PDA

View Full Version : Wife said maybe we should stop for fuel

scottz
01-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Of course I said "Nah, we can make it to the next truck stop". When will I listen? We did make it, but .....

DutchmenSport
01-07-2022, 02:22 PM
You are more daring than me. When the tank gets 1/2, or less than 150 miles, I go into absolute panic mode.

MandK
01-07-2022, 02:27 PM
Now THAT’S close

MandK
01-07-2022, 02:30 PM
You are brave, for risking giving her the “I told ya so” rights for a long time.

Daryles
01-07-2022, 02:32 PM
Our closest scare, we were on our way to Vernal Ut. NO diesel gas stations along the way. It was mostly uphill. Getting really low and we topped the mountain down hill all the way to the next town. I put it in neutral and coasted most of the way downhill. The first three gas stations, no diesel. Finally at the far end of town found a big station we could drive through that had diesel.
I carry a 5 gallon can now. Just in case :)

dhuhn
01-07-2022, 03:14 PM
Good thing you made it or Alta would have made you push!��

AZ Traveler
01-07-2022, 03:24 PM
Scott,

I have run mine to where it shows -30 miles left. Ford keeps 4-5 gallons it doesn't show on the gauge with the diesel because you really don't want run one out of gas.

Theunz
01-07-2022, 03:43 PM
When your fuel gets that low you run the risk of picking up the trash that settles toward the bottom of the tank, and that will ruin your day worse than running out of fuel!

mlh
01-07-2022, 03:51 PM
My F150 has a 36 gallon tank. When it says I have 40 miles left I can get 32 gallons in it. It averages about 22+ MPH. So at 40 miles of empty I have about 2 gallons left.
Lynwood

twindman
01-07-2022, 04:34 PM
My first trip in 2006 to Wyoming. Left the Cody area headed south. There were 2 towns on the map south of Riverton, I think it was, so I thought I could fill up at one of them. Well I had near a half tank at the first place, so thought I could fill up at the next town. This town had a restaurant and about 10 homes and no gas station!! I made it to Rock Springs and my 25 or 26 gallon tank took all but 1/2 gallon. And I was getting 9-10 mpg.

When I got home I immediately added another tank and had 52 gallons after that. That was heaven - I could drive all day on less than one tank.
My new truck holds 36 gallons, so on a good day of moderate distance I can make it on one tank.

jsb5717
01-07-2022, 05:00 PM
Of course I said "Nah, we can make it to the next truck stop". When will I listen? We did make it, but .....

Yep, been there, done that...once. Just not worth the risk or the stress.

scottz
01-07-2022, 06:51 PM
Scott,

I have run mine to where it shows -30 miles left. Ford keeps 4-5 gallons it doesn't show on the gauge with the diesel because you really don't want run one out of gas.

I think you are right. At this fueling, I pumped 46.9 gallons into Ford's 48 gallon tank. It might hold a little more than 48. On two other occasions I have pumped 48.5 gallons into it.

I'll do better with the new truck.

scottz
01-07-2022, 06:52 PM
You are brave, for risking giving her the “I told ya so” rights for a long time.

That happens almost daily; usually I deserve it.

scottz
01-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Our closest scare, we were on our way to Vernal Ut. NO diesel gas stations along the way. It was mostly uphill. Getting really low and we topped the mountain down hill all the way to the next town. I put it in neutral and coasted most of the way downhill. The first three gas stations, no diesel. Finally at the far end of town found a big station we could drive through that had diesel.

I know it well; Roosevelt to Vernal. I once coasted a company truck into town; didn't make the station and had to call a buddy for a couple gallons. A pattern is appearing.

In my defense, on that particular truck, when the low fuel warning triggered, I had about 20 miles to empty. That truck went into minus territory a few times.

mhs4771
01-08-2022, 07:48 AM
We had an Old Camaro that would run out of Gas before the guage even reached E.

scattershot
01-08-2022, 10:09 AM
Been there, done that. I waited one time to fill until I showed empty. Not to worry, the road guide showed diesel in the next little town ( which were few and far between in that area.) Of course, when I got there, the station was out of business. I eventually found some, but not before a very nervous hour or so.

BTW, I put 31 gallons of fuel in a 29 gallon tank.

DQDick
01-08-2022, 10:13 AM
Always keep the tank close to half full. With two fuel filters on a Ram you really don't want to chance getting crud going down the fuel line and the less often you have to change them the better your wallet will feel.

432bartman
01-08-2022, 11:31 AM
The worst is when it gets low and on the newer diesels it goes into a regen mode and that drops your mileage even worse. Glad you made it.

WhatExit?
01-08-2022, 02:19 PM
I had a 60-gallon tank installed replacing the factory diesel tank under my truck. But 20, 40, 60 or 100 gallons don't matter when the temptation is to "keep on going to the next station" :D

Montana Man
01-08-2022, 05:41 PM
Its been said that when the fuel level gets way down you risk drawing crud from the bottom of the tank. My question is when the fuel pickup is near the bottom anyway, what does it matter how much fuel is above it?

WaltBennett
01-12-2022, 01:20 PM
I use GasBuddy religiously so I know how far the next diesel stop is and where to find best prices. Also seldom go more than 150 miles between stops anyway - dogs and old people need those comfort stops more than the truck.

mudrockatc
01-12-2022, 01:26 PM
LOL, just got my new Ram 3500, 2022, this time I ordered the 50 gallon fuel tank, that doesn't mean I will stop before it's almost empty!!! You would think that at 75 I would listen to DW a little more!! Some of us old guys are just HARD HEADS!!!!

PNW Fireguy
01-12-2022, 01:32 PM
Admittedly driving an HDT has significantly increased the time between fuel stops. However when it's time for diesel it's TIME... despite having greater than 200 miles DTE if the low fuel light comes on.:socool:

hookseter
01-12-2022, 01:43 PM
IF SHE AIN'T HAPPY...,......YOU AINT HAPPY!!!!
I never let it get below 1/4! EVER!!

RetiredandRollin
01-12-2022, 02:45 PM

Now this is another topic that I have to ask about. It has been said, I don't know because I've never experienced it nor am I a mechanic, but don't you run a risk of creating moisture, condensation or worst getting water in your spare diesel? How do you carry it; regular red plastic gas container? Very curious.

RetiredandRollin
01-12-2022, 02:50 PM
Now this is another topic that I have to ask about. It has been said, I don't know because I've never experienced it nor am I a mechanic, but don't you run a risk of creating moisture, condensation or worst getting water in your spare diesel? How do you carry it; regular red plastic gas container? Very curious.

I will be hitting the road in March, heading out West for our Season#2 of Rv'ing, and carrying spare diesel is a thought I've been toying with. Because of the long desert crossings in many states out West. Just a little concerned on how to do it.
Thoughts?

hoffmann13.5
01-12-2022, 03:10 PM
These days it seems my fuel range exceeds my bladders range so I usually refuel based on that.

ACKLM8
01-12-2022, 03:38 PM
The 45 gallon tank on our F-350 generally assures that we will not have a fuel issue during a typical driving day, but last year out in the middle-of-nowhere Texas the last 90 miles of our journey was right into a stiff headwind. Our MPG's went way down and we arrived at our destination not quite on fumes, but getting close.

mhs4771
01-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Red containers are for Gasoline, Yellow is for Diesel, and Blue is Kerosene.

RetiredandRollin
01-12-2022, 03:51 PM
Red containers are for Gasoline, Yellow is for Diesel, and Blue is Kerosene.

I'll assume that was directed at me. Thanks for the reply, any thoughts on my other concern? On carrying Diesel for extended periods?

TomCat
01-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Scott,

I can attest to this as well. On a Ford diesel you have at least 4 gallons left when the countdown hits zero. Doesn’t mean you want to tug on Superman’s cape too many times.

glendodom
01-12-2022, 04:22 PM
It is so easy to let the brain over power common sense and let that station go by in the rear view mirror, thinking there is maybe a better price down the road!

Been there and done that, so far without running out!

AZ Traveler
01-12-2022, 04:29 PM
I will be hitting the road in March, heading out West for our Season#2 of Rv'ing, and carrying spare diesel is a thought I've been toying with. Because of the long desert crossings in many states out West. Just a little concerned on how to do it.
Thoughts?

Manny,

Make sure you have a little water with you, otherwise not a big deal. You will have plenty of range with your 450. If you carry a spare can of gas just cycle it through the gas tank in your truck every month or so.

leahbill
01-12-2022, 05:01 PM
My husband learned the hard way in 2020! As I was watching him backup of the back of the RV I wanted him to get out of the truck to see where he was backing up. Cost us an entire camping season and $$$$. Now when I guide him and tell him to get out so he can get of sense of where he is and where he needs to go he listens. I'm looking for an RV driving school so I can learn to back up.

scottz
01-12-2022, 05:16 PM
My husband learned the hard way in 2020! As I was watching him backup of the back of the RV I wanted him to get out of the truck to see where he was backing up. Cost us an entire camping season and $$$$. Now when I guide him and tell him to get out so he can get of sense of where he is and where he needs to go he listens. I'm looking for an RV driving school so I can learn to back up.

You should go to the national rally in September and attend the "Ladies Driving School". You get hands on training from Keystone, free.

scottz
01-12-2022, 05:19 PM
Thoughts?

No worries, plenty of stations out west; just don't pass them all up. For me, it is not worth the trouble of carrying fuel and smelling like diesel. Have never found it necessary.

mhs4771
01-12-2022, 07:11 PM
Manny, not really directed at anyone, just facts and some stations get picky about putting Diesel into a Red Gas can, don't ask me how I know.
For me, anytime I put Fuel, gas or diesel into a container I add the correct Stabil to it. Since our TV doesn't get used much while Wintering in Florida, have a Malibu for running around. I filled both Main and Aux tanks and added Diesel Stabil to both.

jwengermt
01-13-2022, 05:49 AM
My Chev 2500HD only has a 24 gallon tank. Can't believe GM designs a heavy duty tow truck with only that much fuel. I usually get about 150 to 175 miles to a tank and plan fuel stops accordingly. From day one of towing i have carried two extra gas cans just in case. On our first trip because of towing up hill into the wind we only got 112 miles and pulled into the gas station with the low fuel light on and running on fumes. Took 23.2 gals. Never had to use the extra gas, but sure feel more comfortable having it on board.

forsailors
01-13-2022, 08:47 AM
What is worse than running out of fuel? Putting DEF in the fuel tank when distracted or tired. Did it once. Cost me $1200 to have the tank drained and new filters. I was lucky that I didn’t turn on the ignition. Otherwise it would have cost $9-$12 to replace the fuel system. Had it towed to the dealer. GM trucks at least have the DEF filler under the hood. So in addition of running low on fuel, be very careful with DEF. Happens more than you think.

jwengermt
01-13-2022, 10:03 AM
We use gas buddy also and its excellent. If any of you don't know, Conoco through March is offering 25cents a gallon discount if you have their credit card and use the mobile app to pay for the gas. Great savings. Conoco card is good at Union 76, Phillips 66 and Conoco

twindman
01-13-2022, 10:20 AM
My Chev 2500HD only has a 24 gallon tank. Can't believe GM designs a heavy duty tow truck with only that much fuel. I usually get about 150 to 175 miles to a tank and plan fuel stops accordingly. From day one of towing i have carried two extra gas cans just in case. On our first trip because of towing up hill into the wind we only got 112 miles and pulled into the gas station with the low fuel light on and running on fumes. Took 23.2 gals. Never had to use the extra gas, but sure feel more comfortable having it on board.
I think you may have a problem. I had the EXACT rig and truck as you. I got around 9.5-10 mpg and on a good day 10.5. I drove 65-70 back then and a lot of mountain driving. Maybe in the mountains I got 8-9 mpg. So 112 miles on around 22 gallons is only 5 MPG!!! Something is not right.

R.S.O'Donnell
01-13-2022, 03:27 PM
Because modern diesels use fuel to cool and lubricate HPFP's it's a really bad idea to run out:

https://blog.genosgarage.com/wordpress1/2021/10/cp4-fuel-injection-pump-preventive-maintenance/

RetiredandRollin
01-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the tip.

RetiredandRollin
01-13-2022, 04:10 PM
Manny,

Make sure you have a little water with you, otherwise not a big deal. You will have plenty of range with your 450. If you carry a spare can of gas just cycle it through the gas tank in your truck every month or so.

Thank you, If I choose that option I will definitely cycle the fuel.

RetiredandRollin
01-13-2022, 04:14 PM
No worries, plenty of stations out west; just don't pass them all up. For me, it is not worth the trouble of carrying fuel and smelling like diesel. Have never found it necessary.

I hear ya and Thank you. We'll be in your neck of the woods, God willing if everything goes as planned, starting June 1st. Congrats on your new F450. :socool:

RetiredandRollin
01-13-2022, 04:16 PM
Manny, not really directed at anyone, just facts and some stations get picky about putting Diesel into a Red Gas can, don't ask me how I know.
For me, anytime I put Fuel, gas or diesel into a container I add the correct Stabil to it. Since our TV doesn't get used much while Wintering in Florida, have a Malibu for running around. I filled both Main and Aux tanks and added Diesel Stabil to both.

Got it, Thanks..:thumbsup:

Sparatacus
01-13-2022, 10:53 PM
You are one brave man, when I get 1/2 tank I start looking, getting to 1/4 is all I care to do.

lewy64
01-14-2022, 06:39 AM
what she is saying is dont leave me stranded alone while you go get gas!

scottz
01-14-2022, 12:17 PM
what she is saying is dont leave me stranded alone while you go get gas!

I would have to go by myself; she would be laughing too hard.

Dreamersandtravelers
01-14-2022, 01:10 PM
Lucky for you there was no steep grade to climb.......

hoffmann13.5
01-16-2022, 03:23 PM
I remember traveling during the BS "energy crisis" days of the late 70's. There were many times that the gas stations were closed or out of fuel making you HAVE to go to the next exit praying you wouldn't run out. There were parts of South Carolina especially that had long distances between exits. Maybe not like out west but enough to create a pucker factor. Similar to recent traveling after Hurricanes down on the Gulf Coast....

DebNJim B
01-17-2022, 03:23 PM
Once had an F150 straight 6 back long before the little orange gas pump on the dash. The instant the needle touched the E, you'd better look for a place to pull over because you're out.

Roy & Georgia
01-18-2022, 09:51 PM
I always figured it was just as easy to fill just the top half as both bottom AND top.:socool:;)

scottz
01-18-2022, 10:52 PM
I always figured it was just as easy to fill just the top half as both bottom AND top.:socool:;)

But then you have twice as many fuel stops.