Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about our Montanas (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Moving Galley Tank Valve Handle (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61196)

Lenny K 12-02-2014 03:18 AM

Moving Galley Tank Valve Handle

Has anyone moved the location of the handle from underneath the slide to a more convenient position. It is a real pita to pull the handle when the slide is out as you have to get on your knees and crawl underneath the slide. I sure don't want to do that all winter.
I haven't checked yet to see if it is possible to buy a longer cable so as to be able to move it.

K0LCB 12-02-2014 03:31 AM

I never moved mine, but it looks like the belly cover had to be dropped on the 3750. I am not familiar with yours

JandC 12-02-2014 03:47 AM

I wonder if it would be easier to just get some type of 3' long pole with a hooked end on it, enabling you to push or pull the gate valve handle without actually crawling under there.

rohrmann 12-02-2014 04:43 AM

I feel pretty fortunate that, on our rig, the pull handle is actually easier to get at when the slides are out, as it is all the way forward under the rear slide. For those that have the almost impossible locations to access, it might be an excuse to install one of those electric valves, and locate the switch in the convenience center. If one were able to get an extra long cable, it would just make it more difficult to pull the valve open and closed.

racquetballfreq 12-02-2014 05:50 AM

I use the long handle that is for pulling down our awning, (no, it's not electric ;~(, to open/close the galley valve when my slide is open. Try it out.

bigred715 12-02-2014 06:55 AM

My galley handle is in the rear at a 45 degree angle and very hard to pull down. It takes 2 hands to pull down and is not supported well. The dealer replaced the tank after it was leaking. Maybe I'll try some vegetable oil to lubricate it.

drknapp 12-02-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by racquetballfreq

I use the long handle that is for pulling down our awning,
We do the same. Still have to get on a knee to see the handle, but at least you don't have crawl under the slide

Trailer Trash 2 12-02-2014 10:21 AM

I moved mine and love its new place. no more crawling on my hands and knees under a slide that has my sewer line running under it for me

7.3Ford 12-02-2014 10:47 AM

I cut a notch in 1" PVC pipe about three feet long. The notch hooks the handle for pulling or pushing the handle in or out. I also have slide distance marks on the same PVC pipe I use for measuring how far the slide comes out, so I have twice the fun with the same PVC pipe.

oldelmer1 12-02-2014 01:30 PM

I cut the back out of a 1/2 inch PVC T, clamped the cutout onto the pull handle of the valve. Then glued a small piece of PVC onto the single end of the T with a female end glued to it. Installed a pipe hanger onto the underside of the slide, then took a length of 1/2" PVC with a male end glued on.

So, I slide the male end thru the pipe hanger and screw it into the T and I can pull it anytime I need to.

Lenny K 12-03-2014 03:26 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. I had thought of using some sort of handle but did not think of using PVC. I will drop the belly cover and see what angle of run there is to install a cable that would not be a bear to use. If it doesn't look good, I will use PVC.

Capt Kidd 12-03-2014 04:36 AM

Rather than moving the handle I put another shut off valve at the end of the discharge line and just leave the one under the slide open. This has the advantage of also stopping the dribble that you commonly get when opening your discharge.

johnp4191 12-08-2014 02:56 PM

Our unit has 2 shut offs: the inconvenient one we leave open and the second one by the dump valve. I don't think we would be able to use this setup in freezing areas as there would be water in an outside line, but for warm weather it works great.

Judi

Jolu 12-08-2014 03:12 PM

What really works well for those pulls under the slides is a 48" sprinkler key that can be found at ACE Hardware. They are not all that costly. The key has a forked end. You simply place it in a vice and put a 90 degree bend in it and you then have a fork that will fit over the Tee Handle of the pull. It works for pushing the Tee Handle in also.
Here is a link for a 30" key on Amazon. Ace has 48" and a 30".
Link

mail2us 12-08-2014 03:16 PM

Mine works fine where it is

sgtpp214 12-13-2014 04:29 PM

I did just as Capt Kidd did.

Lenny K 12-14-2014 03:26 AM

Putting another shut off valve at the end of the discharge line and leaving it open won't work when dry camping as you have to deal with all that gray water when you want to dump the black. I still have to look how long of a run it is from the galley tank to the convenience centre and if it is less than 72" I should be able to purchase a replacement cable and move it. Does anyone know the distance by any chance?
I like Joe's solution of the 48" sprinkler key.

jfaberna 12-14-2014 12:20 PM

I just crawl under the slide and pull the handle. It gives me the opportunity to bang my head again. I don't feel that my day is going right if I don't bang my head into a slide or closet or compartment door.

Slink 12-22-2014 02:57 PM

I just get the wife to open and close it:D[:o)];)