Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (
-   Sitting around the Campfire (
-   -   Interesting bit of information! (

Dustytuu 04-21-2007 03:23 AM

Interesting bit of information!
Where Will You Get Your Driver's License in 2008?

A little publicized piece of federal legislation could create major headaches for fulltime RVers in the not-too-distant future. Called the "Real ID Act" the legislation passed in 2005 and signed by President Bush mandates that all states provide verification of all individual's identities when renewing their state-issued ID cards or driver licenses.

In addition to proving citizenship, those who renew (or apply for) state-issued cards will also need to provide proof of their principle residence address. Typically this would be in the form of a utility bill, showing the name and address of the applicant. What happens to the unnumbered masses of full time RVers who don't have utility bills because they don't have a "home" other than their wheeled residence?

We throw this one open for discussion, because like it or not, the deadline is coming up quickly. The law requires states to begin the verification process in May 2008. States may apply for an extension to December 2009 in order to prepare their agencies for the extra work. What will you do to "prove up" your residence? Without the federally sanctioned ID, you won't be able enter federal facilities, nor fly on federally regulated aircraft. While some states have decried the federal law and say they won't go along with it, it will certainly prove interesting to see how this all shakes out.

For a breakdown of information on this law, visit The National Conference of State Legislatures website. Or check out an entry in Wikipedia--but note, some dispute the neutrality of the article's contents.

I got this from an RV news letter.

ols1932 04-21-2007 04:16 AM

For Escapees with an address on Rainbow Dr. in Livingston (Rainbow's End Park), there was a court case a few years back when a politician decided that since he was beaten for reelection, that it was the Escapees who beat him. He filed a lawsuit to outlaw us from having an address there. He lost. The court ruled that we are legitimate residents at Rainbow's End Park. Our driver's licenses have our address and PMB there; our vehicles are registered and insured there; we vote there; and we fulfill jury duty there (when we are in town). They recognize that our lifestyle is such that we are not always there but are very happy to have us there.


adelmoll 04-21-2007 04:37 AM

The same thing holds true for those of us that are from South Dakota. Since the only time that we HAVE to go back to South Dakota is to renew our drivers license every five years (eye exam)it should not be a problem. We have plenty of ID with our names and address on it. I mention "have to" only because we happen to love South Dakota and do return there at least once a year and sometimes more.


LonnieB 04-21-2007 05:25 AM

It must already be in effect in NM. Last week when I renewed my CDL, I had to supply my birth certificate, SS card, and 2 proofs of residence.

Dustytuu 04-21-2007 10:00 AM

How would we establish residence in SD if we are not escapees? Or anywhere?

adelmoll 04-21-2007 12:50 PM

You do not have to be a member of Escapees for residency in South Dakota or Florida. I'm not knocking Escapees because I am a very active member of the Orginization but for us South Dakota was the better choice for us to make our residency. It was a very simple process that started with a phone call. I posted a step by step procedure not too long ago and you might be able to find it by doing a search. If not, PM me and I will be happy to tell you what we daid and why. You do have to go there once every five years.


Tom Gina 06 04-22-2007 05:21 PM

We are in the same position and we work. I being a "hours of service" employee am covered by a special law that states we can claim our residence anywhere. We chose to stay SD residents account the cost savings for many things from insurance, sales tax, to licensing. If you have a mail forwarding service (MFS) address all I would do is take in a couple of my bills that go to that address. Cell Phone and Direct TV should work even if they change the law. The idea for us was to have the mailing forwarding address even after living in SD for 22 yrs. The month after we left I recieved a summons for jury duty and all I had to do was contact the court house and fill out their form showing I was out of state. No questions, no problems...... The MFS runs around 10.00 a month plus postage and a slight fee for any court house needs. I have purchased 2 vehicles since we left and the MFS took care of everything for me. You also can renew your DL up to 6 months in advance of the due date. I am due in Dec. of this year and will renew when I return in June. Best part is once you head to SD for a visit you will find out that it is a great place to spend some time. In the more rural areas be-ware because everyone you meet waves!!! It is the SD way so please feel free to wave back or just try waving for the fun of it.

SKOOBDO 04-24-2007 08:45 AM

My only legal address is in South Dakota (Alternative Resources). I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I figure a Directv bill and Verizon Cell phone bill with the South Dakota address will suffice...but I guess I will find out a year from now ;) Thanks Dustytuu...very informative information. I heard about the new Act but never really looked into it. I guess we will all find out soon. Thanks again!

bob n pam 04-24-2007 02:08 PM

Very interesting. It will be time for us to renew in SD in 2008, me in January and Bob in October. Thanks for the heads up.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.