Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   12Volt problem (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79719)

oddjobal 11-12-2019 02:49 PM

12Volt problem

2012 295RK. When turning on any inside light, or awning switch my DC Voltage drops to 7.5 v. 2 lights and it is under 5v. Slides, stab. The entire 12v section up in the front compartment seems it be constant battery voltage. Battery has been checked. Switch panel has been checked for loose wires and every connection is tight. Disconnected (1 at a time) wires going to the fuse block. Removed each wire 1 at a time, turned on a light and watched the voltage drop. Hoping to find 1 circuit causing the problem. I am starting to think it may be the converter. I can not think of anything else that is common? Does any one know where they hide the converter. I am using clip on lights that work on 120v. I am open to suggestions. The lack of information from Keystone is surprising.

beeje 11-12-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddjobal (Post 1166132)
2012 295RK. When turning on any inside light, or awning switch my DC Voltage drops to 7.5 v. 2 lights and it is under 5v. Slides, stab. The entire 12v section up in the front compartment seems it be constant battery voltage. Battery has been checked. Switch panel has been checked for loose wires and every connection is tight. Disconnected (1 at a time) wires going to the fuse block. Removed each wire 1 at a time, turned on a light and watched the voltage drop. Hoping to find 1 circuit causing the problem. I am starting to think it may be the converter. I can not think of anything else that is common? Does any one know where they hide the converter. I am using clip on lights that work on 120v. I am open to suggestions. The lack of information from Keystone is surprising.

With ALL power disconnected, take the cover off the electric panel. Check all connections and make sure they are tight. Check all ground connections in the front compartment area.
Your converter is most likely built into the panel box.

DQDick 11-12-2019 05:38 PM

On my 2010 the converter was under the stairs.

Ohioken7 11-12-2019 05:57 PM

My converter is screwed to the bottom of the bathroom floor. To access, I remove the wall of the front pass thru storage area. It is hard to work on it there with pipes etc., but that’s where they put it for me.

BB_TX 11-12-2019 07:45 PM

A loose or poor connection in your main power wire can cause a voltage drop like that. Good voltage until current starts to flow. But with current flow the resistance of the bad connection causes a voltage drop. And often overheating at that connection.

jcurtis934 11-13-2019 09:26 AM

If you aren't seeing 13 plus volts on the battery, your converter is not charging the battery. Don't know how they wired your unit, but you may want to check the auto reset breaker in the front compartment that isn't used for the hydraulic pump. People sometimes think these are connection blocks, but if one is flakes it won't reliably pass 12v current to the rest of the circuits.

oddjobal 11-14-2019 02:33 PM

all has been checked

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeje (Post 1166142)
With ALL power disconnected, take the cover off the electric panel. Check all connections and make sure they are tight. Check all ground connections in the front compartment area.
Your converter is most likely built into the panel box.

Still have not found the converter/inverter. All wires and lugs tightened. Still the same. I will hunt for the converter. Everything works using the remote. including the awning. Have not tested the scare lights.

beeje 11-14-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oddjobal (Post 1166332)
Still have not found the converter/inverter. All wires and lugs tightened. Still the same. I will hunt for the converter. Everything works using the remote. including the awning. Have not tested the scare lights.

Ok, plan B. Turn on ALL 12 volt items in the camper you can find to create a big draw on the converter, lights/water pump etc. See if you can hear its fan kick on. Follow the sound. Just guessing

Carl n Susan 11-14-2019 06:54 PM

They used to hide the converter in the wall behind the breaker/fuse panel in the bathroom on older 3400's. It can't be too far from the panel. Have you pulled the breaker/fuse panel out and explored behind it?

Ram Montana High Country 11-15-2019 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohioken7 (Post 1166154)
My converter is screwed to the bottom of the bathroom floor. To access, I remove the wall of the front pass thru storage area. It is hard to work on it there with pipes etc., but thatís where they put it for me.

My '17 305RL was screwed to the bathroom floor also. Double check the ground cable going to the frame. Mine was BARELY making contact. Measure the voltage at the battery and then unplug shore power and truck - check it again.

speedster100 11-15-2019 08:23 AM

Likely the converter and it is likely behind the wall in the pass through front compartment. There is generally a 50amp fuse and on occasion they have been known to blow. I carry extra's and I've had to install them in others converters. I blew one once and started carrying them, haven't had that issue myself but have seen it a few times in the past few years. To test the theory hook up a 12 volt battery charger to the battery and see if the voltage still drops. It shouldn't...... The other issue Could be a manual reset circuit breaker is tripped on the power supply line from the converter... Just traced it down and fixed one for a neighbor in the RV park that is beside us last week. Small little reset was hidden behind the wires but with a multimeter I managed to trace it down and was in process of removing wire from the CB when I seen the little reset. Could only see 11 volts on the system when everything off, went to 7 volts when trying to run any 12volt equipment. Pushed the reset and away everything went. Why they didn't install an auto reset CB on that circuit is beyond me........ good luck

oddjobal 11-21-2019 01:02 PM

12V problem

OK. #1. Thank you all for the great response. I pulled the fuse panel out. Tightened all the connectors and blocks.. On the DC side. I disconnected 1-12v wire at a time hoping that I might be able to isolate the problem. NOT. The converter/ inverter was not there. I did find it. It is under the bathroom behind the front compartment walls, behind the duct work, Not the easiest place to get to. I am sure it is not blown but there is a loose wire. I need to bench test it. I don't boondock, but I will fix the problem. I will add pictures for anyone to get a idea where it is located. Thanks again. I will post again

oddjobal 11-24-2019 04:00 PM

12v problem

3 Attachment(s)
Behind the middle panel, under the bathroom, all the way in the rear is the converter. Remover the 2 tank heater vents. AC plug goes through the wall and plugs into the fuse panel. If you have short arms, it is hard. Isolated the converter and measured 4.3VDC output. I will not remove the old one. Just disconnected the +/- and ground. Have enough lead length to relocate. Fuses showed good. I posted a few pictures. This is not a fun job. The AC plug is plugged into the rear of the fuse panel and is a 120v20A plug. Modified a junction box to test this. I will put it back together after Thanksgiving and will post an update

MARK A 12-04-2019 09:14 AM

Well, I see it was built before they quit using zip ties and semi-organized things. LOL
Hope you find your issue.

Mark

oddjobal 12-06-2019 12:05 PM

12v problem found

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oddjobal (Post 1167048)
Behind the middle panel, under the bathroom, all the way in the rear is the converter. Remover the 2 tank heater vents. AC plug goes through the wall and plugs into the fuse panel. If you have short arms, it is hard. Isolated the converter and measured 4.3VDC output. I will not remove the old one. Just disconnected the +/- and ground. Have enough lead length to relocate. Fuses showed good. I posted a few pictures. This is not a fun job. The AC plug is plugged into the rear of the fuse panel and is a 120v20A plug. Modified a junction box to test this. I will put it back together after Thanksgiving and will post an update

Purchased a new converter and have it in a better location. I installed it and ran a test. Turned on a lot of lights, fans and everything with in reach that work off of 12V. Voltage is holding solid. I left the old converter in, to hard to reach the back screws. Found a suitable location for new converter. Now it is time to put it all back together. This has been a problem from the time I purchased the Montana. What a can of worms. Now time to fish