PDA

View Full Version : Sailun Tires from Walmart

bullroc3
07-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Has anyone purchased your new Sailun Tires P235/80R16 from Walmart? How old were the tires you received?

rohrmann
07-09-2019, 12:46 AM
Pretty sure the tires should be designated ST instead of P, as they are not passenger tires but are trailer tires.

bullroc3
07-09-2019, 08:36 AM
You are correct. My goof. Just ordered 5 from Walmart. $130 each.

Utahtrapper
07-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Wish they carried the 235/85/16 Sailun"s
Called several Walmarts In Idaho Where I blew my 3rd and Last G 614 goodyear
Had to go to Les Schwab for $262.40 included Balancing
Night and Day feel for the Truck and Trailer. Hope they continue to be as good as everyone says. The Good Year G 614 should be Illegal

Rondo
07-12-2019, 10:52 PM
Sidney-- I'm on my second set of Goodyear G 614's and have had no problems with them except for a flat tire I did not catch down in Arizona and ruined the tire by driving on it to long. I had my first set on for 5 years and they still looked like new except for the wear because of a bad axle alignment. I don't run any tire on the Monte over 5 years. Put on four new ones and a spare last November and have 10,000+ miles on them now and not showing any wear or anything. What was the problem with yours that you were having blowouts with them? Did you turn in a claim to Goodyear?

Utahtrapper
07-12-2019, 11:37 PM
2 of the 3 the centers just deconstructed ripping my marker lights out and supports and also my fenders but still held air. This one on monday, not only the center tread came off but it blew completely thru the casing. GoodYear has never even tried to accommodate me with follow thru Just Red Tape that has went nowhere. I am a USA Nebraska farm boy and every nickel I spend I like to be Local. But the ride back home today yes only 300m miles my truck and trailer has never steered straighter or smoother.

Rondo
07-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Sidney-- PM on your way to you!

Mark N.
07-17-2019, 02:07 PM
G614s should be illegal? Best tire I've EVER put on a trailer, and I've been RVing non-stop since 1980

mazboy
07-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Aren't the ones we want.....Saliuns LT235/85R16???? not 80R???

r

DieselDevilDog
07-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Please do not buy any tires made in China. They are not held to our manufacturing standards. They might say "dot" on the side of the tire but they can put anything on it. I use to drive for Chrysler at their Arizona Proving Grounds....these tires are crap!

And remember always check the born on date stamp on the side of the tire right after the DOT info.....................for instance....0516 that means the tire was made in the 5th week of 2016. Just for your info......"China Bombs"

waynemoore
07-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Please do not buy any tires made in China. They are not held to our manufacturing standards. They might say "dot" on the side of the tire but they can put anything on it. I use to drive for Chrysler at their Arizona Proving Grounds....these tires are crap!

And remember always check the born on date stamp on the side of the tire right after the DOT info.....................for instance....0516 that means the tire was made in the 5th week of 2016. Just for your info......"China Bombs"

I guess you have not been following the Sailunís like I have for the last 7 or so years.

I have heard of only one failed tire.

Just saying is all.

DieselDevilDog
07-17-2019, 03:57 PM
I found this on the Grand Design Forum....for all you Sailun Tire Owners it's good info. Also, Lionshead who makes the rims for our RV's said you should have metal stems installed when using higher pressure tires.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/showthread.php/18512-Sailun-Tire-Important-Update

desolar001
07-17-2019, 04:11 PM
We will let you know how the Sailuns work out. We just purchased new ST235/85R G Load Range 132, which we are having mounted on new Aluminum HD Trailer Wheel with Chrome Cap - 16" x 6.5" 8 On 6.5 - 4450 LB Load Carrying Capacity - 0 Offset

keeping our fingers crossed and we will update down the road.

Stay safe.

Rwalker
07-17-2019, 06:09 PM
I ordered two Sailun S637 tires, ST235/80R16, from Wal-Mart last week for $130.00 each. One has a born date 1319 and the other is 1419.

mhs4771
07-17-2019, 06:35 PM
I've heard of many more failures on Made in the USA Goodyear tires both G614s and G114s than I have Sailuns.
I just had a 4 year old Goodyear G114 17.5" H rated tire explode. So I'm crossing my fingers and just put on 4 Sailun 17.5" H rated tires.

Mark7
07-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Anyone want to discuss oil filters? :horse::hide:

Skw774
07-17-2019, 07:51 PM
I just put 400 miles on my new sailun’s and love them. Big difference in how the trailer rode and handled.

GreG L.
07-17-2019, 09:39 PM
I read somewhere recently that the tires the big box stores sell are not the same tires you get from a tire store, the reason they are lower cost? When I read that a light went on, i have had two incidents over the years where there was a defect in a new tire I bought from Walmart or Costco but never from a tire store. May be just the luck of the draw.

Mark7
07-17-2019, 09:44 PM
:popcorn:

CalandLinda
07-18-2019, 05:48 AM
When I got a 15% AARP discount for a steak dinner and my friends got the same dinner at the market price, I'm pretty sure we got the same value dinner because the establishment didn't know I was going to get a discount before I ordered.

Same for big box stores. They buy in volume and can afford to sell for less because of the discount they got for volume buying.

mazboy
07-18-2019, 07:10 AM
i agreemwith Mark7, let's talk about oil filters. Or, we can talk about my new K&N air filter.

when you deal in millions of tires you will get a blow out at some point. that is just the way it is. G614s and the Saliuns are popular tires and they work.

SteveandTerri
07-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Has anyone purchased your new Sailun Tires P235/80R16 from Walmart? How old were the tires you received?

Just received delivery on a Sailun from Walmart. They were shipped to my home from the Walmart Warehouse in Waco. The 'born on' date was week 16 of 2019. Here's the cost recap:

Order summary
Order subtotal: $125.57
Walmart shipping FREE
Total tax: $10.20
Merchandise fees: $1.75
Order total: $137.52

This one's going to be my spare - bought 4 of them (also from Walmart for the same price) and put them in service a few months ago.

Pictures attached....

Texan
07-19-2019, 12:55 AM
Ordered a spare 235x85x16 Sailun from Amazon 07/17/19 for 125.34 delivered. I don't believe there is a cheaper price on the web but could be wrong.

mazboy
07-19-2019, 06:36 AM
Steve just be aware, you purchased 80R ratio tires and not the 85R that most are putting on their trailers. 85R have a heavier weight 4400pounds, not 4080 pounds.

CalandLinda
07-19-2019, 06:38 AM
The pictures of the Sailun tires in post #22 show the plant code, MW. They were built by Shenyang Peace Radial
Tire manufacturing Co., LTD
Shenyang, Lialning, China

It's often asked where Sailun tires are made. That's where those were built.

CalandLinda
07-19-2019, 06:55 AM
Steve just be aware, you purchased 80R ratio tires and not the 85R that most are putting on their trailers. 85R have a heavier weight 4400pounds, not 4080 pounds.

He has 6000# axles. Those tires are super "over kill" for those axles. In fact, ST235/85R16E tires would have provided more than 600# of load capacity reserves at 80 PSI per wheel position. To equal that reserve load capacity he will have to go to 90 PSI with the Sailun tires he has purchased.

While I'm on this subject I'm going to mention "Zipper Ruptures". Anyone using steel cased tires should read the reference provided below.

An early warning of a steel cased tire sidewall failure will be little steel wires protruding from the sidewall.

http://www.ultraseal.com/pages/tbzipperruptures.html

greische
07-21-2019, 07:10 PM
I just ordered 235/80R16 Sailuns last week. They arrived in 2 days. Manufacture date on the tires is 1419 so I consider that to be as fresh a tire as you could get. I have a question on my factory wheels. I have an early 2018 High Country with load range E tires (they started putting the F range on them a few months after mine was built. The 2018 brochure shows rims to 110PSI. The early brochure shows no PSI rating. I called Keystone and they were less than helpful (girl on the phone actually reprimanded me for "attempting to modify their trailer". I called back and had someone tell me the wheels will hold 95PSI (which is the PSI rating of the F range tires they are now putting on the HC, so that was a safe answer). My wheels are 8 lug and have full steel valve stems. I think I found the company name who made the wheels but I was just looking to see if someone out there in Montana land knows where I can find the details on the wheel without having to jump through all these hoops. Thanks

mhs4771
07-21-2019, 07:16 PM
You should have a rating on the backside of one of the spokes, it will either give the max PSI or max load in pounds, or maybe both.

greische
07-21-2019, 07:19 PM
You should have a rating on the backside of one of the spokes, it will either give the max PSI or max load in pounds, or maybe both.
So I do have to take one of the wheels off if I cannot see it past the brake drum?

mhs4771
07-21-2019, 07:29 PM
I would crawl under with a flashlight first and see if I could see it. If not then you would be forced to pull a wheel to check.

CalandLinda
07-21-2019, 08:00 PM
I just ordered 235/80R16 Sailuns last week. They arrived in 2 days. Manufacture date on the tires is 1419 so I consider that to be as fresh a tire as you could get. I have a question on my factory wheels. I have an early 2018 High Country with load range E tires (they started putting the F range on them a few months after mine was built. The 2018 brochure shows rims to 110PSI. The early brochure shows no PSI rating. I called Keystone and they were less than helpful (girl on the phone actually reprimanded me for "attempting to modify their trailer". I called back and had someone tell me the wheels will hold 95PSI (which is the PSI rating of the F range tires they are now putting on the HC, so that was a safe answer). My wheels are 8 lug and have full steel valve stems. I think I found the company name who made the wheels but I was just looking to see if someone out there in Montana land knows where I can find the details on the wheel without having to jump through all these hoops. Thanks

She just doesn't know her product very well and should let someone with more experience answer questions she knows little about. A ST235/80R16 is a designated tire size. Load ranges are just degrees of load capacities that designated size can be built to support.

The vehicle manufacturer is supposed to be able to accurately answer questions about the tires and wheels sold on their vehicles. However, the wheel manufacturer MUST answer those questions about their wheels and are required to put their company name on the wheels so you can contact them with such questions. Do you know who the OEM provider was? Most of them have that info in PDFs on the internet.

Wheels do not have to support the maximum load capacity the tire can support. But, they are required to support the GAWR capacity of the axle they are fitted to.

mazboy
07-22-2019, 05:10 AM
your rating is STAMPED on you wheel! what is the issue? go under the trailer and find the psi rating.

Keystone won't know exactly what your wheel is rated for many of their trailers. Do it yourself.

PSFORD99
07-23-2019, 09:15 AM
Ordered a spare 235x85x16 Sailun from Amazon 07/17/19 for 125.34 delivered. I don't believe there is a cheaper price on the web but could be wrong.

How old was the tire ??

PSFORD99
07-23-2019, 09:38 AM
I just put 400 miles on my new sailunís and love them. Big difference in how the trailer rode and handled.

Never quite understood the handling ,and ride on a fifth wheel, no one rides back there

I have had three different sets of tires on my 2008 Montana fifth wheel in the nearly 12 years, and have never really felt any difference. Only thing I notice is my 3500 Ram rides better :)

Utahtrapper
07-23-2019, 10:39 AM
My Amazon purchase was 1 week ago showed up next day same 125.34 to my door.

Build Date 1419

BuilderBob
07-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Y do we have to beat the He!! out of this every time someone buys new tire's or a new Truck ?

Sandra_David
07-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Hi all,
Just got my Sailun tires today. I ordered them from Amazon, $122/tire with tax and free delivery approx. $130/tire.
FYI they were shipped from Simple Tire and the manufacture date is 16 19 on both tires.
Very pleased.:whistling:

Sandra_David
07-25-2019, 12:54 PM
Utahtrapper, Same here...I didn't see your reply before posting mine.

Texan
07-25-2019, 02:50 PM
How old was the tire ??

1319. Any tire coming from Amazon will most likely come thru Simple tire. My tire had Simple tire as the shipper but Simple tire was higher priced so I went with Amazon but I bought my last 2 sets of Sailun's from Simple tire.

CaptnJohn
07-26-2019, 02:34 PM
You have a 2018 HC and "see if someone out there in Montana land knows where I can find the details on the wheel without having to jump through all these hoops.". My last 5er was a 2017 HC with Rainier LR F tires (for 43 miles before switching). The wheels were rated 110 psi. Relaced with /85/ Sailun and ran at 105 PSI. Way overkill but were great ~~ traded recently.

mazboy
07-26-2019, 02:46 PM
CJ probably a new thread needed since not related to initial thread.

Skw774
07-26-2019, 04:01 PM
My 2018 HC has 110 psi rims. I could not see the numbers until I pulled off a wheel.

uhftx
10-15-2019, 06:03 PM

I ordered and received 2 weeks ago. st235/85/16 $130 each with white spoke rims $52 each and 5 steel valve stems $10. Tires and wheels shipped promply and received. The valve stems were on a slow boat from china. I called and complained since they were suppose to ship from Jamica NY but were shipped via DHL which only does international delivery. After 2 weeks and no movement via tracking #'s walmart credited me the Valve Stems.

14th week 2019 as I interpret it
CODE is 1419 as of 10/06/19 so fairly new by standards. I know some say if they are in a warehouse and protected from the sun it does not matter. But I beg to differ. New is not a year old or older is not new.

The GVWR is 9???K from the factory. Max is 12??K most likely due to the axle ratings from the factory.

S637 Load Range G 4400 lbs per tire @ 110Psi , all steel Tires, I ordered 5 Tires and 4 Rims. However, Tire Warehouse could not get 2 of them within specks to balance over 12OZ and their machine was faulting out (spin up due to weight or inertia). Reset machine and still had an issue with two tires, after They did try and try again, One was so bad it called adding 13 oz to one side and 2oz to the other. Almost The entire rim would of been solid weights if they were all applied to one side. So don't tell the misses but I have a spare that is not balanced. The other one just had to be rotated on the rim to offset the imbalance. It may be a rim problem. I had a good spare rim so with a little touch up paint ill be good.
I have had the TPMS for a couple of years screw on valve stem caps. Only two worked accurately. One always while traveling said 10 or 15psi while rotating. They always worked upon install static in the driveway 20 feet away. So I bought the signal booster and installed it in the front compartment behind the PIN above the battery in front of the hydraulic pump. NO change. The other seemed to cause a small leak letting out the air in the tire on top of reading inaccurate while under rotation. The last blow out with the TPMS sensor detected nothing till the center tread let go and shredded. The tire was holding air but center tread was flapping around and causing damage. I was only 15 miles from home and on a rural route going 30 - 35 MPH. Pulled off the road. But difficulties caused me to limp home with a aired up tire but pieces still fraying at much lower speed flashers on and limping home.

However rims never stated the PSI rating. NO markings on the inside of the rim. My original rims stated the 80 PSI rating. I did have a rim leak when running load range d LT tires General Grabber brand. My 3255 came with LT tires from Keystone. I Called and could not get an answer, after consulting with etrailer basically they stated the rims today will withhold pressure. IT is the valve stem which is not rated. The rims were TaskMaster white spoke 16x6 with a 5.5 bolt circle They are 6 LUG. My Axles, spring mounts and hardware are now the weakest link.

When I tow my midsize backhoe and construction trailer the weight feels proportional. So I do not think Im not close to the 12K limit. A Little water in the fresh tank and Bumper pull vs 5er pin weight. It just feels the same for acceleration and braking when loaded.

Short of replacing the axles and entire suspension on a 2003 camper which is only weekend warrior service still in good condition and only used twice last year and 4 times the previous year. It is not feasible to go with disk brakes and wet bolts and suspension upgrades. Besides what is the frame rated for? Lots of questions.
The you hear about frame flex or pin box frame issues. I don't feel after all these years. I have any of these problems. I hope and pray that I have not jinks myself. Time will tell. I have a good one so far and like they say. They don't make things like they use to.
I would like to have the surround sound sound, and the fireplace and the island. But what are the trade offs. I can add aftermarket fireplace or just put a heater on and stream it to the TV, which I upgraded from the CRT to flat screens. The ONLY upgrades I have done with the exception of the tires and rims I just did.

Granted I doubt if the camper has 15K miles on the chassis? Age and the Max I have gone is national rally in IN and a few North East rallys A trip to Virginia and another to Myrtle Beach. Other than that work is always in the way. Till next year early retirement and fun in the sun and more travel while the health will support the lifestyle.

My weak link was the Truck (since replaced) . It was OLD and got to the point of untrustworthy.

Still working and living comfortably but always something comes up for expenses or obligations which put a dent camping and weekends or time away. The reality is leave on a Friday and return on a Sunday is not necessarily a relaxing time away. Well I don't do that anymore it is Thursday thur at least Monday for 3 Days full of R&R.

PNW Fireguy
10-15-2019, 08:30 PM
In order to get the full benefit of the 4400lb per tire load capacity you need to have the 4400lb version of the 110psi wheels vs the 3870lb variety.

CalandLinda
10-15-2019, 11:39 PM
In order to get the full benefit of the 4400lb per tire load capacity you need to have the 4400lb version of the 110psi wheels vs the 3870lb variety.

If you actually have the 3870# wheels and they are rated for 110 PSI they are good to go. According to the specs on your trailer you have 7000 axles. You can not exceed the wheel capacity unless you extremely over load your axles. Tire loads exceeding an axles capacity is known as "load capacity reserves".

You can confirm my message by reading chapter four in the reference below.

https://www.ustires.org/sites/default/files/CareAndService_PassengerAndLightTruckTires.pdf

desolar001
10-16-2019, 05:49 AM
We have been running on our new Sailuns since July and we have no complaints. Keeping fingers crossed, but so far so good.

PNW Fireguy
10-16-2019, 06:32 AM
Not in my case. As I said if you need to get the full benefit rather than headroom. Just something else to keep in mind.

Chasnracin
10-16-2019, 02:59 PM
:hide:Should I get a DRW?:hide::whistling::rofl:

masterdrago
10-16-2019, 06:26 PM
1319. Any tire coming from Amazon will most likely come thru Simple tire. My tire had Simple tire as the shipper but Simple tire was higher priced so I went with Amazon but I bought my last 2 sets of Sailun's from Simple tire. What I've found. Stuff from AMZN gets to me from other places selling it at higher price. Rather often.