View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Montana Landing Gear (Front Legs)

Hello

I have some interesting information you all may be interested in.

The landing gear (front legs) failed on our trailer in the first 60 days we owned it.

The selling dealer installed 2 new landing gear (front legs)

When they brought the trailer out to me the genius that repaired it told me the reason for the landing gear failing was because I had retracted them too far. So he drops the trailer and while I am getting backed up to it to hookup the dealer closes. When I tried to raise the trailer so my truck would go under it the landing gear didn’t work. Well being that I was all by myself and had to be upstate with the trailer by noon the next day I go looking to find the fuse blown. After getting a couple of fuses I still had problems. It turns out the genius had retracted the landing gear too far and jammed them in the up position.

About 18 months later the landing gear stops working. Leading up to this the landing gear had stated making groaning sounds. I tried everything from grease to pouring oil down the legs from the top. They finally quit working.

I cut one of the landing gear open to see what happened. The screw jack screw (#1012-03) and jack nut (910-10) had failed and locked up, there was a lot of steel shavings and plenty of oil / grease etc.

Because there isn’t any limiting device when I replaced them I put the new ones on the shop bench and extended them all the way out by hand. Then marked them 1 inch down from the outer housing (picture 1), then retracted them by hand all the way and extended them 1 inch and marked them again (picture 2 the mark is hard to see). By not exceeding the marks I figured I would not damage the screw jack.

Well the old saying “the plans of mice and men” the landing gear have started making the groaning noise again. I have weighed the trailer sitting on the landing gear with it fully loaded like it is when we travel and the landing gear is well under the published weight capacity.

I guess you just can’t win.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote