Thread: Embarrassed
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
Embarrassed

As you notice in my signature, I retired from the Army. I spent almost 21 years in the military. I served as the lowest private, Gun Chief, Chief of Firing Battery, Drill Sgt., Operations Sgt., and as an Instructor at the NCO Academy. I served during Viet Nam, Granada, Panama, and Desert Storm. I was stationed at Ft. Lewis,WA., Ft. Sill,OK.,Ft. Hood,TX., Ft. Richardson,AK.,Schofield Barracks, HI., Germany, and a couple trips to Korea.
All of this means I am eligible for membership in the American Legion, which I consider a honor. The one gap in my resume is, for it all, I have never been assigned in a combat zone.
Recently, a gentleman noticed my"U.S.ARMY" hat and the "Retired" pin on it. He thanked me for my service and asked if I was a member of the "Veterans of Foreign Wars", to which I had to respond that I was not. After some discussion, he explained I would be eligible due to my service in Korea. Since there was never a formal surrender by either side, it is still considered a combat zone, and as such I qualify.
I find myself embarrassed to think I qualify for membership in this fraternity based on a technicality. How do you look other members in the eye, knowing what they endured to be eligible, yet you are there because you just happened to be stationed at the right location.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote