View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I was wrong on slider

Haven't hit the 2 year mark yet on full timing. Put some miles on and probably stayed in 35 - 45 different campgrounds, some of which were hard to get into.

Have a 6 1/2 foot bed and a Reese slider. I have always been one of the guys that said "got the slider but never had to slide it".

Well, that almost all changed today, and I still can't believe it.

Almost level area, but narrow campground road I had to back from into short narrow site. No problem, I have done worse.

I had it cranked pretty hard but not anymore than I have had before. My new neighbor was sitting under his awning watching and hollered "watch your cab!"

I stopped my movement, got out and my Montana was within 1/4" of touching the corner of my cab. If I would have continued backing at that angle I would have damaged both the truck and Montana! I couldn't believe it.

I looked closer and figured out why this time was different at this angle. My Montana was leaning over too far. This was a sandy area and it had allowed the rig to lean too far as one side of the wheels sunk into the sand.

Needless to say I immediately thanked my new neighbor, went back to work getting the Monte backed in, which took another 15 minutes. Then I went over prior to setting up and thanked him twice more!

Guess I will be using my sliding feature after all depending on how tight some of these spots are.