PDA

View Full Version : tires

Bill Turton
04-11-2019, 04:48 PM
I have a 2015 Montana 3611RL and have the Trailers King tires on it. I am getting concerned about the need to change to a different tire. What tires would everyone recommend ?

rohrmann
04-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Depending on your budget, either Sailun S637 or Goodyear G614. Both have plenty of capacity and are very reliable. The Sailuns are made in China, but are made in an ISO rated factory, not your typical "China Bombs". The Goodyears are made in the USA, and were the standard for heavy duty trailer tires until the Sailuns came along.

Carl n Susan
04-11-2019, 05:00 PM
What Bob said!

mlh
04-11-2019, 07:11 PM
You do need to change your tires before you have a blowout that does thousands of dollars damage to your camper.
What Bob said.
Both are great tires.
Lynwood

jeffba
04-12-2019, 06:30 AM
:iagree:

WeBeFulltime
04-12-2019, 07:02 AM
I also agree with the others and will add that I liked the Sailuns so well that I bought Sailun Terramax tires for my F350 SRW and they are doing great and the cost was only 2/3 of what I had been spending for truck tires.

Arkware
04-12-2019, 07:07 AM
We have the same rig that came with the same factory tires.
You don't want to wait. Replace your tires ASAP. ;) (experience talking here...)
We went with the Sailun S637 s.

Golfmedik
04-12-2019, 07:24 AM
I also agree with the others and will add that I liked the Sailuns so well that I bought Sailun Terramax tires for my F350 SRW and they are doing great and the cost was only 2/3 of what I had been spending for truck tires.

I saw Sailun Terramax tires on a fleet of AC service trucks here last week. All 5 trucks at the job site had them. Looks like they may be gaining popularity fro trucks as well as campers.

1retired06
04-12-2019, 07:29 AM
Excellent advice!

Sdgood1
04-12-2019, 08:01 PM
I put the Carlisle CSL 16. Not sure of longevity as we just put them on. Reviews on the computer were good?? Anybody else trying them?

prndl
04-12-2019, 10:21 PM
I put the Carlisle CSL 16. Not sure of longevity as we just put them on. Reviews on the computer were good?? Anybody else trying them?

After all the positives for Sailun I guess to each his own.

jeffba
04-13-2019, 05:45 AM
In a pinch on our SOB TT we put Carlisle on. They were fine. The Sailuns have better reviews and I am happy with Sailuns.

Roadtravelers
04-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Just installed S637 Sailuns on our 5er looks good waiting to pull it now

CalandLinda
04-13-2019, 11:40 AM
I have a 2015 Montana 3611RL and have the Trailers King tires on it. I am getting concerned about the need to change to a different tire. What tires would everyone recommend ?

You may be able to avoid having to buy new wheels by going up to a LRF tire. I'm almost certain you'll have to get new wheels with the LRG tires.

Both LRF & LRG replacements can be purchased in the same designated size as your OEM tires (ST235/80R16). Therefor, they would conform to the trailer's certification label and use the same load inflation chart as the OEM tires.

rohrmann
04-13-2019, 01:02 PM
Since at least 2012, the Montana has come with 110psi rated wheels. The HC I’m not sure of as they usually came with 6,000 lb axles. Our rig was purchased off the dealer lot and came with the Marathon bombs, but had the Goodyear G614 in the 85 size as an option, which I changed over to and run them at as close to 110 psi as I can.

dsttexas
04-17-2019, 01:43 PM
My 2015 292RK five'r is not that heavy, and I replaced originals with Goodyear Endurance LR E tires, and they are doing great running at 75-80 lbs. I haven't examined inside of my rims to see what they are rated for but would likely follow the crowd to Sailuns if wheels can handle 110 lbs and I felt needed extra weight capacity.

saber707
04-17-2019, 01:47 PM
My 2015 292RK five'r is not that heavy, and I replaced originals with Goodyear Endurance LR E tires, and they are doing great running at 75-80 lbs. I haven't examined inside of my rims to see what they are rated for but would likely follow the crowd to Sailuns if wheels can handle 110 lbs and I felt needed extra weight capacity.Just put them on my High Country. E rated however, also rated to 110 mph. Probably will not go that fast. Discount tire highly recommended them.

Sandra_David
04-17-2019, 03:39 PM
Saber707

E-Rated tires may work but remember the salesman at Discount Tire is still a salesman.
Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of tires there for all our vehicles but when it comes to the RV I won't buy anything less than the"G" rated tires. Had a blowout with the "E" rated tires on my previous SOB 5er. Discount Tire didn't pay my deductible.
I prefer to get better tires than required to be safer.
Cheers
Safe travels

2019 montana
04-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Change them out. What the others said. And get the bearing checked also.

saber707
04-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Saber707

E-Rated tires may work but remember the salesman at Discount Tire is still a salesman.
Don't get me wrong, I buy a lot of tires there for all our vehicles but when it comes to the RV I won't buy anything less than the"G" rated tires. Had a blowout with the "E" rated tires on my previous SOB 5er. Discount Tire didn't pay my deductible.
I prefer to get better tires than required to be safer.
Cheers
Safe travelsAgree somewhat but, not totally. A salesman yes but, one who is educated in tires and sees a lot of tires used on RVs and which ones work and which ones don't. He also said that, Discount is still evaluating but, has not yet decided to take on the Sailun line yet. Blowouts are going to occur on all makes, some not so much, others more. Have numerous friends with Montanas with E rated tires who have not experienced a blowout. You would think that Montana would put G rated tires on them if they thought they needed to.

Regards and be safe......

phillyg
04-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Your Trailer King tires have excelled since 2015, because they're reportedly one of the worst of the China bombs. I'd recommend Sailuns if your wheels are rated at 110psi.

saber707
04-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Your Trailer King tires have excelled since 2015, because they're reportedly one of the worst of the China bombs. I'd recommend Sailuns if your wheels are rated at 110psi.Had Trailer Kings on my HC since 2015 also. Discount said they were still in good shape but traded anyway.

laverdur
04-17-2019, 04:23 PM
What Bob said. I love my G614s.

Mark N.
04-17-2019, 07:09 PM
You do need to change your tires before you have a blowout that does thousands of dollars damage to your camper.
What Bob said.
Both are great tires.
Lynwood
4 years old isn't reason to hit the panic button yet.

tooth ferry
04-17-2019, 09:10 PM
All 4 of my Tow Max tires had to be replaced at less than 4000 miles. I bought Firestone LT tires because I was leaving that morning and that was all that was available . Since then I have pulled almost 60,000 miles with them and they still look great. There have been 2 that picked up nails but after correct patching no more problems. I will probably buy the same tires again.

Montana Man
04-17-2019, 10:14 PM
I wonder if the Sailuns and the Goodyears cost the same what the boards consensus would be.

rodw6rod
04-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Coming back from Quartzsite in January, I had a blowout on the right rear tire on the HC 293RK. It had the original Trailer Kings. $2500 worth of damage to the J-wrap behind and around the tire that blew. After much research and hand wringing I put on the Sailun S637. I am paying a lot more attention to the tires and tire pressure now!!

Eagleback
04-18-2019, 04:20 AM
We had trailer kings and now have sailuns. Not because of price but its a full commercial trailer tire.

phillyg
04-18-2019, 08:19 AM
I wonder if the Sailuns and the Goodyears cost the same what the boards consensus would be.

I chose to get Sailuns a couple of years ago based on their reputation, and because the GY Endurance did not then have a reputation. Today, I would still buy Sailuns over GY (at equal price) knowing some of GY's prior ST tires had problems.

Bill Turton
04-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Well I am still looking for tire advise.My tire guy says they do not make a goodyear G614 in a ST235/80r16 but they do make an 85 which is about a half inch taller.Does anyone see a problem with wheels etc.
Also he says he sells a brand called Cynergy ( may be Synergy ) tires in a g rated 14ply in the 235/80. Anyone know about these tires ?
I have heard a lot of people say they like the Saliuns but he sees those a lot coming off interstate with bad tires.That is what I was leaning to in the S637.

I am fed up with trying to figure it out.I have to do something with these Trailer Kings !

waynemoore
04-18-2019, 06:51 PM
First he is selling tires and the more expensive ones are more profitable. Have him take you out to the tire pile and show you some failed Sailun’s. I have been watching the Sailun’s for 7: years now and have only read about one failure. I just today had a set put on my 2015 8435RL because the Bridgestones timed out.

CalandLinda
04-18-2019, 11:06 PM
First he is selling tires and the more expensive ones are more profitable. Have him take you out to the tire pile and show you some failed Sailun’s. I have been watching the Sailun’s for 7: years now and have only read about one failure. I just today had a set put on my 2015 8435RL because the Bridgestones timed out.

What kind of Bridgestones did you have on those 7000# axles? Just curious.

Bill Turton
04-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Okay everyone. I have ordered a set of tires. I ordered the Sailun S637. I will have them on next week ! I hope they will be as good a tire as I think they will be. Thanks for everyones input on what to get the last few weeks.

waynemoore
04-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Sorry I don’t remember but they were to replace the Trail King that came with the rig.
The rig weighs a bit over 11000 pounds on the two rig axles so each one had to support a little over 2600 lbs.

CaptnJohn
04-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Agree somewhat but, not totally. A salesman yes but, one who is educated in tires and sees a lot of tires used on RVs and which ones work and which ones don't. He also said that, Discount is still evaluating but, has not yet decided to take on the Sailun line yet. Blowouts are going to occur on all makes, some not so much, others more. Have numerous friends with Montanas with E rated tires who have not experienced a blowout. You would think that Montana would put G rated tires on them if they thought they needed to.

Regards and be safe......

Montana arrive with Sailun S637 G rated tires. HC have been arriving with LR F since at least 2016 so why would anyone use an LR E?

CaptnJohn
04-29-2019, 09:42 PM
Your Trailer King tires have excelled since 2015, because they're reportedly one of the worst of the China bombs. I'd recommend Sailuns if your wheels are rated at 110psi.

If you check with the company they will give you a weight/psi chart beginning at 80 PSI so no real need for 110# wheels.

jeffba
04-30-2019, 09:48 AM
Montana arrive with Sailun S637 G rated tires. HC have been arriving with LR F since at least 2016 so why would anyone use an LR E?

2018 MHC had load range E Rainiers

CalandLinda
04-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Sorry I don’t remember but they were to replace the Trail King that came with the rig.
The rig weighs a bit over 11000 pounds on the two rig axles so each one had to support a little over 2600 lbs.

Oh, I see, you're not posting about the trailer in your signature?

waynemoore
04-30-2019, 05:13 PM
Oh, I see, you're not posting about the trailer in your signature?

LOL darn you are right. I never notice that. I will fix that ASAP:bow::facepalm:

rwc6114
04-30-2019, 06:18 PM
You all got me thinking about the tires we have on a our recently purchased 2017 Montana 3731FL. Went out to look and was surprised to see we already had Sailum tires on our rig!! I feel a lot more confident now about our upcoming trip(s) this summer. We are going to be putting about 5,000 miles on the rig this summer. Hopefully we won't have any problems.

Thanks for a great board! Love all the comments and suggestions!

Creeker
04-30-2019, 07:45 PM
2018 MHC had load range E Rainiers

All the '18 and '19 HC's we looked at before buying ours had LRF tires. Never saw the first one with LRE. We looked at many!

BuilderBob
04-30-2019, 08:12 PM
You all got me thinking about the tires we have on a our recently purchased 2017 Montana 3731FL. Went out to look and was surprised to see we already had Sailum tires on our rig!! I feel a lot more confident now about our upcoming trip(s) this summer. We are going to be putting about 5,000 miles on the rig this summer. Hopefully we won't have any problems.

Thanks for a great board! Love all the comments and suggestions! Make sure to keep the pressure checked! Do you have a TPMS? Be safe.

Bill M
05-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Every trip I check air pressures (110 psi for mine, rims are rated for it) & lug nut torque. You take care of tires they will take care of you, regardless where they are made.

rwc6114
05-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Working on getting a TPMS system! Thanks!

Theunz
05-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Every trip I check air pressures (110 psi for mine, rims are rated for it) & lug nut torque. You take care of tires they will take care of you, regardless where they are made.

Agree with checking air pressure, but strongly disagree with your statement referring to take care of your tires and they will take care of you, regardless of where they are made. Way to many reports of Chinese tires blowing out with low age and miles from people who claim that they carefully monitor their tires. In my own personal experience I had two Chinese tires on my boat trailer with less than 4 years of age and less than 2500 miles blow out on one 150 mile round trip. First one blew about 50 miles on the way to the lake and second one blew about 50 miles on the way home. Tires were checked before we left home and before we left the lake. Coincidentally this was the first time my wife had ever towed anything by herself!

CaptnJohn
05-02-2019, 11:40 AM
Agree with checking air pressure, but strongly disagree with your statement referring to take care of your tires and they will take care of you, regardless of where they are made. Way to many reports of Chinese tires blowing out with low age and miles from people who claim that they carefully monitor their tires. In my own personal experience I had two Chinese tires on my boat trailer with less than 4 years of age and less than 2500 miles blow out on one 150 mile round trip. First one blew about 50 miles on the way to the lake and second one blew about 50 miles on the way home. Tires were checked before we left home and before we left the lake. Coincidentally this was the first time my wife had ever towed anything by herself!

Well, Sailun has the best rep of any and all trailer tires and made in China.... blanket statements are rarely 100% correc t.

Theunz
05-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Right, there is an exception to every rule. In fact I run Sailuns on my trailer. I think that anybody who has been active on this fourm for any time at all is aware of Sailuns excellent reputation. Bill M's post leads you to believe that any tire is fine as long as you take care of it. That's simply not true! I did not make a blanket statement, I didn't say all Chinese tires, I just said lots of well maintained Chinese tires have failed.

wed
05-02-2019, 03:33 PM
We have had 5 Montana it’s has been great with no blow outs since we replaced with the Sailuns. It is a great value! The Goodyear 614 is a very good tire but the cost is 3 times the cost.