PDA

View Full Version : What tools do you carry for changing tires?

Gunny B
11-28-2019, 08:08 AM
We bought tire insurance when we bought our trailer in 2019 and thought we were covered until recently having a blowout. We were leaving Gulf Shores and almost on I 10 when somebody yelled out we had a tire problem. We made the call and our insurance only covered $100 while the repair guy charges $250. We had to pay the difference before they would even dispatch the truck which in turn made me wait threel hours to show up. The guy showed up with his small pickup with no markings on it and pulled out a floor jack and a battery powered impact wrench. He lifted it up by the axle which was wrong and didn't have a torque wrench either. I was thinking of getting a harbor freight 12 ton barrel jack with air connection and bring a air impact wrench too. I'm still bringing my manual tools like a breaker bar, torque wrench, and star wrench in case a generator/compressor failure. What do you have along for these emergencies? Just thought of triangles for my kit.

DQDick
11-28-2019, 12:31 PM
I carry a torque wrench and levelup and have changed tires using those before, but I have insurance with Coach-net and use them exclusively when we are on the road. Have had to use them three times for tire issues in 9 years of fulll timing and wouldn't use anyone else. They were great.

mlh
11-28-2019, 04:00 PM
I carry no more than needed a 3 ton bottle jack and a wrench set. I don’t carry a bunch of heavy tools I may never need when something simple will do the job.
Lynwood

Desert Rat
11-28-2019, 07:56 PM
What I carry is a Milwaukee 18 volt high torque impact and a collection of sockets and two 3-4 ton bottle Jack's and various pieces of 2x8 chunks of lumber. The 18 volt impacts have come quite aways lately and are more than enough to remove and replace the lug nuts. You can check out Milwaukees videos on youtube.

richfaa
11-29-2019, 09:53 AM
I carry the phone number for our roadside service plan. We tell them where we are, what kind of RV we have(5th wheel,TT) and the weight so they bring the proper equipment

packnrat
11-29-2019, 01:07 PM
basic bottle jack, or better grade floor jack, or if back is bad get the air powered bottle jack on a stick. from el-cheap-o tools. but this requires you have onboard air and tank. being on the road it is money well spent for this.

but a simple tool box covers 99% of everything. but as to tires a larger fixed lug star, and long lifting "pry" bar. (to lift the tire to get it on the lug bolts).
toque wrench is good to have, but not required.
sure some of this takes up space, and may not be needed for years. but that one time. could save you a lot of cash, time, maybe even your life.

(hazards on the side of the rd thing).

so do not forget the triangles, and learn the correct way to deploy them.

mlh
11-29-2019, 06:06 PM
I carry the phone number for our roadside service plan. We tell them where we are, what kind of RV we have(5th wheel,TT) and the weight so they bring the proper equipment

No need to carry a bunch of stuff you donít need when a telephone will do.
Lynwood

jeffba
11-29-2019, 06:58 PM

What not phone though :)

Theunz
11-30-2019, 08:05 AM
I Carry a bottle jack, in case the terrain doesn't allow use of the level up, a long break over bar and a torque wrench with the proper socket, along with various pieces of wood. I would much rather just change it my self and get on down the road then sit and wait for, God only knows how long, roadside service to show up. Now, my attitude may change when I'm the same age as the rest of you old geezers:hide:

AZ Traveler
11-30-2019, 11:27 AM
A cross lug wrench, electric impact wrench and a can of fix a flat. My truck jack will work if my level up will not get the tires off the ground.

mtlakejim
11-30-2019, 03:28 PM
I'm still young and handy enough to do it myself and never cared for waiting for a repair truck for hours. It is a BIG reason I hesitate about looking at Class A Motorhomes (and we are looking). I have a big bottle jack and a 4 way. Cash on hand takes care of the replacement tire when we reach a tire shop.

One big advantage of the HC381TH is it has the garage with a ramp for the flat to go into till you can get to the tire shop!!

Although I will admit if DQDick recommends someone, you can absolutely count on them! IF you can't change your own get the number for who he uses.

twindman
11-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Another reason against just using a phone -I go places pretty often with no service for a few miles (sometimes longer). Nice to be able to fix it yourself.
(Lynwood- I think it is you, I know you camp at Union pass and you surely can't get a signal there can you ?)

Dave W
12-01-2019, 06:53 AM
A cell phone in most of the 6 million acre Adirondack Park is a pretty paperweight as it is in much of the three northern New England states. I carry a breaker bar, usually my ancient beam torque wrench, a HF 12T short bottle jack along with a couple planks. Do I need that much jack - no but when purchased it was on sale plus had a 25% coupon that made it less then their 6T. The jack in the truck - wont trust that stamped sheet metal thing to lift more then that vehicle

Gunny B
12-01-2019, 07:14 AM
I carry a torque wrench and levelup and have changed tires using those before, but I have insurance with Coach-net and use them exclusively when we are on the road. Have had to use them three times for tire issues in 9 years of fulll timing and wouldn't use anyone else. They were great.
How do you use the level up for a tire change?

Gunny B
12-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Another reason against just using a phone -I go places pretty often with no service for a few miles (sometimes longer). Nice to be able to fix it yourself.
(Lynwood- I think it is you, I know you camp at Union pass and you surely can't get a signal there can you ?)
We stay at alot of state parks in Indiana and don't get phone service. Unless you leave the park and drive about 3-4 miles.

Theunz
12-01-2019, 07:21 AM
Don't know about the electric system, but the hydraulic one will lift the tires off the ground. Just put it in manual mode and raise the side the flat is on.

richfaa
12-01-2019, 07:46 AM
14 years in two Montana's and have never waited hours for a Mobile service to appear but we have only used the service 3 or 4 times. We could change a tire if we had to but we are in no hurry. We are old . We have bad knees the service plan is good for us.

masterdrago
12-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Tools to change a tire:

https://i.imgur.com/B7Tw7OP.jpg

That's a 3/4" break-bar with a big pipe cheater.
A Snap-On torque wrench.
If cannot use level up have 12 ton bottle jack and timbers

mtlakejim
12-01-2019, 09:45 AM
Tools to change a tire:

https://i.imgur.com/B7Tw7OP.jpg

That's a 3/4" break-bar with a big pipe cheater.
A Snap-On torque wrench.
If cannot use level up have 12 ton bottle jack and timbers

That's doing it right!!!!

N1282X
12-04-2019, 01:09 PM
I carry the exact same thing of Milwaukee impact wrench and two bottle jacks I have changed 17 blown tires in my life on the side of the road and I've got it down to no more than 10 minutes

FreeRoamn
12-04-2019, 01:14 PM
4-way wrench, torque wrench, a small set of impact sockets for torque wrench, and a couple of adapters, Level Up w/extra jack pads if need be. I figure what I carry is just as much for my use or to help another RV'r with a tire change issue along the road.

Socket Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00944N154/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Torque Wrench (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL1NS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Adapter Set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NQ4PBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

4-Way Lug Wrench (https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5975-20-Inch-4-Way-Wrench/dp/B000NPXIGA/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=lug+nut+wrench&qid=1575490333&sr=8-13)

Kurt D Jankowski
12-04-2019, 01:15 PM
I carry blocks of wood and run the tire up that is not flat it will lift the other Tire up off the ground enough to change the other flat I've been running up blocks to change a tire for years safe and easy way to change your tire you can change your tire that way in less than a half-hour

FreeRoamn
12-04-2019, 01:18 PM
I carry blocks of wood and run the tire up that is not flat it will lift the other Tire up off the ground enough to change the other flat I've been running up blocks to change a tire for years safe and easy way to change your tire you can change your tire that way in less than a half-hour

Great tip!:thumbsup:

brooksider
12-04-2019, 01:20 PM
A 20 ton bottle jack( because I have one) wooden 6x6 s, and a home made trailer aid, 4 way and an electric impact wrench, torque wrench. Like others can change still change my own and have on three occasions as well for others.

samroll
12-04-2019, 01:26 PM
6 point leveling system for a jack, Ryobi 1/2Ē impact and torque wrench. Used it twice in 8 years.

laverdur
12-04-2019, 01:39 PM
I carry a small bottle jack, a jacking saddle that I had fabricated, a 15" breaker bar 4 foot cheater bar and a torque wrench. See photo and drawing attached

Mr Mustang
12-04-2019, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=FreeRoamn;1167848]4-way wrench, torque wrench, a small set of impact sockets for torque wrench, and a couple of adapters, Level Up w/extra jack pads if need be. I figure what I carry is just as much for my use or to help another RV'r with a tire change issue along the road.

Socket Kit (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00944N154/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Torque Wrench (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C5ZL1NS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Adapter Set (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NQ4PBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

4-Way Lug Wrench (https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-5975-20-Inch-4-Way-Wrench/dp/B000NPXIGA/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=lug+nut+wrench&qid=1575490333&sr=8-13)[/

Mr Mustang
12-04-2019, 02:06 PM
I carry a small bottle jack, a jacking saddle that I had fabricated, a 15" breaker bar 4 foot cheater bar and a torque wrench. See photo and drawing attached

Thanks for your response. I love your saddle idea! What thickness of steel did you use? The gussets really add strength to your idea!

CaptnJohn
12-04-2019, 02:32 PM
I’m with Linnwood, a phone is all I plan to use. I do have a 4 way and torque wrench. I have a few blocks in case the levelers would go out of stroke. I’m old with a bad back and legs, I don’t even want to think about getting the spare out from under the Montana

laverdur
12-04-2019, 02:44 PM
For Mr Mustang - The saddle thickness is 1/2". When I drew the original sketch I envisioned several pieces of steel welded together to produce the saddle. The fab shop was smarter than that. They suggested starting with a 1/2" thick square steel pipe. They cut the top off the pipe and cut it in half to make the two "ears" that are welded on top. The gussets are 3/8" thick. Don't overlook the ring welded to the bottom of the saddle to keep the bottle jack from slipping. If you plan to have a saddle made, I recommend you take your own measurements as your axle/spring configuration could be different than mine. BTW, before having this saddle fabricated, I called the Dexter Axle engineering department and discussed trailer axle jacking dos and don'ts. When I described my design and use for the saddle, the engineer said that it should work perfectly with no damage to the axle or suspension.

CADman_KS
12-04-2019, 02:50 PM
This hasn't been mentioned, and some may disagree, but the Harbor Freight clicker wrenches are cheap, and accurate enough for what we are trying to accomplish here.

I currently do not have a 1/2" version, so I need to pick one of those up, along with a 1/2" extension and socket, and just leave them in the camper so that I have them with me at all times.

If you're someone who has a slider hitch, one of the of the other tools that you need carry are the tools required to take off your capture plate, if someone else is going to tow your 5er for some reason, like your truck broke down. On the newer capture plates, they are relatively easy to get off, but you still need an allen wrench to get them off. On the older versions, it was a 1/2 hour process with all of the bolts that they had on there...

Mr Mustang
12-04-2019, 03:21 PM
For Mr Mustang - The saddle thickness is 1/2". When I drew the original sketch I envisioned several pieces of steel welded together to produce the saddle. The fab shop was smarter than that. They suggested starting with a 1/2" thick square steel pipe. They cut the top off the pipe and cut it in half to make the two "ears" that are welded on top. The gussets are 3/8" thick. Don't overlook the ring welded to the bottom of the saddle to keep the bottle jack from slipping. If you plan to have a saddle made, I recommend you take your own measurements as your axle/spring configuration could be different than mine. BTW, before having this saddle fabricated, I called the Dexter Axle engineering department and discussed trailer axle jacking dos and don'ts. When I described my design and use for the saddle, the engineer said that it should work perfectly with no damage to the axle or suspension.

Laverdur,
Thanks for the quick response bro. I will take my measurements, also the ring for the Jack,did not notice it on first inspection! Your excellent idea was one of those things when I first saw it was like I NEED THAT! How much did they charge you?✌🏻️

Bill M
12-04-2019, 03:57 PM
A torque wrench is a must & gets used each time I check air pressures. Almost lost tire when service company did not use a torque wrench during service. Walk around showed 3 broken studs other 3 loose at next fuel stop.

dieselguy
12-04-2019, 05:25 PM
I fabbed a jack saddle also. Like said, you need to measure in-between the axle U-Bolts because most every rig has a different space between them. You really don't need killer equipment here (12T jack) unless as stated ... the price was right at the time. I stated years ago about using a load cell atop my bottle jack and seeing just what I'm picking up when I raise a tire about 1/2" off the ground. For my 3150, it's around 2500#. You have to remember, you're not picking up the whole fiver, just one end of an axle. With that in mind, my saddle is made out of 1.5" angle .25" thick welded on top of a 1.75" thick walled pipe. The inner ID just happened to fit my bottle jack. Works good, will last a long time, and is coded black for easy identification :). With the invent of Level Up ... this chore has gotten alot easier. For those that insist on jacking up the frame and piling cribbing ... you're sure making this hard on yourself and your fiver. For those who rely on a roadside asssitance membership ... I may loose my health at some point, but for now, I don't have the patience to sit along the side of the road for an hour or better when I can have the spare on and on my way in less than 20 minutes.

mlh
12-04-2019, 05:31 PM
This hasn't been mentioned, and some may disagree, but the Harbor Freight clicker wrenches are cheap, and accurate enough for what we are trying to accomplish here...

Harbor Freight has a new line of tools, Ican. They look like really good tools. They say they compare to Tool truck tools. I bought a 250 pound torque wrench to take the wheels off my Can Am motorcycle. It was $109 or something close.
Lynwood

Hornet28
12-04-2019, 05:42 PM
I carry the exact same thing of Milwaukee impact wrench and two bottle jacks I have changed 17 blown tires in my life on the side of the road and I've got it down to no more than 10 minutes

Sounds as though if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. I've pulled a trailer an average of 6K+ a year for the last 13 years, except this year when I put over 11K on my 2 trailers in 9 weeks time. In those 13 yrs I've had 1 blowout which was my fault I knew I should change tires on a car trailer I'd just bought but figured I'd get 1 trip on them. That was wrong I'd made it to Boise Id. and was returning when one let go. I had all 4 replaced while still in Id. I've had Michelin 10 ply. truck tires on that trailer for the last 6 years and have almost 40K on them all trouble free. In all my years of pulling dating back to the early 60's I've only had 4 flats on trailers. This spring I put 7400 mi on the fifth whl in 5 wks trouble free with Goodyear Endurance tires

CADman_KS
12-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Harbor Freight has a new line of tools, Ican. ...

Icon, in case others are looking for them.

They have a digital Quinn version too, which is a bit more money, but it goes to 250 ft-lbs...

CADman_KS
12-04-2019, 06:03 PM
.... With the invent of Level Up ... this chore has gotten alot easier. For those that insist on jacking up the frame and piling cribbing ... you're sure making this hard on yourself and your fiver. ...

^^^^

I had to try this, just to make sure that it was possible, and it indeed is ...

dieselguy
12-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Just to be clear ... my jacking the frame up comment was in relation to people using a bottle jack(s) on the frame and piles of wood, not jacking with Level Up. I guess I kinda ran 2 sentences together.

mlh
12-04-2019, 06:29 PM
^^^^

I had to try this, just to make sure that it was possible, and it indeed is ...

Thank!!
Lynwood

barryn
12-04-2019, 09:33 PM
We use the level up system on manual mode, 6x6 blocks and battery impact wrench with Blue lights from 911 Police car, "If needed" Good people you can count on and they don't take hours to get to you either. I have triangles as well and caution lights. First flat we had could not get bottle jack under axle of RV so had to go with level up manual mode. Going to Buy a air bag jack for truck. looks like a flat rubber pillow an can lift up to 3-6 tons. I have a small 6 gal $99 air compressor on board with a honda gen. 2000. 50ft retractable air hose. Truck is not a Big Butt "Dually" my money could not get one at the time, but I got what I needed to get the job done. I know this one, Not so smart person or should I say "No one told him that he could not do that" and he used the level up to pick his truck up and broke his RV frame all to hell.
S!#t (S@#t) was to funny, He's selling that RV really quick.

whutfles
12-04-2019, 09:44 PM
We've had 4 tire issues on our Montana which required a roadside change. I started with a 10T Craftsman bottle jack, a bunch of short 10" lengths of 2 X 10's, a breaker bar and a torque wrench. The first tire I changed I had the jack on about 6 2 X 10's, jacked it up as high as it would go and it wasn't high enough. Had to use all of the blocks I had along with some of my leveling boards to drop the RV back down on so I could block the jack higher and jack again. So I bought a 2nd 10T Craftsman bottle jack so that I could just set the 2nd jack on higher blocks and continue jacking. You have to remember that when the tire is flat, the RV is going to be sitting lower and your jack will have to jack farther than if both tires were aired up. I have since bought the tear drop that you can put under the good tire and back or drive onto to help raise the RV some before jacking. A friend suggested I check the oil level in my jacks and they were a little low.

The lug nuts on my dually 3500 are long and they turn hard all the way on and off. So I carry a Craftsman cordless torque wrench also. It looks just like an impact wrench. I break the nut with a breaker bar and then use the cordless. I'll put the nut on with the cordless and finish with the manual torque wrench. And if you happen to have a torque wrench with a digital readout, make sure you have extra batteries for it.

I carry a 3 foot x 5 foot old rubber backed rug my wife was going to discard to lay on under the RV. It comes in handy in the mud and sand burs.

I also carry one of those colorful vests to wear while monkeying around under the RV, not that the traffic will move over or slow down, but maybe they'll see what they are htiting.

We also have Good Sam Ins but as long as I can, I'd rather change my own tires.

DebNJim B
12-05-2019, 04:36 AM
Iím with Linnwood, a phone is all I plan to use. I do have a 4 way and torque wrench. I have a few blocks in case the levelers would go out of stroke. Iím old with a bad back and legs, I donít even want to think about getting the spare out from under the Montana

Someone said on another thread to drop the spare and then just pull ahead about 5 feet. I found it to be a revelation. :o

I could use the level up, breaker, cheater and torque wrench if I need to but prefer the phone.

barryn
12-05-2019, 06:33 AM
Someone said on another thread to drop the spare and then just pull ahead about 5 feet. I found it to be a revelation. :o

I could use the level up, breaker, cheater and torque wrench if I need to but prefer the phone.
I agree But I have also found that the longer you sit beside the interstate waiting, everybody to include truckers are using their phone at 70mph as well. The odds of a deadly crash goes up. I'm just saying. Be safe and Happy Travels

DebNJim B
12-05-2019, 07:26 AM
I agree But I have also found that the longer you sit beside the interstate waiting, everybody to include truckers are using their phone at 70mph as well. The odds of a deadly crash goes up. I'm just saying. Be safe and Happy Travels

A valid point. I have only had two occasions to use roadside for a flat and both times I was back on the road within an hour. I was able to wait safely away from the vehicle and let the service tech work on the shoulder close to traffic. I figure I could at most have saved only a half hour exposing himself to heavy semi passers-by. On I-20 East of Atlanta it was heavy enough the trucks couldn't move over and the tire was on the drivers side. Thanks but I'll pay someone else to do that trick, and believe me I gave him a nice tip. The other occasion was in VA at the junctions of I95 and I85, even heavier traffic but on the passenger side at least. Like I said though, if necessary I have the tools to do it...just not the back or knees. :eek:

speedster100
12-05-2019, 07:43 AM
More tools than you can imagine, socket sets (2) Imperial & Metric, full screw driver sets, circular saw, cut off saw, torque wrench, impact wrench, compressor, air nailer, hole saw kit, power grease gun, plumbing wrench's & pliers, tubing cutters, electrical connectors & tools, multimeter, dremel, etc etc etc..... BTW I use the level up to change tires and have used just about every tool on board at one time or other over the years either on our unit or someone elses.... Can't stand being on side of the road helpless relying on someone I don't know to maybe show up and assist... Also have an on board portable computer for the tow unit to trouble shoot codes and reset if necessary to get to a repair shop/parts store.....

DebNJim B
12-05-2019, 07:49 AM
More tools than you can imagine, socket sets (2) Imperial & Metric, full screw driver sets, circular saw, cut off saw, torque wrench, impact wrench, compressor, air nailer, hole saw kit, power grease gun, plumbing wrench's & pliers, tubing cutters, electrical connectors & tools, multimeter, dremel, etc etc etc..... BTW I use the level up to change tires and have used just about every tool on board at one time or other over the years either on our unit or someone elses.... Can't stand being on side of the road helpless relying on someone I don't know to maybe show up and assist... Also have an on board portable computer for the tow unit to trouble shoot codes and reset if necessary to get to a repair shop/parts store.....

Galleeee, must have been and Eagle Scout.:bow:

Dave W
12-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Curiosit question ---

I have to ask - wht do some folks seem to have tire problems? Bad karma? I've towed probably in the neighborhood of 125,000 miles around the US and Canad and have had two flats, both valve stems - one was a loose core, the other broke off and neither were while on the road. While we don't boondock, we don't always travel the best roads either. The truck spare, this as well as the last, never have been used in 215,000 miles

DebNJim B
12-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Curiosit question ---

I have to ask - wht do some folks seem to have tire problems? Bad karma? I've towed probably in the neighborhood of 125,000 miles around the US and Canad and have had two flats, both valve stems - one was a loose core, the other broke off and neither were while on the road. While we don't boondock, we don't always travel the best roads either. The truck spare, this as well as the last, never have been used in 215,000 miles

In my case both times I was reading the tire which said 65 lbs. as the max. The second guy that changed in VA told me I should run min of 80lbs. Both blowouts came on different legs of the same trip after the rig sat in one spot for nearly a year thru the summer in GA. I blamed it on a combination of operator ignorance and rubber fatigue. Tires were in their fifth year at the time, but showed almost no tread wear. Shortly after I traded that rig for our current Monty with G grade. I run at 110 minimum and now also have a TPMS. I watch them go up to nearly 130 sometimes on the road and don't worry unless one is below 110 then I go into action.

Mr Mustang
12-07-2019, 09:43 AM
I fabbed a jack saddle also. Like said, you need to measure in-between the axle U-Bolts because most every rig has a different space between them. You really don't need killer equipment here (12T jack) unless as stated ... the price was right at the time. I stated years ago about using a load cell atop my bottle jack and seeing just what I'm picking up when I raise a tire about 1/2" off the ground. For my 3150, it's around 2500#. You have to remember, you're not picking up the whole fiver, just one end of an axle. With that in mind, my saddle is made out of 1.5" angle .25" thick welded on top of a 1.75" thick walled pipe. The inner ID just happened to fit my bottle jack. Works good, will last a long time, and is coded black for easy identification :). With the invent of Level Up ... this chore has gotten alot easier. For those that insist on jacking up the frame and piling cribbing ... you're sure making this hard on yourself and your fiver. For those who rely on a roadside asssitance membership ... I may loose my health at some point, but for now, I don't have the patience to sit along the side of the road for an hour or better when I can have the spare on and on my way in less than 20 minutes.

I'm just wondering does your Jack saddle go under the axel? If so no worries about any damage to said axel? :confused:

scottz
12-09-2019, 04:03 PM
I used to carry a Milwaukee cordless impact wrench, but took it out because it takes up so much room and I figured if I ever needed it, the batter would be dead.

I carry more stuff the get the miserable rear hub caps off than what I need to change the tire.

Mr Pachu
12-09-2019, 04:48 PM
I carry more stuff the get the miserable rear hub caps off than what I need to change the tire.[/QUOTE]

What kind of stuff do you carry to get those miserable rear hub caps off? They sure are a pain.

Gunny B
12-09-2019, 08:23 PM
For the fun of it I tried taking one lug nut off the rear of my F350 and my brand new HF electric impact gun with 1050 breakaway torque and it didn't budge. Pulled out my 18 inch breaker bar and a 4 foot steel pipe and it still didn't budge. I'm thinking if I get a flat on my truck I'll need some semi truck tire guy to come out and use a one inch impact on it. Was thinking of standing on it but I'll wait until the spring to give it a try.

CaptnJohn
12-09-2019, 08:29 PM
Friday I’m scheduled for 1st oil change on my 2019 dually. I’ll have the tires rotated. Doubt the dealership will tighten them like that.

scottz
12-09-2019, 11:29 PM
I carry more stuff the get the miserable rear hub caps off than what I need to change the tire.

What kind of stuff do you carry to get those miserable rear hub caps off? They sure are a pain.[/QUOTE]

I tried about everything; spent 3 hours the first time I tried to take one off. I found this method and it worked the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwXI8TP4WHE

I carry a 2x4, ratchet strap, a couple of hooks with handles I made. If all else fails, a big hammer to smash it to pieces.

jeffba
12-10-2019, 05:02 AM
LOL it comes right off :rofl::rofl:

Dave W
12-10-2019, 06:48 AM
I would just get my army surplus slide hammer puller out - that cap would pop right off. I use mine mostly now to pull hub seals, but it has seem much use over the 40 years I've owned it:

https://www.mactools.com/Images/780x780zoom/PS999B.jpg

scottz
12-11-2019, 09:41 AM
I would just get my army surplus slide hammer puller out - that cap would pop right off. I use mine mostly now to pull hub seals, but it has seem much use over the 40 years I've owned it:

I might have to get one of those. Do you carry it on the road?

Dave W
12-12-2019, 05:21 AM
I might have to get one of those. Do you carry it on the road?

I don't have a dually but probably would if I had one. Mine doesn't even have a name but, being 50+ years old and US Army surplus, have to 'assume' iti s a good US brand and it is tough.

packnrat
12-12-2019, 07:08 AM
i am lucky. almost no flats in my personal trucks trailers.
but as a class A driver. no tools on board. and yes even in the city on a major hwy i have had to wait over 6 hrs for a flat repair to arrive.
i am now 60, with a bad back. and for my needs will always carry tools to change out a tire. but then in my life it is far better to be self reliant than have to depend on another.
as one never knows who will get the call to change out your tire. most are good. and some, lets just say he might have a ďfriendĒ arrive first.
yes has happened to a couple drivers i have known. not often, but does happen.

laverdur
12-12-2019, 08:52 AM
For Mr. Mustang: sorry for the delayed response to your last question. In 2006 when I had my saddle made it cost $60. A friend borrowed it recently to show a fab shop and get an estimate. He was told $150-160 by several shops - even at the same shop where mine was made.

scottz
12-12-2019, 12:08 PM
I don't have a dually but probably would if I had one. Mine doesn't even have a name but, being 50+ years old and US Army surplus, have to 'assume' iti s a good US brand and it is tough.

Thanks. Have one on order; probably not as good as the one you have, but it will work. When it gets here, I'll tell my wife she can give it to me for Christmas.

Dave W
12-12-2019, 12:58 PM
When it gets here, I'll tell my wife she can give it to me for Christmas.

:thumbsup:Sounds like the plans my wife and I have for 'gifts', i.e. the dog grooming table for her and the new kindle for me.

Let us know how it works. I don't use mine often these days.but when it's needed, it's there.

Just a quick warning - you can do a big hurt on a finger or the side of your hand real quick if your attention wanders - I have the experience to know that well.

laverdur
12-12-2019, 01:03 PM
Mr. Mustang - tried to reply to your PM but couldn't figure out how. My saddle is not for sale. Good luck.

Mr Mustang
12-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Mr. Mustang - tried to reply to your PM but couldn't figure out how. My saddle is not for sale. Good luck.

It was just my dry sense of humor! Just a joke brother! I have an appointment with a fabrication shop!:socool:

mlh
12-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Buying one of anything is very expensive. If you went together and had a welding shop make 20 or more the price would be reasonable for everyone probably way less than half of what one would cost.
Lynwood

347tht
02-06-2020, 10:28 AM
I purchased one of these ezjacks. They work really well and safe. I have a large cross tire iron. So far have i not had to do a tire on the road with the rv so that is a bonus.

barryn
02-06-2020, 09:36 PM
I purchased one of these ezjacks. They work really well and safe. I have a large cross tire iron. So far have i not had to do a tire on the road with the rv so that is a bonus.
Put it under one of your tires and raise the wheel up. If you can spin the other axle wheel you did good but if you can't then go get your money back.

347tht
02-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Put it under one of your tires and raise the wheel up. If you can spin the other axle wheel you did good but if you can't then go get your money back.

They work excellently. If the one side does not lift high enough you just flip it over and then it is no problem. I really rather try to keep up on my tires so I dont have to change them on the road.