PDA

View Full Version : Off the ground

Sdexte
11-05-2019, 12:03 PM
This is kind of tire related... the site that I am in is mostly level but with with the passenger side jacks extended to level it side to side the passenger side wheels are off the ground by about 2 to 2 1/2 inches. My question is should I be putting something under the tires so they are not just hanging or will they be ok like that. We are here for two weeks and I donít want to do anything to mess up the axle or suspension.

Thanks

Creeker
11-05-2019, 01:25 PM
I still use boards to back up on even with the auto level system.
I no longer worry about getting it perfect but I do take the few minutes
to get my side to side close to level with boards before extending the auto level. I find the system to work much faster and much more accurate if I start fairly close to level. I feel its also less stress on frame and suspension.

I will not allow ours to be lifted off the ground for any lengthy time. I'm sure others do differently.

WeBeFulltime
11-05-2019, 01:41 PM
We have been full-timing for more than 9 years and our first Montana with levelers was a 2012. We have had tires on one side off the ground for longer than a month MANY times and have had no problems. If I wanted to manhandle boards I would have kept the 2008 Montana we had. :hornets:

rmthelen
11-05-2019, 02:20 PM
If you don't like the wheels off the ground, raise your trailer up a few inches and place boards under the wheels and lower back down.

BuilderBob
11-05-2019, 03:15 PM
We have been in sites like like also. That is what the jacks are for they will hold the weight of 5er no problem.

Sdexte
11-05-2019, 03:25 PM
Thanks all, I was mostly concerned about any stress put on the axle. I do have some lumber pieces I think Iíll put under them.

Sdexte
11-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Thanks all, I was mostly concerned about any stress put on the axle. I do have some lumber pieces I think Iíll put under them.

beeje
11-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Ours has been off the ground many times (ALL 4 wheels). I would not worry to much about the axles. I would be more concerned with the leg rams bending from the trailer moving too much side to side.

DQDick
11-05-2019, 06:09 PM
When we worked for Fish and Wildlife we frequently had one or more wheels off the ground, sometimes for the entire winter. Never had any issues.