PDA

View Full Version : Austin City Limits

Montana_2779
05-12-2005, 04:49 AM
Heading to Austin for a three-day weekend starting tomorrow. We'll be in Austin's Lone Star RV Resort (I've heard really nice things about this place!). If you're there, stop by and say howdy. We'll have photos of the place next month on our website.

vickir
05-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Pete ... we spent a month there in '03 and it is a very nice park. They have wi-fi there (not free though) so you might want to ask for a site that will give you a good connection. I believe they were going to reconfigure the antennas for better coverage throughout the park.

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend the Hickory Street Bar & Grille, near the capitol. Good burgers and wonderful salad bar ... we loved it.

Have fun in Austin ... are the bats back yet? We missed them when we were there.

Montana_2779
05-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks! We'll try the Hickory Grill. The bats will be our main attraction for the weekend. Got to see them in the dark last October. Pretty neat, but hard to get a real handle on the size of the colony. We're hoping for a twilight viewing this time. Also going to try one of the van tours around town-- we'll see how that goes. Hopefully it will give us a fair glimps of some attractions to go back to on our own.

sreigle
05-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Pete, just in case the park neglects to tell you, you can get a free breakfast each morning of your stay, at their office. It's a very decent breakfast, not continental breakfast. Ask them about it and be sure to get the free tickets for the breakfast.

If you have time to take the tour of the Capitol Building, it's definitely worth the trip. Everything about the place is "Texas" -- biiig, right down to the hinges on the main doors! And the inside of the dome. Etc. Etc.

And the Texas History Museum is really well done and worth a trip. You probably won't have time for all this on a three day trip, though.

Enjoy your trip!

Montana_2779
05-18-2005, 11:17 AM
It was quite the whirlwind. We got to see the bats, The Bullock Museum, Capitol Building, the 90-minute van tour of the extended city, two midnight movies, the Lady Bird Johnson Flower Gardens, the Austin Zoo, a free breakfast, an ice cream social, several local eateries and two long naps!! This was also our first trip out as fulltimers (everything we own on-board, away from our home park). As such, we even had our regular "date night" at the on-property laundrymat doing a few loads. What more could a guy ask?!

By the way-- we saw the Hickory but never got back to eat there. I'd highly recommend a hole in the wall BBQ place called Iron Works (it's pretty close to 5th and I-35). Outstanding grub and it was relatively empty on Saturday night.

sreigle
05-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Wow, you covered a lot of territory in a short time! No wonder the naps!

Bullock Museum, that's the one I was talking about when I said the history museum. I forgot it's name. I like the big entry wall with the "Don't Mess With Texas" on it.

Glad to hear you had a fun trip. But it wears me out just thinking about it!