PDA

View Full Version : replace lug nuts

Shadrack
09-06-2020, 06:12 AM
Lug nuts are rusting bad, looking online for stainless nuts but not sure size for 2014 montana 3750fl, is it 1/2" x 20 acorn ?

DQDick
09-06-2020, 08:22 AM
I just got mine from Tredit tire, the folks who supply Keystone with the wheels. Got the right size and a good price.

mazboy
09-06-2020, 12:24 PM
just get to a tire center and have them figure it out and then get stainless steel.

h2ojocky
09-06-2020, 05:24 PM
I bought SS lugs and then read some stuff about galling. If I understand correctly you could have a problem with galling, which has something to do with dissimilar metals. The lug could potentially be welded to the stud. I didn't want that to happen while on the road so I went back to my rusty lug nuts.

Theunz
09-06-2020, 07:31 PM
I had a 3/8 or 1/2 inch stainless bolt that I was putting a stainless nut on, got it on about 1/2 an inch when it suddenly froze up. Wouldn’t tighten or loosen. No problem I thought, I’ll just get my 650 ft. Lb. air impact after it. It’s still stuck! No stainless lug nuts for me.

Slow Hand
09-07-2020, 08:03 AM
You always need to use anti seize on stainless even if both are stainless. I use that stuff on steal as well. It helps get a better torque on the nut. No it's not like oil and allow the nut to back off. I wouldn't risk using stainless on wheels no matter what. Stainless looks good on some stuff but use caution as to how you use them. Stainless doesn't like to get hot ether. Heat makes the metal harder and more brittle. Ever try to drill out a stainless steal bolt. The trick is to turn the bit slow. If you go to fast the metal will turn blue and you are done drilling.

My recommendation is not to use stainless nuts.

77cruiser
09-07-2020, 08:22 AM
You always need to use anti seize on stainless even if both are stainless. I use that stuff on steal as well. It helps get a better torque on the nut. No it's not like oil and allow the nut to back off. I wouldn't risk using stainless on wheels no matter what. Stainless looks good on some stuff but use caution as to how you use them. Stainless doesn't like to get hot ether. Heat makes the metal harder and more brittle. Ever try to drill out a stainless steal bolt. The trick is to turn the bit slow. If you go to fast the metal will turn blue and you are done drilling.

My recommendation is not to use stainless nuts.

I know most won't agree with this, I use anti seize on my lug nuts always.
Leaned that 40 yrs. ago when driving semi.
I just adjust my toque a bit when using it.

laverdur
09-20-2020, 02:11 PM
While anti-seize may not be a true lubricant like oil or grease, you can be sure that it modifies the friction involved when tightening a lug nut. Normally, lug nuts are not lubricated and that absence of lubrication is taken into account by the engineers when they give a torque specification. Adding lubrication can result in over torquing and risk of twisting off a stud bolt. It may be of no consequence on a towable but I can assure you that the owner's manual for my TV specifically advises against lubricating the threads on the lug nuts. There is a captive washer that should be lubricated with light oil.