PDA

View Full Version : roadside assistance

Ahdmeyer
07-28-2020, 09:00 PM
what do others think of or have referring to roadside assistance? i have had good sam and fmca and thankfully have never had to use either. for the price i think it is worth the piece of mind if something were to happen. any thoughts on this?
thanks
al meyer
3931fb
az

BB_TX
07-28-2020, 09:33 PM
Piece of mind is my reason for having Coachnet. They already know who in that particular area does RVs.

I have only used ERS one time with the trailer. And at the time I was still under warranty so I called Ford. But Ford was actually using Coachnet for their service provider for warranty towing. (Don’t know if they still do or not) Stranded on I-40 east of Oklahoma City with a failed cam sensor. They sent a tow truck to take my truck and DW and two granddaughters to OKC Ford dealer. And a pickup with 5th wheel hitch to take the Monte to a KOA east of OKC. Driver parked trailer in a site, waited while I connected electric and started A/C, then took me to the Ford dealer. Great service.

Used them again a couple years ago when I blew a turbo hose not towing. Service was a little slower as they had trouble finding a provider available but finally did get me to my local dealer.

RMcNeal
07-29-2020, 06:45 AM
I have the Good Sam roadside and emergency service. Haven't used it but with my health issues, I wouldn't be without it. With the package we have, if I have a medical issue, they will even come get our 5er and tow it home for us if I'm unable to.

1retired06
07-29-2020, 08:01 AM
Have GoodSam. Have needed to use twice, response both times was good.

richfaa
07-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Over 14 years of being on the road we have used most all of them. We have good sams now. They are all the same .The service vendors like the ones that pay by corporate credit card. We have used most all of them over the years with no problems with any of them.

DQDick
07-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Our experience has been somewhat different. We've had Coach-net for over 10 years now and they have been great. Not only have they helped in emergency situations, but they have also got us mobile rv techs when the techs said they wouldn't have time for several days, Coach-Net got them there the next morning.

richfaa
07-29-2020, 12:57 PM
We always check around every 2 or 3 years for the latest prices on all the vendors and take advantage of the "new members" pricing.

sourdough
07-29-2020, 02:01 PM
I have several roadside assistance plans. They all seem to use about the same vendors in my experience, but, those incidents have happened in rural areas where the selection is limited at best. I wouldn't want to travel without them at this stage of my life. I also carry Good Sam Travel Assist which might be of interest. Not had to use it but it is very cheap.

DebNJim B
08-03-2020, 05:07 AM
I have always had Good Sam and have had good service. I just got my renewal and they now require 5th wheels to have the premium plan at a higher rate. Anyone experienced this and shopped around?

AZ Traveler
08-03-2020, 06:57 AM
Al,

Have had various plans but never used them. Not sure they are worth spending much on.

Now watch, I will need one this week.

Camp CA
08-03-2020, 09:11 AM
I have AAA who can tow the fifth wheel in the event your tow vehicle breaks down. Used them once, as a result of tow vehicle fuel tank level sender failure, to add sufficient diesel to my truck to travel to the nearest diesel station.

Mikendebbie
08-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Question about Coachnet...do they only offer service contracts (like a warranty)?
And/or do they offer roadside assistance + tire plans?

I am interested in roadside assistance and tire help.
I called Coachnet and they said to call a dealer to get a quote.
I called local dealer (Crestview RV Georgetown) and got passed around on the phone to several different folks who had no idea what I wanted and when I went to voicemail for some dude I hung up. I must have misunderstood Coachnet.

BB_TX
08-03-2020, 02:44 PM
I have Coachnet, but not their “Hazard Protect” tire and wheel plan. But their web site has a “Request a quote “ clicky on it.

https://coach-net.com/hazard-protect-2/

Ahdmeyer
08-03-2020, 04:37 PM
ended up with good sam had a deal for 3 years and i checked with them can cancel anytime if needed and get the unused portion back, hope i never need it but i do think for myself maybe not others it is needed.

al meyer
3931fb
az

Mikendebbie
08-03-2020, 07:56 PM
I have Coachnet, but not their “Hazard Protect” tire and wheel plan. But their web site has a “Request a quote “ clicky on it.

https://coach-net.com/hazard-protect-2/

That is what I did...filled out a short form...hit send...and they say an agent will get back to you within 72 hrs. Received an email that said to contact a dealer. I called to find a dealer and the said to go thru your sales dealer, but they are in Fort Worth, so the closest to home was Crestview Georgetown. I may end up going back to Good Sam.

mlh
08-03-2020, 08:40 PM
If you think it’s worth it it is.
Lynwood

RMcNeal
08-04-2020, 05:28 AM
I've had Good Sam for about 10 years now. Never had to use it, but with my health and my wife not able to tow, I feel it's a must for us. I can change a tire if necessary, but if I have a major health issue on the road, they will tow 5er for us and even take care of our dogs in a pinch.

Lenny K
08-04-2020, 10:59 AM
I have had Good Sam for the past 15 years and have used them 4 times and have been happy with their service but they are pricing themselves out of the running. I will be going with CAA this fall when my Good Sam coverage runs out.

TK1
08-05-2020, 02:48 PM
We have had Good Sam For the last three years and fortunately have only had to use it once. I was connected quickly to a very pleasant and professional representative the response time for the wrecker was only thirty minutes and I feel that the peace of mind and service is worth the cost.

PNW Fireguy
08-05-2020, 03:27 PM
Escapees...one usage more than paid for the cost.

phillyg
08-05-2020, 03:29 PM
I have GEICO road service and they have been excellent both times (blowout and fuel). Had to wait two hours + for the fuel, but I was in a little traveled area. Before anyone criticizes me, my fuel gauge was not accurate.

northern lights
08-05-2020, 03:37 PM
We have Good Sam premium for the 5th wheel. It also covers roadside service for a cargo trailer we tow sometimes. The price actually went down $20 this year. That was really unusual.

saber707
08-05-2020, 05:01 PM
Good Sam has been good for us on a couple of bad events.

Mr B
08-05-2020, 08:28 PM
I use AAA RV service. When my Duramax laid down in downtown Atlanta partially blocking I75/85 (not fun) AAA responded with 2 trucks, one loaded the truck and the other truck pulled the trailer. As my service tows up to 200 miles they brought both to the house then next am sent another truck and delivered truck to the dealer. They put both trips on same service call. Very satisfied with their service.

DmaxDually
08-05-2020, 10:47 PM
AAA is hit or miss depending on the area you break down in. AAA contract local service stations and garages. I doubt AAA has any requirement or standards for the stations to meet. I had AAA plus RV when one of my Marabomb tires blew out. I was in a populated area and it took them over 3 hrs to show up. When they did show up, it was in a beat up old tow truck and he didn't even have the proper tools... Needless to say I cancelled them.. I have had Coach-net for the past couple of years and luckily I never had to use them. My membership recently expired and I am currently with out one..thinking of renewing...

dbischops
08-05-2020, 11:09 PM
I normally dont get extended warranties, but we added our trailer to our progressive insurance policy and it only added a dollar or two a month.

We have had this trailer 11 years, when we first got it we pulled it from Texas to Colorado and had a blowout in New Mexico. Altough it took a long time, they ended up sending a tow truck from Trinidad Colorado that got us going again.

This was on the originally crappy Marathon ST tires. We ended up having a problem with another tire that didnt result in a blowout (yet), but since we were in a pinch we ended up buying more Marathon tires as that was the only thing they had.

Two years later another blowout in a remote area with significant damage, once again they helped us get back on the road, after which we got rid of the Marathon tires.

Anyway, what I am trying to get to is that these incidents would have been very costly. We tend to go to state parks or national parks and in order to get there travel a lot of areas not close to cities. Also trailer tires are not available everywhere, but they will pay to get it to you. It certainly is one plan I will get on any other trailer going forward.

DCHuts
08-06-2020, 11:17 AM
After nearly 30 years of RVing, I recommend AAA RV Plus coverage. I have had Good Sam and others but AAA is the best. Why, because they will take you where you want to go, not the closest, and sometime worse, service provider.

My last incident was a truck breakdown in remote Washington State. Trailer was towed to a decent RV park and truck was towed to Chev dealer for service. Also have had support for blown tires in remote areas.

Biker bill
08-06-2020, 11:57 AM
I have had good sam for many years. Have had good service. They even towed my motorcycle. twice.

margerush
08-27-2020, 05:57 AM
We have good sam. Both passenger side China bombs blew on the interstate in a construction area. I think the front tire got a nail in it (it totally disintegrated), had to continue thru the construction area for about 2 miles before getting off the interstate, when the second one blew. Commercial Goodyear tire came to our rescue within 2 hours on a Sunday night after 7 pm.
We've never had to use GS Travel Assist which is basically for medical emergencies. We carry Travel Assist due to hubbys health. Travel Assist will fly us home, car rental, motel stay, and transport Monty and TV home.
Good Sam membership $27/yr. GS Roadside Assistance $80/yr. GS Travel Assist $90/yr.
As with any insurance policy, you pay the premium in hopes of never having to use the insurance.

margerush
08-27-2020, 05:59 AM
Good Sam Roadside Assistance is for any vehicle a Good Sam member is in, doesn't have to be your vehicle.

DmaxDually
08-27-2020, 08:18 AM
When I bought my RV in 2014 I had AAA + RV. When one of my Marabombs blew I was on a main road in a populated area and it took over 3+ hrs and several phone calls before they finally showed up in a beat up tow truck very limited tools..[:(!] I dumped AAA the next day and joined Coach Net. I Never had to use Coach Net so I can't comment. My membership just came up for renewal and Coach Net is now $180.00 a year :eek:. So I shopped around for a better price.
I have been a Good Sams member since I bought my RV. They are offering 50% off their road side assistance. So I signed up with their Platinum plan. I just checked their website and they still have the 50% off deal for new Road side assistance members.

BUBBA-NONNIE
01-16-2021, 01:26 PM
What is CCA?

BB_TX
01-16-2021, 06:30 PM
What is CCA?

I didn’t see CCA in any of the comments above. But I did see CAA, Canadian Automobile Association. Canadian equivalent of AAA I suppose.

BUBBA-NONNIE
01-16-2021, 07:15 PM
Ok. Thank you. Hope you have safe travels and a great new year!! Good to see another Texan.

Mikendebbie
01-16-2021, 08:02 PM
That is what I did...filled out a short form...hit send...and they say an agent will get back to you within 72 hrs. Received an email that said to contact a dealer. I called to find a dealer and the said to go thru your sales dealer, but they are in Fort Worth, so the closest to home was Crestview Georgetown. I may end up going back to Good Sam.

As a follow up to this post - I did call the dealer that I was referred...receptionist answered and I asked to speak to someone about coachnet...please hold...parts - can I help you...I need some info on coachnet road service...ummmm please hold...Sales - can I help you...oh ummmm please hold....you have reached the finance dept. please leave a message and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible...beep.

I went with Good Sam.

BUBBA-NONNIE
01-16-2021, 08:32 PM
I have Good Sam and FMCA. Trying to find out which one is the most reliable and top notch service. Seems like Good Sam takes the top spot.

DmaxDually
01-16-2021, 10:33 PM
It doesn't matter..It's all hit or miss. They all contract out the service to local garages. I'm sure none of the road service provider go around and inspect the Garages they contract with to make sure they meet some type of standards, have good equipment or competent people.