PDA

View Full Version : Crystal River, FL to Tybee Island, GA

Joyce H
04-07-2005, 06:25 AM
We have the truck hooked up and will be pulling out of the Encore in Crystal River tomorrow morning. Our first stop will be at Tri Am in Ocala where we have an appointment at noon to have the unit checked before heading north. Will overnight at the Encore Ocala north tomorrow night (April 8) and then head for Tybee Island, GA for a few nights. Right now have reservations for 3 nights, April 9,10,11. Staying at Rivers End on Steve & Vicki's recommendation. Will then be heading north toward our vacation home in the mountains of WV. Will keep you posted as we travel if we have computer access. Have no local access number when we reach the vacation house so may be absent from the forum for sometime. Will miss you all. Safe travel to all!!! For those just getting into your camping season, enjoy the summer.

tollmann
04-07-2005, 08:56 AM
Good luck on your trip. We look forward to seeing you again next year in the Crystal River area.

Iowafan
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Joyce, we are at Skidaway Island State Park until the 12th. River's End has wireless. We'll be in the area until the 12th, just 30 miles from Tybee. We may come over and look you up this weekend. Safe travels. Glen and Judy

Montana_1280
04-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Joyce and Tom,
Enjoyed meeting you folks in Crystal River. We are back at base camp in Virginia. Not sure where we will head next.
Be safe and happy trails.
Phil and Ann

sreigle
04-09-2005, 06:38 AM
JoyceH, how are you liking Riversend and Tybee? Have you been to The Breakfast Club there? By any chance is Sandra Bullock there right now? We found her house but she was not in Tybee when we were there. Apparently she frequents the Breakfast Club. Anyhow, which site are you in? I think the site you are in makes all the difference in the world as to how you like that park. I forgot the number we were in but Vicki would know. I think 140 was our favorite with a couple next to that close to the top. We were not in those.

Say 'hi' to John, Pam, Walt and the others for us there in the office.

Joyce H
04-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Hi Steve & Vicki, Good to see you back online when I signed on. We arrived at Rivers End a little after noon today. We are in Site 88 right on the front road in a pull through. We have reservations until Tuesday so will withhold how we like it. I went by the office to say your hellos, but the girl behind the desk said she was not here during the winter, so will keep trying. LOL We just had lunch and a walk to the beach and are off shortly to search out a good restaurant. Any suggestions?? Catch you later.

sreigle
04-09-2005, 04:05 PM
We were in 89! Despite being by the street it was very quiet.

Breakfast, The Breakfast Club in "downtown" Tybee, on the main drag. Be sure to check out the beach and pier in that area too.

Lunch or dinner - for a great hamburger - The Quarter Bar and Grille. It's a dive but the food is excellent.

For a real dinner, The Lady and Sons in downtown Savannah. Plan on standing in line for 45 minutes. We went for lunch and got in in 20 minutes even though they told us to expect 45. This is run by that lady on the cooking channel. I forgot her name. Food is fabulous and really reasonably priced. We had the buffet. Take your camera if you go here.

The Crab Shack at Tybee wasn't bad if you like seafood. We don't really care for seafood but went anyhow. Vicki ate her first crab. I had a couple of bites of hers then continued with my ribs. The ribs were just 'ok'. It's a great local color place, though.

We had lunch one day at One Eyed Lizzie's on River Street in Savannah. It was really good. Mrs. Wiltz or Wilt's or something like that is supposed to be really good.

We met a friend who lives on Hilton head at The Pink Pig in Levy, SC, about 25 miles from you. It's definitely local color (they sell tshirts, too!) and the BBQ was very good. The Pink Pig was featured on some tv show awhile back as best of something or other.

I don't know which way you walked to the beach but if you walk or drive towards the beach (east, I think) along that road right in front of your rig, you come to the lighthouse and museum. You can park there but have to pay a meter during the day. Walk through the walkway to the beach and there is North Beach Grille. We had lunch there a couple of times and it was good. We had the burgers so don't know how the steaks are. The beach by this place is our favorite part of the beach. Lots of great shells (Vicki got some really nice, large conch shells, among other things) and a very nice beach to walk on.

Probably some other folks who have been there can help with restaurants for you.

Walt is the owner, John and Pam work there. Walt might not remember us unless you tell him we were there for two months and attended the potluck dinners and were in the Montana. For John and Pam, just mention "spice cake" and they'll remember. John is the wi-fi guy and is a very dedicated guy. He even worked on the wi-fi on his days off several times.