PDA

View Full Version : Tire pressure and rear air bag pressure

cscowgirl
06-25-2019, 06:06 AM
We are headed out for our first longer trip in our 2002 3670RL Monty. We have a 2012 F-350 Dually and just installed rear air lift air bags. Just wondering what it the best pressure to run in our front and rear tires as well as the air bags. Hubby is out of town working this week so I'm trying to get some suggestions before we leave next week. Thanks for your help.

Arkware
06-25-2019, 07:50 AM
I use the tire pressure(s) listed on the door sticker for a good baseline.
On my 2015 F350 dually it shows 65 lbs both front and rear.
I don't have airbags, so I don't have any suggestions for them.

jsb5717
06-25-2019, 08:11 AM
I run the pressure on my rear tires at their stated capacity to protect the side walls. Same with the trailer tires. I run the fronts a little lower for better steering.

Airbags are more of a subjective issue. They are used to gain a little lift and/or smooth the ride a bit. You will need to experiment with that. I run about 25lbs in mine. I don't need the lift but it does remove a bit of bounce. I've seen videos of others who run at a higher pressure and gain more lift.

When not in use you will still want to keep 8-10 lbs in the bags to save the seals.

PSFORD99
06-25-2019, 10:00 AM
As said if leveling then whatever it requires with the airbags. I adjust mine for ride, and have the onboard compressor, so if you have the onboard, and want to adjust just for ride then no big deal, I start with 35 lbs, and if I want to adjust on the fly I do.

Tires , I run max on front ,and rear when hooked up, for me thats 60 front ,and 80 back, thats what is on the door sticker . but that dually will be different.

When empty , I air down to 50 in the rear , and leave the front alone to improve the ride .

cscowgirl
06-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Thank you, I will pass the information along when he gets home.

jcurtis934
06-25-2019, 12:53 PM
My door sticker says 65 for front and 65 for rear duals to get rated carrying capacity. I never saw any wear issues on the factory installed tires and no wear issues on the michelin ltx ms tires now installed.

1retired06
06-25-2019, 02:22 PM
I run my air bags at 60PSI, brings the fiver up to perfect level.

jeffba
06-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Just to be safe measure the height of your Monty hitched up before adding air. you want to make sure your are not getting to be too tall.

Slufoot733
06-25-2019, 08:12 PM
The tires should be inflated to the pressure listed on your door sticker.
The air bags should be inflated only enough to keep the vehicle riding level. I have air bags on my 2016 F350 SRW and it only takes about 30 PSI to level the vehicle. My old truck had air bags and it took almost 50 PSI to level. I suggest you measure the height of the truck BEFORE you connect to the trailer. Then after you hitch up, measure again to see the difference. Then using a portable compressor add air until the truck reaches the proper height, as it was before you hitched up. That would be your normal riding level and should be just right for towing.
At least that's what I do. Good luck.

BuilderBob
06-25-2019, 09:09 PM
I run my tires at what it says on the door. I have factory air bags they adj as as I put the weight of the 5er on it I can over ride it but never have to.

Rod Spohn
07-01-2019, 08:16 AM
I would say use the pressure stated on the door jam if running stock tire or equivalent. But if you have upgraded your tires use the pressure stamped into the tire. When hooked up you probably want to go at or about at the max pressure to optimize the weight limits. Less when running unhitched for a better ride. As for the airbags, people use them for different reasons. Once your truck sits level add or subtract pressure to get a ride you like. Plus you can adjust for bad roads to further control bounce. My Truck I run 45 to 50 lbs.