PDA

View Full Version : Are fuel prices changing your travel plans?

prndl
03-12-2022, 03:38 PM
I am in sunny SoCal where diesel is approaching $7/gallon. For me to just get out of the state the fastest I travel east on the 10 to Blythe. That will cost me $172 just to get to the border. I know fuel is less outside California but by the summer where will it be?

We were planning on going to Colorado in August (have reservations) and then just winging it from there going north and then west and finally coming home. That little jaunt will probably cost up to $3000 just in fuel round trip.

I'm not cancelling yet but it does give me pause considering all that is going on.

Wondering if anyone else is making changes or cancelling plans?

Has anyone noticed any decreased in occupied spaces in campgrounds?

Edit: This is not to be a political thread, go somewhere else. I just want to take the temperature of fellow RVers about camping this season. Like, if people are cancelling reservations I might have a better chance of finding a camping site while on the road. Or, finding popular attractions less crowded. We all have our opinions on why the prices are going up. It's the result I'm interested in finding out about. Thanks.

wed
03-12-2022, 03:48 PM
No wish it would settle down. We are still going to go to two regional rallies and the national rally if it doesn’t get a lot crazier

uhftx
03-13-2022, 12:49 PM
staying local. Less than 100 miles one way. Unless cost keep going up. Then it will be 100 miles round trip max. The cost of CG fees are at an all time high due to covid and the explosion of go rving commercials years ago. The amount of units in my neighborhood is up 70% of what it was back before the advertizing campaign and without the covid crap. At one time I could call on a Tuesday or even Wednesday for reservations that weekend. It has been a very long time since that was possible. Now I'm most likely to get a safari field or "if you had a tent trailer" statement.

mlh
03-13-2022, 12:59 PM
I’m not changing my travel plans. If my wife can travel I’d like to go to Wyoming this year. She has back trouble so if she feels like she can we will. Which camper do we take, the Montana or the motor home. I’d much rather take the Montana. The motor home is well a motor home. There isn’t much good to say about a motor home except it’s convenient.
Lynwood

navybanker
03-13-2022, 01:45 PM
Changed our plan that had us leaving for Florida this week. Yes, fuel cost is a concern. However, not being able to find enough diesel is a larger concern. Lived through this in 1979 when many stations were out of "gas" and could only purchase ten gallons if they had it. This was before retirement and RVing. We traveled out west in 2008 when fuel was actually higher based on inflation. Taking a "wait and see" at this point. Luckily, was able to move reservations forward a few weeks.

Carl n Susan
03-13-2022, 03:31 PM
I went RVing in 2008 when diesel hit $5+ in CA. I will go RVing in 2022 regardless of the price. You never know how much longer you can sustain this life style so enjoy it while you can. Will I adjust to offset the increased cost? Yes - but dry camping is fine with me.

DadsHemi
03-13-2022, 04:51 PM
Nope, Headed to Florida in April

mlh
03-13-2022, 05:37 PM
I went RVing in 2008 when diesel hit $5+ in CA. I will go RVing in 2022 regardless of the price. You never know how much longer you can sustain this life style so enjoy it while you can. Will I adjust to offset the increased cost? Yes - but dry camping is fine with me.

This reminds me of my neighbor. He lived about 3/4 of a mile through the woods from us. He was a true American original. He had two saying I remember. Boy, we ainít guaranteed another minute. And boy, any of these new cars will last you a lifetime if you drive them fast enough. Both are as true today as they were fifty years ago.
If you can go camping go. As for me. Iíd rather spend my money than leave it for someone to throw a party after I die. Go enjoy yours because someone is going to throw a party after you check out.
Lynwood

skippydoo
03-13-2022, 06:02 PM
We are NOT canceling our plans this summer.

Some families may have to stay a little closer to home. That is always fun too.

Hope everyone can get out and use their camper. Whether traveling near or far.

Life is indeed too short.

mhs4771
03-13-2022, 06:05 PM
Sort of hope that the higher fuel cost will have others cancelling reservations so we can get in as we're not changing any plans. Worked hard too long and to much money tied up in the RV and TV to just let them sit.

Montana Man
03-13-2022, 11:04 PM
I calculated the fuel costs for a trip to Yellowstone. The difference between what fuel was last year to today's price was $450. I will pay to go regardless but it put the whole thing in perspective. If the added fuel costs reduces congestion at overcrowded destinations then that's worth it right there.

RMcNeal
03-14-2022, 06:17 AM
I have to agree with Michelle and Ann. Since Covid, we have had a lot of issues trying to get camp sites, overcrowding, etc. Hopefully, this cloud of high fuel prices has a silver lining.

mlh
03-14-2022, 04:05 PM
The price of crude is down today by about 5 or 6%.
Lynwood

DQDick
03-14-2022, 06:30 PM
We won't be changing plans because this is the first year we have both our Monty's on permanent lots, so we won't be hauling down the road anymore. Traded the truck for a new car and a big check back in November when it's value was 5 grand more than we paid for it. So we towed 65,000 miles and got paid a fair amount to do it.

Dave W
03-15-2022, 06:35 AM
We wont be traveling much this summer, giving up our seasonal site but diesel cost ($4.99-$5.29 yesterday) is not the only reason. We will be moving and majorly downsizing our home. We also may be putting the 5er on the for sale list since our new place wont have a storage area. Oh well!!!!

socoinc
03-15-2022, 07:04 AM
Was gonna go to Elkhart Rally. Not with fuel prices they way they are. Staying within 600 miles of my house. So that gives me Idaho Montana & Wyoming. I’ll be doing a lot of fly fishing & rafting this spring & summer.

socoinc
03-15-2022, 07:13 AM
9.05 a gallon for diesel yesterday in LA. Will that change your plans?
My son had to fill his Peterbilt yesterday. $1,800

Montana Man
03-15-2022, 08:03 AM
Was gonna go to Elkhart Rally. Not with fuel prices they way they are. Staying within 600 miles of my house. So that gives me Idaho Montana & Wyoming. Iíll be doing a lot of fly fishing & rafting this spring & summer.

That sounds like vacationing enough for me right there!

mlh
03-15-2022, 02:26 PM
We may not need to worry. The price of a barrel of oil dropped back to under a $100 today. The oil market rises like a rocket and falls like a feather so don’t expect any relief tomorrow.
Lynwood

Daryles
03-15-2022, 03:07 PM
Yes!!
Lol :)

MandK
03-15-2022, 04:04 PM
Pulled from Ft Myers to Savannah. Unhooked and got fuel today. 45 gallons @ $5.299. $238 and change. Yikes. When we pulled down to Florida before New Years it was $3.439. $155 +/-.
$83 difference per tank (48 gallons, close enough)
We will cut back, but we’re still traveling. It’s what we enjoy doing. 1 less dinner away from the rv per week maybe, don’t know, but we’ll figure it out. Hang in there.

DutchmenSport
03-15-2022, 04:49 PM
I really do not like saying this, but I really am sick and tired of seeing this same question pop-up on every camping forum on planet earth, over and over again.

We all know fuel prices are high and that will definitely affect how far one drives an RV for pleasure or entertainment. We all know why prices are high. That doesn't need to be hashed, and rehashed over and over again. Those that can still afford it will continue. Those that cannot, will not. But, life will go on.

It wasn't THAT long ago these exact same conversations and forum posts were discussed over and over, and over and over, Will the rising cost of fuel affect your travel plans.

This happened when fuel prices hit $2.00 a gallon, then $3.00 a gallon, at $4.00 a gallon again. Same story, same song-song.

Those who said they'd quit when and if it hit $2.00 a gallon ... well, they are still traveling. Life goes on.... you see!

Kyle and Lisa
03-16-2022, 10:29 AM
Yes, this is the 3rd time we have cancelled a year of trip plans since covid started. Currently in Camp Verde Az. for 2 months, and then heading back to Tx./ Ok. for the summer and start looking for a permanent rv site and then to Fl. for the winter to do the same. September will be 5 years fulltime.:socool::socool::socool:

MARK A
03-20-2022, 02:08 PM
Once you leave Commiefornia fuel is 4.80-5.50.
I intentionally planned our trip without ANY Commiefornia travel.

Mark

hookseter
03-20-2022, 02:26 PM
You want to travel, travel! You want to stay, stay! Gotta roll with the punches. I live full time in my Monty. I'm in an RV park. The price of diesel will not stop me from doing what I want. You can have fun wherever you go, or don't go. Almost every year this happens. Do what's going to make you happy!!!!

Trevor
03-20-2022, 02:46 PM
Looks like around here the prices are starting to come down ,a little anyway. How far they go and how long it stays down is yet to be determined.

Byron B
03-20-2022, 02:53 PM
We will travel from central Texas up to Oshkosh for the Airshow and volunteer (work) for a couple of months as per normal. We live and work with a great bunch of folks and don’t wish to miss that experience. Not sure yet where we will go after Oshkosh but we will try not to let the expense deter us from living our lives. As we are not guaranteed tomorrow, we will continue to live as normal. At least until the money runs out!

Dogman1
03-20-2022, 03:20 PM
No weíre not changing our plans. Weíre in CT and keeping our plans for RI, VT, Cape and possibly NH. Diesel is about $5 a gal now. Iíd rather spend a little more in fuel than I normally do and enjoy ourselves rather than save $ and stare at a 5th wheel in my backyard.

Denali
03-20-2022, 03:28 PM
Booked a trip to Yellowstone last year for this year. I budgeted $4.00 a gallon for diesel, around here diesel is $5.00 a gallon. Iím hoping it gets no higher than $6 bucks a gallon. I knew diesel was going up this year with the virus over and everyone wanting to go somewhere. If there is not a shortage Iím still going. At 76 time may be short

CaptnJohn
03-20-2022, 04:10 PM
May 2 when we get home from Florida we will have been on the road over 8 months, going to stay there about 2 months and start again. Some reservations already made more to go. I didn’t stay home over Covid and not going to now. We just bought another new Montana in November and at 74 who knows how many trips I have left? A friend hibernated 18 months in Covid fear, finally made reservations for a month away and died before he hitched up.

dfb
03-20-2022, 04:50 PM
I really do not like saying this, but I really am sick and tired of seeing this same question pop-up on every camping forum on planet earth, over and over again.

We all know fuel prices are high and that will definitely affect how far one drives an RV for pleasure or entertainment. We all know why prices are high. That doesn't need to be hashed, and rehashed over and over again. Those that can still afford it will continue. Those that cannot, will not. But, life will go on.

It wasn't THAT long ago these exact same conversations and forum posts were discussed over and over, and over and over, Will the rising cost of fuel affect your travel plans.

This happened when fuel prices hit $2.00 a gallon, then $3.00 a gallon, at $4.00 a gallon again. Same story, same song-song.

Those who said they'd quit when and if it hit $2.00 a gallon ... well, they are still traveling. Life goes on.... you see!
I believe the question is will "these prices," change plans? For us it will. We will not travel across the country as in years past. However. We may go to places less than 600 miles from home. We used to go to Southern California twice a year.. Not yhis year. Not only has Disney raised their prices. ANTHONYS FISH GROTTO has closed, and diesel fuel is crazy nuts there.. not to mention Dodger or Angel's tickets. So yes, we will not go to places of the past, but we will still go and stay longer at places closer to home.. fun is fun..

Meauwataka
03-20-2022, 04:57 PM
We usually travel for the winter. From Michigan to So Cal and back costed us twice as much as it did last year. Before we decide to do it again, we will wait to see what happens during the summer/fall. We will stay around home this summer. On the campground note, I didn't have any problems making reservations. I did notice, however, that the prices were up quite a bit from previous years.

pyoung47
03-20-2022, 05:30 PM
I noticed diesel was down $ .55 on I 70 today to $4.44. I would expect volatility. I’m 74, and I have money. It’s time I’m short on.

bcrvman
03-20-2022, 05:40 PM
I am in sunny SoCal where diesel is approaching $7/gallon. For me to just get out of the state the fastest I travel east on the 10 to Blythe. That will cost me $172 just to get to the border. I know fuel is less outside California but by the summer where will it be?

We were planning on going to Colorado in August (have reservations) and then just winging it from there going north and then west and finally coming home. That little jaunt will probably cost up to $3000 just in fuel round trip.

I'm not cancelling yet but it does give me pause considering all that is going on.

Wondering if anyone else is making changes or cancelling plans?

Has anyone noticed any decreased in occupied spaces in campgrounds?

Edit: This is not to be a political thread, go somewhere else. I just want to take the temperature of fellow RVers about camping this season. Like, if people are cancelling reservations I might have a better chance of finding a camping site while on the road. Or, finding popular attractions less crowded. We all have our opinions on why the prices are going up. It's the result I'm interested in finding out about. Thanks.

The price is already starting to come down, and will continue. How far is another thing. Consider yourself lucky you live in the USA. In Canada, the cost is now about $7.57 CDN for 1 US GAL, $5.94 in US$ and $9.09 CDN for a CDN Gal (our Gal is 160oz, only the US is 128)

Razahoryin
03-20-2022, 06:50 PM
We are off to alaska with adventure caravans.
After covid delays we are all in
Yes fuel prices are a concern but not worth not going.
As said.. life is too short to worry about things you canít controlÖ cheers

mlh
03-20-2022, 06:58 PM
I noticed diesel was down $ .55 on I 70 today to $4.44. I would expect volatility. Iím 74, and I have money. Itís time Iím short on.

Canít ever tell when you might check out.
Lynwood

Dave W
03-20-2022, 07:08 PM

Then why did you bother even reading and take the time to respond if you are so "sick and tired" of these kinds of threads. This a thread about whether or not your RVing will be curtailed due to the cost of fuel

Vic B
03-20-2022, 08:45 PM
We are in Donna Tx at 5 dollars a gallon Plan on going to Utah from here. I am not changing our plans as we never know if we will ever get a chance to do it next year. Enjoy while we can

RetiredandRollin
03-20-2022, 09:46 PM
This reminds me of my neighbor. He lived about 3/4 of a mile through the woods from us. He was a true American original. He had two saying I remember. Boy, we ainít guaranteed another minute. And boy, any of these new cars will last you a lifetime if you drive them fast enough. Both are as true today as they were fifty years ago.
If you can go camping go. As for me. Iíd rather spend my money than leave it for someone to throw a party after I die. Go enjoy yours because someone is going to throw a party after you check out.
Lynwood

So very well said!!!

Rhortie1
03-20-2022, 11:05 PM
We’ve been on the road for 3 months and not slowing down. We are not planning to stop until maybe November when we will visit with our kids/grandkids during the holidays.

Sparatacus
03-21-2022, 03:14 AM
No me, we have a cross country trip coming up the end of this month, one way is going to be 3,100 miles.

Gunny B
03-21-2022, 04:53 AM
We are heading to Long Beach in April, but will be towing a small 12 foot scamp TT to boondock in. Was thinking on getting the tent out of storage but need a quick place to rest on the road. Will be mostly staying within 150 miles round trip of our home, although we still have Door County planned for June, and a Gulf Shores trip for October. Don't think we will cancel our trips, but downsizing is an option. Especially at 4400 miles.

DebNJim B
03-21-2022, 11:16 AM
We've been south for 6 months and will be heading back north 4/1. The difference this year is we will be leaving the 5er south. Usually, we take it home and use it for extra living space when all the family comes home for July 4, but this year we will make other arrangements. We also get our annual Warranty Forever inspection there in July, so I am trying to make arrangements to have it done here by a mobile tech as this was approved by the insurance co.
We will be team driving north so we can drive straight through the 1000 miles because we've been spoiled traveling with our own bed.
If this works out, we may end up leaving it where it is permanently. It's on a private site at our daughter's mini farm. I'll be 75 next month and not sure how much more I want to tow, concerns DW more than me though.
So, bottom line, yes, we're making changes in plans, but not all do to fuel prices although they factor in and maybe even got the ball rolling.

Roy & Georgia
04-01-2022, 09:30 PM
Havenít figured it out yet. If prices stay where they are it might make a difference if we take our Monty or not. Was planning on a 3700 mile round trip to South Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia this spring. Figured about $3700.00 for fuel. May have to take the suv.:nonono:. After reading some of these posts though I might change my mind.

MARK A
04-01-2022, 09:48 PM
You have to look at the small picture. Fuel is up 1.50- 1.75 unless you're in California or Oregon. Are you going to let 6-700 dollars change your plans or keep you home? Especially after our Government has had you locked down for 2 years? I'm not!

twindman
04-02-2022, 12:01 AM
Havenít figured it out yet. If prices stay where they are it might make a difference if we take our Monty or not. Was planning on a 3700 mile round trip to South Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia this spring. Figured about $3700.00 for fuel. May have to take the suv.:nonono:. After reading some of these posts though I might change my mind.
That is only about 5 or 6 mpg. You drive a tank?:D

mlh
04-02-2022, 10:20 AM
A dollar a mile, that is worse than my V10 motor home.
Lynwood

Roy & Georgia
04-02-2022, 02:23 PM
Was figuring $7.50 a gal by then at 10 miles per gal. Just giving myself plenty of leeway the way the prices are going up. $5.50 here now. Just rushed my figures. Still $2775.00.

prndl
05-15-2022, 11:14 AM
I thought I would re open this thread in consideration of new circumstances.

Diesel fuel: There are shortages and price increases on the east coast. Truckers are worried about future price increases estimated to go as high as $10/gallon in the next two weeks. This is in addition to shortages and supply restraints. Here is SoCal it is already at $7/gallon

RV Parks: Parks we have reservations at several months out are telling us if we don't give them cancellation notice 90 days out they will charge us for cancelling. Seems like they are seeing the writing on the wall.

Yes we are reconsidering our travel plans.

Daryles
05-15-2022, 11:47 AM
Well we're here in Philly. On 4-27-22 diesel downtown was $6.99. At that same gas station now its $7.99.
We have plans to tour Nova Scotia this summer. Really looking forward to that.
It's $2.49 per litre ($10.00/gal) there. If it doesn't start coming down we may cancel and stay put in Bar Harbor Maine.

CaptnJohn
05-15-2022, 01:43 PM
Filled along the SE coast of NC today at $5.31

AZ Traveler
05-15-2022, 06:50 PM
In spite of warnings we have had to remove political posts from this thread. This thread is now closed.