Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum

Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/index.php)
-   Additions & Improvements (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Expansion, accumulator tank! (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79024)

Sdgood1 09-07-2019 06:31 PM

Expansion, accumulator tank!

Pros and cons for using expansion, accumulator tank on your Monty ?? Does it help with noise? That would be my biggest reason for putting one on.

JPDoege 09-07-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sdgood1 (Post 1159090)
Pros and cons for using expansion, accumulator tank on your Monty ?? Does it help with noise? That would be my biggest reason for putting one on.

Just replaced the FloJet with a Shurflo 4008 and added a Shurflo Accumulator. Adding braided lines to isolate the pump. Sitting next to the pump with the panel removed i can barley hear it run. This is a big change from the noise in the bathroom, sounded like someone knocking on the underside of the shower. Piece at LAST!!!

DQDick 09-07-2019 08:04 PM

What it should do is lower the number of times the pump comes on. We installed all the noise suppression toys and ideas on our old rig and it didn't make enough difference to have been worth the time and money. Others will feel differently.

Daryles 09-07-2019 10:43 PM

I bought an accumulater and brought it with me to the rally. I will be installing it while I am here. Pics and results to follow.

rohrmann 09-08-2019 01:18 AM

Another reason to install an accumulator/expansion tank is to keep water from leaking out of the TP valve on the water heater. There is a check valve on the city water connection, and when using hot water which turns on heat to bring the water heater back hot again, water will expand, and when it has no where to go, the TP valve will open to relieve the pressure because water can not go back out the hose like in a S/B house. This also happens when dry camping.

psomers 09-09-2019 06:52 AM

Where is best place to plumb in expansion tank? On my unit when hot water is on pressure is so high flushing toilet is hard.

Daryles 09-09-2019 07:58 AM

Found this on Keystone RV forum
Expansion tank
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=17281
He installed a 4 gal expansion tank. The one I got is only .5 gal. I may rethink this and go with a 2 gal one. One guy spoke of putting it under his sink with a T fitting and drain valve for winterizing. Good idea.

Clyde n Deb 09-18-2019 02:17 PM

I installed one of the small capacity ones a few years ago. I installed it right after the pump in that line. Was able to tie in where the existing fittings were, and din't have to cut/splice anything. Insulated the pump from the wood floor with a couple of pieces of rubber mousepad. It has been an awesome update and problem free. On our trip this past weekend, I noticed the noise level picking up abit and pump starting quicker than usual. Think I need to check the air pressure and likely add some air. I haven't touched it since I first installed it.

Bill M 09-18-2019 04:33 PM

Following. Can some pictures be posted on the install, etc

Last2Die 09-18-2019 05:58 PM

following too, would like to learn more, and also get more pressure from the pump or install new pump, sounds like another project...

JamesD 09-18-2019 06:43 PM

The one I have is small and attaches directly to the pump outlet.
Even though it's not very big, it reduces how much the pump runs by quite a bit.

Clyde n Deb 09-18-2019 09:03 PM

Exactly James, and it works great. Shurflo #2199. at CW now for $54.99 less 15%. No regrets. Now as a disclaimer we are not full timers. Install is simple.

paulinbaja 09-19-2019 07:28 AM

It alone will not lower the noise when the pump is running. BUT for those middle of the night "piddle" adventures it may prevent the pump from starting for that flush.

JamesD 09-19-2019 10:46 PM

The biggest difference I noticed was when taking a shower, using the dishwasher, or the W/D combo, but it does keep the pump from running just for a quick flush or small glass of water.

jetskier 09-19-2019 11:08 PM

Be aware...when it has to refill the accumulator tank, the pump runs for a while. With a 2 gallon tank, it took about a minute. The more capacity, the longer the refill time. It is nice not having the pump run the second you crack a valve open. I had it on my old trailer, but haven't done it on the new. Still have the tank in the garage.

JamesD 09-21-2019 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde n Deb (Post 1160374)
Exactly James, and it works great. Shurflo #2199. at CW now for $54.99 less 15%. No regrets. Now as a disclaimer we are not full timers. Install is simple.

The SHURFLO Black 182-200 Accumulator Tank is $35.53 with free shipping on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-182-2...gateway&sr=8-4

The 182-201 model is priced the same as Camping World