PDA

View Full Version : My honey wants tv

joe lamel
11-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Been a newbie for 6 months on this full time journey, and every day is a new glitch and a new question
What do you all do for tv and internet? We have verizon hot spot because we were told we would need it. Considering satellite, but know nothing about it. Want to keep my honey happy.
Sherry and Joe Lamel
H C 375fl-duramax 2500

H.c. 375fl

rohrmann
11-11-2019, 10:47 PM
It all depends on how much money you want to spend and how easy you want the system to work. We decided to go with Dish and went with the roof mounted Trav'ler dish. We have two satellite boxes, one for each TV in the rig, so we can watch different channels on each TV. Once we get set up, and the slides out, one button on the dish control box turns on the dish and it locates the satellites on its own. The down side to this system is, if you set up in a lot of areas that have dense trees, it is possible you will not be able to get a clear shot to the satellites. They do make dishes that you can set up on the ground and run the cable to the rig, and for tree areas, that can be a better way to go. Both dish systems are available for both Dish and DirecTV. This is kind of like which truck is better, so it's a personal choice for you.

suny07
11-12-2019, 02:11 AM
Hi,

we use an apple tv and stream over our verizon hotspot or the campgrounds wifi.
All those streaming apps is getting so convenient. Disneys + package is starting today yikes.
Depending on how long we stay I also hook up to campgrounds cable.
I normally also run the channel setup for Montys antenna.

Always thought fighting with the satellite either mobile or on the roof is to much headache for me plus subscription is quite expensive for what you get besides all ads.

If we have no reception which is extreme rare now a days we still have DVD's and yes Books ;)

Mike

Route66Rambler
11-12-2019, 07:55 AM
The Mobile Internet Resource Center is the best place to get information on all of the options out there and prices. The post new videos when new information comes out or you can sign up for a premium membership for more news and forums.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

DQDick
11-12-2019, 08:06 AM
We used to have Winegard G2+ and two receiver then went to a Traveler and a Hopper and a Joey. Now we can record up to 16 shows at a time (not sure who would do that) and we also use Dish. For internet we use our Verizon hot spot on our phones. You really need to look at where you camp. Verizon is the best and in some spots only reliable service where we go. Also, it you camp in the woods don't go with a Traveler. The Winegard G2+ powers it'self so it can be far from the rig and still work.

1retired06
11-12-2019, 08:20 AM
We use Directv and have wireless ipads for internet connectivity.

mazboy
11-12-2019, 09:27 AM
you already have tv...the antenna.

if you want more than you will have to go to direct/dish or shaw (canada) and pay the price, just like home.

as for a satellite dish I'd go with the winegard traveler.

internet is usually at the campground or your verizon.

Last2Die
11-12-2019, 01:14 PM
I just installed TOGO, unlimited internet 30$ a month. I have 3 fire sticks and stream everything. It can also connect to nearby WIFI and boost that signal too. If I have no service, which means no internet, then I have a server in the trailer and I have shows and over 800 movies to keep me occupied when off line.

MidMOTraveler
11-12-2019, 01:26 PM
I have the Dish tailgater. Carry out and set on a tripod they sell.
Basic and local channels is around $50 a month.
The best part is Dish has an app and you change locations with it and 10 minutes later your watching local channels from nearby.
Then if you’re not going to be using it you just don’t pay and no charge. Been working for us 2 years .

jimandlaurie
11-12-2019, 01:27 PM
We do the same as rohrmann stated above... but we also have a Pathway X2 portable when the roof antenna is covered.
Also this is like choosing a truck, tires,etc....endless ideas.Just find what works for you ..Good Hunting.

Mikendebbie
11-12-2019, 01:54 PM
MidMoTravler said "The best part is Dish has an app and you change locations with it and 10 minutes later your watching local channels from nearby."

I have Dish with a Tailgater also. What is the app you use to accomplish this without calling Dish to switch to local channels? I have MyDish app and I have found a "wake up my receivers" under "Services" and "DISH Outdoors" - but I have never found a page in the app that lets me switch the locals by (say) changing the zip code to my new location. In fact the DISH service center told me I could not do that via the app or internet, and the only way to get local channels switched was to call the 800 number. I would love to know how you do it...I don't like listening to 8 minutes (and more) of that music while on hold.

jetskier
11-12-2019, 01:54 PM
I bought the Air TV Player (from Sling). It's a OTA dual tuner module with streaming services. If you plug in any USB harddrive, it turns it into a DVR for over the air programming. It is Android based, so I installed the Dish Anywhere app and can access my Hopper from home and stream shows from my DVR as long as I have internet access.

mlh
11-12-2019, 01:57 PM
We to have a Dish Tailgater. It cost about $300, works great. It’s easy set it down hook up one wire it finds the satellites and in a few minutes you are watching TV. We actually have two, one mounted on the camper and one portable, for when something is blocking the signal.
Lynwood

Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
11-12-2019, 02:50 PM
MikeandDebbie,

There is no way to change the local channels on Dish without calling them. They have been telling me for over a year that they planned to automate that but it still has not happened. Before I got Dish in my home, I could change the zip on my RV Wally without help. As soon as I put Dish into my house, they said I could not do that anymore. The UP side is that I only pay $7 a month for the service in the RV and I can add and delete the service anytime.

rohrmann
11-12-2019, 04:58 PM
MidMoTravler said "The best part is Dish has an app and you change locations with it and 10 minutes later your watching local channels from nearby."

I have Dish with a Tailgater also. What is the app you use to accomplish this without calling Dish to switch to local channels? I have MyDish app and I have found a "wake up my receivers" under "Services" and "DISH Outdoors" - but I have never found a page in the app that lets me switch the locals by (say) changing the zip code to my new location. In fact the DISH service center told me I could not do that via the app or internet, and the only way to get local channels switched was to call the 800 number. I would love to know how you do it...I don't like listening to 8 minutes (and more) of that music while on hold.

I depends on how your account is set up. If you pay ahead, you don’t have that ability yet. I have found the easiest way to change areas for local channel viewing is to log in to your account and use the Chat feature. A couple minutes back and forth with the chat and you are good to go. Just tell them as part of the conversation that you are in an RV and you only want your service address changed but not your billing address. I have also discovered that the Dish site does not play nice with the Firefox browser so I have to use the Microsoft browser instead.

Mikendebbie
11-13-2019, 04:10 AM
Rohrman and Soon2BSnowbird - thank you!

timandsusan
11-13-2019, 06:37 AM
X2 for CHAT feature--sure works for us.

laverdur
11-17-2019, 01:56 PM
I use a Verizon Jet Pack for internet and have had good luck with coverage all across US and Canada unless you get so far out in the boonies that there is no cell signal. Dish Network satellite TV with roof-mounted Winegard Trav'ler.

Clark 2012 346LBQ
11-17-2019, 02:07 PM
I have two gamers in our rig. And one is homeschooled with mostly programming classes and I work out of the rig most of the time, so we have to have dependable internet. That said it makes streaming really easy. We use unlimitedville we can have up to 15 devices connected at any time without throttling. It is on the expensive side they have 4 plans we chose AT&T but we are covered in Canada all lower 48 and Mexico for $200 per month.

barryn
11-17-2019, 04:28 PM
WE use Roko on hotspot for movies, which will use up 2 Gig per movie. For TV we use DirecTV on a Travelers Dish, and we have two reasons we are doing this, so one is for if the signal is blocked we have 100' of coax to play with and the other is for when we sale the RV and buy something else we don't have to purchase another dish for 2k. On top of all of this if you need to work on it , the dish is at ground level. see Picture below. I call it Dish on a Dolly. LOL

cpaulsen
11-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Dish for tv...….Verizon for internet

PeteandJoan
11-17-2019, 08:23 PM
I have used Dish Network for about 12-13 yrs. Started with a dish on a tripod but got a Tailgater in 2011(?) when they first became available and just replaced it last week with another King Tailgater #4900. I was very concerned about how long of a cable I could use because had been told only 35'-50' was max depending on model. Just hooked it up today using 75' (a 50' + 25') and it works perfectly. Paid about $300 on Amazon with free shipping. Direct TV is not HD using portable Satellite. I use "chat" online to change locals as we move around. Several portable satellite options out there. Just research ....it can get really confusing .

barryn
11-17-2019, 10:36 PM
WE use Roko on hotspot for movies, which will use up 2 Gig per movie. For TV we use DirecTV on a Travelers Dish, and we have two reasons we are doing this, so one is for if the signal is blocked we have 100' of coax to play with and the other is for when we sale the RV and buy something else we don't have to purchase another dish for 2k. On top of all of this if you need to work on it , the dish is at ground level. see Picture below. I call it Dish on a Dolly. LOL
The dish is HD for Smart TV. GREAT picture
Would down grade picture to a King Dome, but WHY, I have a smart TV with 4K and the picture is GREAT for ball games and movies. Internet we hotspot with Verizon, pay bills and plot our next move and e-mail. We place the "Dolly on a Dish" on a carryall when traveling. Sets up in 3 mins. And your watching the weather channel.

jfaberna
11-18-2019, 04:42 AM
One observation about video over a Hotspot on Verizon.

I have the cheapest Unlimited Data that Verizon offers. About $30 more than before. The Hotspot data rate get's throttled to a very low rate after a short time so streaming a FireTV or Apple TV becomes a problem.

However, if you watch on your phone it magically doesn't throttle. So my solution was to get a $29 cable that connects my phone to the TV (USB-C to HDMI). I bought one that also has a place to plug in the charger at the same time so I could watch a NHL game for hours and still have my phone battery charged when I'm done.

So I've eliminated all satellite TV at home and in the RV. My TV service everywhere is Youtube.TV. It gives me HDTV on all the channels we care about either on my internet at home, WiFi, or Verizon via the phone. Just not Hotspot.

FYI I've found the sequence of plugging this up is important. USB-C and charger first, then phone and finally TV. Not sure why but if you don't the charger is not recognized.

MidMOTraveler
11-18-2019, 06:18 AM
Mikendebbie, Sorry for the late reply we’re n Mexico for the winter and don’t check in as much.
On the Dish app there’s the manage your account page that says locate. With location service turned on on phone it pin points you and says the locals you’ll be getting.
I have had to use the chat feature 2 times but all the others just came up.
Using an I phone with the app don’t know if that matters.

crewmember
11-18-2019, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the info about Mobile internet. We just got back from 5 weeks on the road and campgrounds from Tennessee to New Mexico and all across Texas. I would say out of 20+ campgrounds only two had anything I would even call "wifi" or internet. My Verizon phone acts as very slow hotspot. But I try and work from the road and find it all but impossible with the lousy internet. We've been looking for a solution.

We did add a Dish
with the cable connecting to RV this time and it was wonderful. Worked everywhere, was worth it. I confess, we are big TV in the evening watchers.

Last2Die
11-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info about Mobile internet. We just got back from 5 weeks on the road and campgrounds from Tennessee to New Mexico and all across Texas. I would say out of 20+ campgrounds only two had anything I would even call "wifi" or internet. My Verizon phone acts as very slow hotspot. But I try and work from the road and find it all but impossible with the lousy internet. We've been looking for a solution.

We did add a Dish
with the cable connecting to RV this time and it was wonderful. Worked everywhere, was worth it. I confess, we are big TV in the evening watchers.

if you look though the post I found a solution to RV unlimited internet for 30 a month. works at my house and cell service is not very good here. I was Able to stream from all 3 TV's, using amazon fire sticks, streaming ATT TV ,Netflix, PLEX

DebNJim B
11-21-2019, 05:30 AM
We've used both Direct and Dish with mediocre results on both likely due to RV cabling. I don't know why they have multiple cable inputs when they all go into a big splitter then one cable to each TV and then another splitter at the tv. The satellites work better if I run a cable thru the window to by-pass splitters but who wants to do that. I read where Dish and Direct are going to merge because so many are cutting the cable. Stream is the future in TV. All the cable companies are now offering stream packages. Hot spot works good but you need an unlimited plan as video eats up data. We had Comcast run cable Internet into our winter site and we share it with our daughter next door. Netflix, Prime, ATT-TV all work great, and cheaper and better than either satellite service. Also we got almost nothing OTA at our location. I noticed in FL last winter that some CG's are using third party WiFi at extra cost that is good for streaming. Our experience was cost was reasonable and performance was superior. We will use that when in Venice this coming Feb.
Anyone want a King Tailgater and two Wally's? Cheap. PM me.

Richcart
11-21-2019, 01:33 PM
I researched mobile hot spots on the Mobile Internet site, in fact I joined to get their latest news. Anyway, because I still work remotely I have a Verizon unlimited but 720 streaming only for $65 month and ATT that gives 4K unlimited for $60 month. Youtube TV had 1 channel Hulu didn't so I went with them but both are $50 month. I haven't had any issues traveling, one or both find good coverage. When I retire next year I'll drop one of them.

The Verizon plan is no longer available but ATT plan is, through a 3rd party reseller. The new Verizon unlimited plans actually have limits.

Last2Die
11-21-2019, 03:35 PM
I researched mobile hot spots on the Mobile Internet site, in fact I joined to get their latest news. Anyway, because I still work remotely I have a Verizon unlimited but 720 streaming only for $65 month and ATT that gives 4K unlimited for $60 month. Youtube TV had 1 channel Hulu didn't so I went with them but both are $50 month. I haven't had any issues traveling, one or both find good coverage. When I retire next year I'll drop one of them.

The Verizon plan is no longer available but ATT plan is, through a 3rd party reseller. The new Verizon unlimited plans actually have limits.

Look into Togo unlimited internet for $30. Just checked streaming at 1080

Rod Spohn
12-18-2019, 01:45 PM
One observation about video over a Hotspot on Verizon.

I have the cheapest Unlimited Data that Verizon offers. About $30 more than before. The Hotspot data rate get's throttled to a very low rate after a short time so streaming a FireTV or Apple TV becomes a problem.

However, if you watch on your phone it magically doesn't throttle. So my solution was to get a $29 cable that connects my phone to the TV (USB-C to HDMI). I bought one that also has a place to plug in the charger at the same time so I could watch a NHL game for hours and still have my phone battery charged when I'm done.

So I've eliminated all satellite TV at home and in the RV. My TV service everywhere is Youtube.TV. It gives me HDTV on all the channels we care about either on my internet at home, WiFi, or Verizon via the phone. Just not Hotspot.

FYI I've found the sequence of plugging this up is important. USB-C and charger first, then phone and finally TV. Not sure why but if you don't the charger is not recognized.

We've had our 2019 for about 6 month and have wondered from the start why they do not put smart TVs in these trailers. I think I need to find the correct size smart TV to fit the opening at least for the main TV. Besides cost is there a reason the use old school TVs?

jeffba
12-18-2019, 06:17 PM
We've had our 2019 for about 6 month and have wondered from the start why they do not put smart TVs in these trailers. I think I need to find the correct size smart TV to fit the opening at least for the main TV. Besides cost is there a reason the use old school TVs?

Nope..

jetskier
12-18-2019, 06:35 PM

Mainly because Jensen is not a "Smart" brand.

DebNJim B
01-02-2020, 09:02 AM

I'm sure their reason was to save a buck, but the truth is you're better off without one. I had the same question when we got our new unit and then did some research. Turns out the Roku and Fire sticks are better. The processors are faster and they update automatically. You're better off with a dumb tv.

I have a four year old smart tv at home with a Fire stick in it because Samson doesn't offer the apps I want and Amazon does. We are so happy with streaming that we cut the cable and sent the satellite junk back. You can now get streaming packages with all the good channels for 1/3 the cost of sat or cable. Netflix has a lot of content for a good price and Amazon Prime streaming comes with the deal and you get free shipping on all purchases. I also hear Disney has a great streaming package but I haven't seen it.

Anyway, be glad they didn't stick you with a not so smart TV.

BiggarView
01-30-2020, 07:27 AM
Just read that the TOGO unlimited being offered by ATT is going away... so that awesome option is dead. As for satellite... we considered that at first but then with rapidly dropping cost of internet data options coming at us fast and furious we are now considering going full on streaming(Amazon Prime and Netflix) and divert the money in our budget from satellite to additional VZ data and/or ATT data (redundancy is your friend). Still have the antenna for local stuff as needed. YMMV as they say. If we find ourselves in areas with no internet connectivity, DVDs, other movies stored on our 1TB hard drive and good old fashion card playing will be our amusements during indoor evenings and down time.

Last2Die
01-30-2020, 07:39 AM
Just read that the TOGO unlimited being offered by ATT is going away... so that awesome option is dead. As for satellite... we considered that at first but then with rapidly dropping cost of internet data options coming at us fast and furious we are now considering going full on streaming(Amazon Prime and Netflix) and divert the money in our budget from satellite to additional VZ data and/or ATT data (redundancy is your friend). Still have the antenna for local stuff as needed. YMMV as they say. If we find ourselves in areas with no internet connectivity, DVDs, other movies stored on our 1TB hard drive and good old fashion card playing will be our amusements during indoor evenings and down time.

yeah I just found out about TOGO too, already contacted Winegard, they provided the information to unlock the unit to use with additional SIM cards. I still have plenty of time until the plan runs out but still sucks. Once it expires I will see what's out there, at least I can use other SIM cards in the unit but it won't be at that price. I run a PLEX Intranet in the coach for just those occasions where I have no service, works great. I always try to have options

I have the ATT unlimited on my phone and also have ATT now streaming service, I can stream that with no data use at all might need to go back to that, connecting the phone to the TV directly, that works ok just canst change the channel without getting up and using the phone. But at least I can stream data free all I want with no caps on the service, ATT calls it sponsored data.

Hopefully by the end of the year there will be some new options as far as using the TOGO, if not oh well....

Tony

432bartman
06-29-2020, 08:55 AM
Just got the Winegard Dish Playmaker Dual, with two receivers. Used it for the first time, and it worked perfectly. I think out the door for the unit and two receivers was $650.00. What's nice is Dish has a pay as you need it. It's by a month to month basis. The basic fee, which has a ton of channels is like $40.00 and it goes up from there.

mazboy
06-29-2020, 09:31 AM
i personally like my travler on top. got tried of trying to locate the darn satellite with a dish. and of course there is the on air tv antenna that still works great.

as for internet, i use the campground and my verizon phone. I don't do movies or stream.

barryn
07-21-2020, 05:09 AM
The dish is HD for Smart TV. GREAT picture
Would down grade picture to a King Dome, but WHY, I have a smart TV with 4K and the picture is GREAT for ball games and movies. Internet we hotspot with Verizon, pay bills and plot our next move and e-mail. We place the "Dolly on a Dish" on a carryall when traveling. Sets up in 3 mins. And your watching the weather channel.
"Well", I'm DONE with Montana's and 5th wheels all together!!! I have moved on to Newmar Motor Coach 3710. In motion sat. Living the good life and not looking back. See you on the road.

DebNJim B
07-21-2020, 06:22 AM
"Well", I'm DONE with Montana's and 5th wheels all together!!! I have moved on to Newmar Motor Coach 3710. In motion sat. Living the good life and not looking back. See you on the road.

Wow, all to get good TV?:bow::thumbsup::rofl:

richfaa
07-21-2020, 08:40 AM
We use the roof antenna for local stations wherever we are it works great 95%% of the time or better. We use Verizon hot spot for internet and directv