View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Built myself a shooter------- for you gun buffs

Quit some time ago I got the idea of building a .308 shooter. I have a CZ 550 heavy in this caliber for long range shooting and prairie dogs up to 500 yards. (Cross hairs pretty much cover the dogs at that yardage)
I got a friend that is real competent when it comes to working on rifles and with his advice I started gathering what I needed.
I picked up a FN 98 large ring Belgium made action. Replaced the safety and trigger a with a Dakota Safety and a Dayton Traister fully adjustable single stage trigger. To this I added a Shilen made Chrome Molly medium weight fitted barrel with a 1-10 twist and cut to 22". I then got a factory 98 stock which had to be re-shaped to a nice looking stock and added a Ebony fore end to it for looks along with a nice steel grip cap to give it some appeal. (none of the plastic stuff) and a whole lot of oil hand rubbing for a nice sheen look and glass bedded to fit the barrel. Added a kick-ezz recoil pad. The whole rifle was then sent to a gunsmith up the road where he did a nice bead-blast and a custom mat finish bluing. To top it off I got a set to Leupold bases and 30mm rings and mounted a 2.5-10x44 w/BDC Vortex Vipor HS scope on top. Bore sighted it and took it to the range to run a box of shells through it. It shoots nice with the Federal Premium 168 grain Sierra Matchking BTHP which is what I shoot in the CZ. Will be a dandy shooter for hunting. I suppose I'm bragging here but I like the way it turned out and thought I would share it with you folks

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote