PDA

View Full Version : Mail delivery

Stevhop
05-08-2019, 12:42 PM
I searched but could not find any discussion on where and how do you get your mail when you are on the road for months at a time.

daveinaz
05-08-2019, 01:14 PM
There are number of threads on this. Here are a few:

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2227012

richfaa
05-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Post office temp change of address form been doing it for years. Suggest you visit your local Post office and learn how to do it as it can be tricky.

Stevhop
05-08-2019, 02:55 PM
I know I can have them forward my mail....so I give them a list of the 20 or however many campgrounds, state and national parks that I will be staying at and the dates I HOPE to be at each location over the course of 2-3 months that I am on the road..and the mail will show up at each location?....cool.

Sounds like a Charlie Foxtrot waiting to happen.....

Carl n Susan
05-08-2019, 05:11 PM
I would not recommenced the USPS temporary change of address, especially if your moving every so often.

We tried it this winter for the first time. We normally hold the mail for 30 days (the max we are allowed here) and then when it is delivered, my sister picks it up and sends it to us. Meanwhile we reinstate the 30 day hold for the next go around.

This year we thought we would save my sister some legwork by using the temporary change of address. It took almost 3 weeks until the USPS finally got it all together. In the mean time, mail was delivered to our house, held at the post office and some delivered to my sister.

We use the USPS Informed Delivery app to see what is being delivered. That was pretty much useless (no images) most of the time.

Next time we will go back to the 30 day hold option.

DQDick
05-08-2019, 05:22 PM
We've used the Excapee mail service for the last 9 years with no issues at all.

mhs4771
05-08-2019, 05:59 PM
We've been using the GoodSam Mail Service for the last 7 years with no problems.

footz1941
05-08-2019, 08:41 PM
Nothing but good service fromAmericas Mail Box in Box Elder SD. SD is also a great place to register vehicles and no state income tax or vehicle inspection requirement

grass man
03-13-2020, 07:25 AM
My wife says these services are no different and no better than just giving the post office a forwarding address. What is she missing. Please tell me why we should use the services and pay. We are snowbirds for 3 months in the same park for the entire time.
Thanks,
Rob

1retired06
03-13-2020, 08:34 AM
Been using Alternative Resources, now called Dakota Post for the past 12 years, never an issue.

Dmcgrew
03-13-2020, 09:59 AM
We use Dakota Post and love their service. Never had a problem or issue with them,

rohrmann
03-13-2020, 03:17 PM
We've been using Americas Mailbox since 2012, and have had zero issues. They also offer vacation forwarding, with a three month minimum for a very reasonable rate. We use the Gold plan, which is a bit higher, but we authorize them to discard the junk mail, so that reduces the cost of forwarding. They have less expensive plans, but we also get packages sent there at times when we do not know when something will be sent or don't know where we will be when it might be delivered. https://americasmailbox.com/rates_and_plans/3/Gold

fatcatzzz
03-14-2020, 06:40 AM
We use Americas Mailbox. Great service.

grass man
03-14-2020, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies, we will be looking into these places.

mhs4771
03-14-2020, 05:51 PM
We went with the GS/PassPort America service in Crestview, Florida.
With the Daughter living in Florida we figured we would be coming to Florida enough and not have to make the trip to South Dakota.
Our Crestview address is out main address, all Credit Cards and Bank accounts use that address. It allows us to get our mail forwarded to any place that we'll be for a few days.

Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
03-14-2020, 06:45 PM
We move about once a week for 6 months of travel each year. We stay in a S&B the other 6. We use our home address while at home and have the post office forward to our Escapees mailbox the other 6. Escapees is located in Livingston TX near Houston. As soon as I arrive at a new RV park, I make sure how they want the mail package addressed and I call Escapees. They mail the next day and we get a large envelope with all our mail in a couple of days. I usually have them forward about once every two weeks unless we are waiting for something. Has worked great for two years.

piperterri
03-15-2020, 02:52 PM
My husband and I just finished a 3 month trip and we had a friend pick our mail up at our house mail box, put it all into a USPO box that you can get free at the post office. You pay for the cost of sending the mail when you actually mail. When the box was full we had her send it to us to a town where we would be staying for a few days in care of general delivery. It worked very well.

Daryles
01-03-2022, 07:08 AM
We just switched to Escapees mail service.
So far very happy with the change.