than you can count.

I know it is hard to be away, but if you can, I would. We decided that if there is another one of these that we will not stay. Camping out is tough, especially now that the sun is out and it is really getting hot. But we could also take off the boards off the windows to get fresh air. We all took a hot shower (our hot water heater still had hot water in it) and that made a big difference. Our next purchase - a propane tank and solar panels.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Melissa Zamora and the EM team - they have done a wonderful job. Kept people informed.

That is about all. We are going over to friends for a fish fry - thank goodness for propane.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote