PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Trip

Sunshine
05-16-2005, 05:25 AM
Haven't checked the archives on this, so if there is a thread there that someone remembers, feel free to enlighten me. We, along with 2 other couples are considering a trip next year on the Alcan to Alaska. None of us has made this trip before. I'm thinking going with a group like the Good Sam Caraventures or one of the other companies would be a good idea. Would appreciate any and all input - safer, worth the $$$, etc., etc., etc.?

rogersuemegan
05-16-2005, 08:54 AM
We are also planning a trip to Alaska next summer. Thinking about leaving in early June and return when we feel like it or ther money runs out, which ever comes first! This is our 5th camper - 3rd fifth-wheel. We have been to Alaska once before, but it was a long time ago, 1984, and we flew, so missed all thats inbetween here and there. We have one other couple that is interested in traveling with us and we would love to meet up with others. Our thoughts on traveling is to not spend all our time together, but rather set up places to meet every few days, and then we could each do what we want but still have the safty of having someone else know where we should be and when. We thought that spending a few days together, and then doing our own thing would be fun, and just playing it by ear as we go along. If anyone else is interested in checking this out lets get a thread going on the subject. We are retired, and have a very spoiled yorkie that goes everywhere with us!!!

Kimmrg
05-17-2005, 01:33 AM
First off, congrats on your choice of traveling to AK. We lived in Fairbanks for 25 years and loved it. We traveled down just last fall and are now full timing for awhile. Number one on the list: GET A MILEPOST MAGAZINE! This is the most informative piece you will ever see. It gives literally a mile by mile travelog of the route. (This area is burned by a fire in '62, this campground is not suitable for large vehicles, stop here for good pie...you get the drift.) You can get them at camping World and all bookstores. It gives you several options for making your way through Canada, my favorite goes through Bampiff (sp?) the canadian rockies, although it is hilly. We came down through the center this last time.

The roads are great. Don't let old stories scare you. We saw only one construction area the whole trip down. The road is paved all the way. Once you get to Dawson Creek you are on the official Alaska Hwy and it's terrific through to Delta Junction, Fairbanks or you can veer off and go to Anchorage.

I don't think traveling with a caravan is necessary, but I love the idea that you travel in two's in case you need a back up. We had the ultimate breakdown coming to the MOC rally last fall, 200 miles from the nearest dealer outside of Dawson Creek, and I spent time on the side of the road in the trailer, but we were able to get all things fixed, towed in and the folks were terrific! Don't let those worries bother you. It is after all an adventure! Things are just a little farther apart.

The caravan may also get you to see some things, when you might want to see others. There are many beautiful and rugged places. Don't miss Fairbanks, its pretty much the end of the road unless you want to go up to the oil fields. The salmon bake and the Discovery Boat ride are great, my favorite campground there is Rivers Edge. Don't forget to go gold panning. I worked at the Tanana Valley Fair in Fairbanks, so I am pretty clueless about other summer adventures. We plan to return in summer of 2006 so I can see all the summer things I missed over the years. If you happen to be in AK and can catch a Fair, Fairbanks in August, Homer in July/August or the big one in Anchorage over Labor Day, it would be worth the trip as they all have great food and crafts.

Once you get into AK there are only a few major roads, so everyone travels them. The Parks Hwy between Fairbanks and Anchorage is the quickest, the Richardson is more hilly and more picturesque and just a little longer. The road to Homer from Anchorage is a must see, it's beautiful!

Think layered clothes and don't forget your winter jacket. It literally can snow anytime during the year, but also gets to 90 degrees in the summer. I think that June, July and August would be best weather wise, but it gets a little rainy in August, and for those who might still want to see snow, May is the perfect month.

Whoosh - can you tell I love AK? Have a great trip and let me know if I can help with more suggestions.

Sunshine
05-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the replies and good information. As we go about planning this trip, I know that we will have lots of questions and will be asking them here. You've given us good information to start with.

jrgwdenner
05-18-2005, 01:12 AM
Kim, thanks for your great post.
Sunshine, we are about three weeks from leaving on our trip to Alaska. The first part will be spent visiting family and we will enter Canada around July 8th. I can be that specific because I have an itinerary planned for our entire trip. It's purpose is to get an idea of how far we have to travel to get from point A to point D within a certain amount of time. The number of days planned in each area is scheduled but very subject to change. But if we stay at place A for 5 days instead of four, we know we'll need to pick up a day somewhere else. That said, we have very few reservations so we can be very flexible.

I used Streets and Trips to plan our travel segments and locations. Then we will fill in with ideas from our Milepost magazine as we travel, which I have had since last year. I've been planning this trip for almost a year and planning is part of the fun.

Someone once wrote that when you ride in a caravan all you see is the back of the trailer ahead of you. Glen and I are going alone but have purchased some emergency travelers' insurance and Good Sam towing insurance. I understand that because everyone is in the same boat up there, people are very willing to assist one another.

We plan to drive up on Hwy 93 north of Flathead Lake to Banff, the one Kim wrote about. We'll take the western route coming back so we reenter in Washington State.

I can't help much with the sights of Alaska but if you have any questions about the planning part, feel free to ask. Judy

HamRad
05-18-2005, 02:57 AM
jrgwdenner,
Judy you folks are living my dream. I so want to travel to Alaska but so far have not been able to convince the other half that WE want to go. :-) Soon I hope.

You folks enjoy your trip..... I know you will.

See you on down the road. HamRad

rogersuemegan
05-18-2005, 04:01 AM
JRGWDENNER Please keep us posted about your trip, would love to here about it as you go. I know you will have a wonderful time, how long will you be gone? Also let us know about the price of fuel, can't wait until next year when we will be going, we have our Milepost on the table between our lazyboys, and look at it often as we plan our trip. Will be thinking about you and have you in our prayers for traveling safty. Oh yes there are several quilt shops in Alaska for you to stop in a visit, (I plan on doing while hubby is out on a charter fishing trip) Have a great time!!!!

jrgwdenner
05-18-2005, 05:29 AM
Hamrad and Sue, thanks so much for your kind words. We will appreciate your prayers for our safety, Sue. And I know about those quilt shops and will check out as many as I can, but....not when Glen is out fishing. He has to take me along on the fishing trips. It's been a favorite family activity forever.

Several on the forum have asked me to post as we travel so I will post whenever I can. Sure hate to discuss those gas prices though! We have made a point to not let it interfere with our trip as the Lord has blessed us with this time to go.

jrgwdenner
05-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Sue, I forgot to answer your question: we'll be gone from home for five months. We enter Canada on July 8th, Alaska on July 25th. We leave Alaska on or about August 28th and enter the USA on September 22nd. Then we'll be heading for the rally after some time on the Oregon coast. We'll be back to Alabama in mid-November, Lord willing. We figure we'll know whether or not we want to fulltime by the time this trip is over.

Sunshine
05-18-2005, 05:43 AM
Judy, Thanks for all the good information - hope you will be able to keep the forum updated on the adventure as it unfolds. I'm sure we will have plenty of questions as the planning progresses.