PDA

View Full Version : Actual stories of TPM systems

imolared
04-04-2019, 08:27 PM
I have been reading the threads the tire pressure monitoring systems.

Please share your experiences good and bad as a result of the system.

Were you warned in a timely manner to correct the issue?

Was there a tire issue without warning?

Did the system indicate warning but there was no issue?

twindman
04-04-2019, 08:33 PM
I was pulling onto the I10 near Las Cruces NM. I just reached speed of about 60mph and the alarm went off. I looked at it to see how low it was and when I looked up I just passed an exit!!! Pulled off on the top of an overpass with about 18 inches to the guard rail and 18 inches to the white sideline on the road. It was 45 psi when I looked, it was 25 by the time I stopped. It was not resting on the rim at first but by the time I put up my flashers about 50 yards back, the rim was resting on the ground.
Turns out I had a big screw in the tire. Because I got stopped so fast there was no damage and the tire was able to be plugged/patched. I was due for new tires anyway, so I chose to drive it home (400 miles) on the fixed tire. Got home fine. But I am pretty sure without the TPMS I would have ruined the tire at the very least and probably some trailer parts if the tire shredded.
Wouldn't be without.

McIver
04-04-2019, 09:04 PM
I have had exactly the same experience as twindman 4 times in 10 years of RVing. A flat tire is a whole lot better than a shredded tire that throws road lizards into the bottom of your rig. Bottom line get one NOW.

rohrmann
04-04-2019, 09:39 PM
We were heading south on Hwy 93, north of Wickenburg, AZ last year on Easter Sunday, and got the alarm on the left rear tire. We finally found a spot to pull over with about 60 psi still in the tire. Turned out, the bolt in metal stem, with the nuts inside, had come loose and was leaking. I was able to change to the spare, and got a new stem installed the next day, all with no damage to the tire. That was at least a $400 save on a G614. TST 507 flow through.

BB_TX
04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Have never had a tire go low. But there is certainly comfort in being able to monitor tire pressures during those 2-3 hour drives between stops.

richfaa
04-05-2019, 08:13 AM
TST on this 13 3402 and Pressure pro on the 06 3400. No negative experience.I can remember 3 incidents since 2006 were the system indicated a RV tire losing pressure and gave us time to get into a safe place a change the tire. It will not of course warn you of a blowout. That is a sudden failure. Considering the damage a failed tire can do the systems are a good buy.

timandsusan
04-06-2019, 06:52 AM
In 2007, we were leaving Hyder, Alaska from the Run-A-Muck RV park, the TPMS sounded because of low pressure in a tire. I pulled into a convenient open parking spot, mhooked up my AC powered air compressor and filled up all the tires.
Another story, in 2017, we bought new tires for the passenger side of the Monty in Durango, Colorado. We were headed to Green River, Utah--a drive we make annually. There are only a few towns after you leave Cortez, Co. About 4 miles east of Dove Creek, CO, the tire monitor on one of the new tires sounded off. We made it to a nice open parking spot in Dove Creek and found a screw in the center of one of the new tires. I called my roadside service--Coach Net--from Cortez. The driver arrived in about an hour, we enjoyed the cool weather, got the tire repaired and headed on to Green River, Utah. Never leave home in the RV without TPMS--we have a Pressure Pro. Several other tire events between 2007 and 2017 also occurred.

jeffba
04-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Okay when we were running without them. We would have a blowout. When we have them we have not. luck I guess. it is also much easier to check your pressure and know you are good to go when you have them. That may be why when we have them we do not get a blow out.

richfaa
04-06-2019, 07:48 AM
True they can not warn of a blow out which is a sudden and catastrophic failure .it is boom and flat. Most blowouts are caused by a slow loss of psi not detected tiil the tire comes off the rim and destructs causing damage to the truck and RV. We saw that happen right in front of us a couple of years ago on the interstate smoke from the right rear tire as the vehicle passed us the tire then disintegrated and tire and parts flew everywhere an large chuck of tire hitting the lower right side of our truck windshield.That incident could have been prevented with a TMPS.

Carried Away
04-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Husband was driving rig into Albuquerque (I was driving separately)....he was on I-40 when the temperature sensor indicated that the right front tire on tow vehicle was at 170 degrees. He managed to pull off on the next exit right away....upon stopping, thinking that there might be a fire, he jumped out with a fire extinguisher. However, no fire, just a warm tire. But when he tried to touch the hub, it was extremely HOT. So he dropped the rig and limped slowly with the truck to the nearest Ford dealership. Upon inspection of the tire, it turned out to be a stuck caliper. Technician said that at some point, the heat could have ignited grease, spread to engine and depending on how fast the rig could have been unhooked, it could have destroyed the rig. So YES, we will always have a TPMS system..IT IS ESSENTIAL.

DQDick
04-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Had a Goodyear 614 blow without warning on I-10 north of Tucson. When the tire came apart it split the TST on the tire behind it and both tires were toast before I could get off the road. So no warning and having one on the rear tire cost me another tire. That said I still use them and wouldn't feel comfortable without them.

cgeis48
04-10-2019, 02:47 PM
OK - your experiences convinced me to get one. Is there a consensus on which TPMS system is best?

goodellj
04-10-2019, 03:33 PM
I have had a TST 510 system with sensors on all 4 trailer and all 4 truck tires for 7 years. I think it has ultimately saved me a lot of money. When you have a leaky tire, you will not have a "blowout" and if there is trailer damage it is not from any explosion. The damage is from not realizing from the drivers seat that there is a problem with one of the trailer tires and then you drive along oblivious until you drive the belts right off the sidewalls, and when the sidewalls finally disintegrate the tread and belts slap the trailer and cause body damage. My TPMS has given me a low pressure warning several times and each time I was able to change the tire before there was any damage. Once I had a tire slashed on an Interstate highway with immediate loss of pressure. Several other times I saw a small loss of pressure over a few days and when I inspected the tire I found a bulge on the sidewall or a bald spot on the tire each time, which is a sign of a broken belt and imminent tire failure.

I have never had a problem with the truck tires, so including them in the TPMS may not be worth the extra expense. Besides, if there is a problem with a truck tire you will feel it right away, unlike the trailer tires.

McIver
04-10-2019, 04:44 PM
I was checking into an RV park and another camper drove in. I had to walk around the passenger side of his tow vehicle to get back to mine. One of his rt rear tires was totally shredded...to the rim. As he was getting out of his tow vehicle to check in he saw me and heard me say, “Wow”. That got his attention and he joined me on that side of his rig. He was more shocked than me. He had no idea that a tire was destroyed......a TPMS purchase was in his future from that day on.

yatyas81
04-10-2019, 04:55 PM
I put them on my previous fiver (Avalanche 345TG) after two blowouts that did a combined $6k in damage. I'm transferring the sensors to the Montana before I take it out for the first time this weekend. I also have sensors on our F450. I went a little further and put an air compressor under the truck and a quick connect under the front passenger door. I've used it several times when it was difficult to get to an air pump that will handle the pressure I needed.

BB_TX
04-11-2019, 07:32 AM
OK - your experiences convinced me to get one. Is there a consensus on which TPMS system is best?
I think there are more of us TST 507 owners than other brands. But others have been satisfied with some of the other brands also. Best? Don't know there is a good answer for that.

jeffba
04-11-2019, 10:08 AM
I have the Ford OEM Trailer TPMS. I have had TireMnder. If the Ford OEM system was not an option I would go with TST.

PSFORD99
04-11-2019, 10:59 AM
As some of you know, I posted on this forum last month of a tire failure. To the best of my knowledge ,and a Sailun rep, one of two things happened with that tire. I was on highway 93 20 miles outside Kingman, Az. The road to say the least is terrible. I either caught a pothole just right, and cut the sidewall, or I picked up something in the sidewall, and lost tire pressure, nothing in the tread was visible, the tread was still completely intact, and no damage.

After further inspection of the tire behind it, there is some slight damage to the outer tread, nothing that would compromise it . It now has just over 1600 miles on it without a problem . But before our next trip it will be replaced ,and made a spare, it did run for a ways with all the weight on it, I don't feel good about it in the long run .

When I noticed in the mirror, the front tire drivers side on the fifth wheel was smoking, and starting to come apart. If I hadn't noticed when I did, things would of have gotten a lot worse. It was definitely not a blowout. No damage to fifth wheel or the rim. I will never know for sure if it was a sudden loss of air ,or a slower leak that a TPMS would have warned me, never the less I will be getting a TPMS.

PSFORD99
04-11-2019, 11:04 AM
I have the Ford OEM Trailer TPMS. I have had TireMnder. If the Ford OEM system was not an option I would go with TST.

The 3500 Rams if I go the screen, I can see the tire pressure in each tire, but there is no warning , so I would have to be on that screen, and notice a tire getting low on the truck.

You are saying the Ford trucks come with a TPMS that monitors the trailer tires ???. The monitors come with the truck to add to the tires on the fifth wheel ???

jeffba
04-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Yes since 2017 Ford has an OEM TPMS and trailer backup camera ties the their Ultimate trailer tow package. From now on the UTTP is a have to have option. The camera/TPMS is a wired system so a bit of work and is extra. As part of the installation you set the desired tire pressure. It will alert you if the pressure drops.

I like it because less clutter on the dash. No monitor to make sure it is charged.

It does not read temperature is the only thing missing.

davemitchell59
04-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Has anyone used/tried a Bluetooth TPMS with an Android app?

PSFORD99
04-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Yes since 2017 Ford has an OEM TPMS and trailer backup camera ties the their Ultimate trailer tow package. From now on the UTTP is a have to have option. The camera/TPMS is a wired system so a bit of work and is extra. As part of the installation you set the desired tire pressure. It will alert you if the pressure drops.

I like it because less clutter on the dash. No monitor to make sure it is charged.

It does not read temperature is the only thing missing.

Thanks, sounds like Ram needs to catch up :hide: They may have it now, but I am not aware of it . Sounds like a nice option .

Jollymon
04-12-2019, 04:22 AM
Good morning! How much are y'all paying for these systems? I've seen everywhere between $75 and $600. Any particular make/model is recommended or that I should stay away from? Growing pains. :)

Thanks!

Dan

goodellj
04-12-2019, 04:49 AM
These systems are not cheap. Seven years ago I paid about $350 for a TST 510 system with 8 sensors. Since then I have replaced several sensors when their batteries failed which has cost $30 to $50 each (I remove the sensors from the tires when not in use which shuts them off and saves the batteries). I have also added a repeater in the 5'er.

You will see many much cheaper systems now on Amazon. I wonder about how reliable and durable they are. I recommend a system with replaceable batteries in the sensors and a dedicated display for your dashboard (which I guess could be your cell phone if it is mounted and displays the TPMS data continuously).

Golfmedik
04-12-2019, 07:11 AM
Had a Goodyear 614 blow without warning on I-10 north of Tucson. When the tire came apart it split the TST on the tire behind it and both tires were toast before I could get off the road. So no warning and having one on the rear tire cost me another tire. That said I still use them and wouldn't feel comfortable without them.

Most know the story of my G614 blowout without warning, but still got an immediate response from the TST system. I carry two spares for the exact reason you mention. Still would not tow without a TPMS.

BB_TX
04-12-2019, 07:53 AM
Good morning! How much are y'all paying for these systems? I've seen everywhere between $75 and $600. Any particular make/model is recommended or that I should stay away from? Growing pains. ...
CW is currently advertising the TST 507 for under $200. The price is generally $300 or more. And the 507 does have user replaceable batteries unlike the 510.

Petmoose
04-12-2019, 08:38 AM
Bought Tire Minder at National Rally 2 years ago. Had blowout on trailer last year. No warning, no notice, no alarm nothing ! Over $5,000 damaged to the Montana. Talked to Tire Minder company and their comment was, “sometimes that happens”, my question was with that then “what good is the system to me ?”, their none answer was very disappointing.

jeffba
04-12-2019, 11:09 AM
There is what is called Polling of the sensors. What each manufacturer is I do not know. The correct answer is if a fast catastrophic failure of the tire (blowout) happens when the sensor is not being polled, there will not be an indication.

What you are looking for is for ones with the shortest polling time. That may wear down batteries sooner than some people would like.

I really doubt if you find one that is truly continuous

PSFORD99
04-12-2019, 11:54 AM
CW is currently advertising the TST 507 for under $200. The price is generally $300 or more. And the 507 does have user replaceable batteries unlike the 510.

Thanks for the info, on order as we speak. Comes with the color monitor, non flow thru sensors, which I want. I like the idea of being able to change the batteries, although the 510 last 5 years ,but you have to send them back to get replaced for a cost of 19.95. Seems like a no brainer to get the 507.

PSFORD99
04-12-2019, 12:03 PM
There is what is called Polling of the sensors. What each manufacturer is I do not know. The correct answer is if a fast catastrophic failure of the tire (blowout) happens when the sensor is not being polled, there will not be an indication.

What you are looking for is for ones with the shortest polling time. That may wear down batteries sooner than some people would like.

I really doubt if you find one that is truly continuous

From everything I have heard there is no doubt when you have a blowout, can't see why you would care much at that point if your TPMS sounds off or not, you have had your warning just by the sound :eek:

In my case when I lost that Sailun, I knew when I looked in my mirror, hard telling when I would have become aware until then.

PSFORD99
04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Bought Tire Minder at National Rally 2 years ago. Had blowout on trailer last year. No warning, no notice, no alarm nothing ! Over $5,000 damaged to the Montana. Talked to Tire Minder company and their comment was, “sometimes that happens”, my question was with that then “what good is the system to me ?”, their none answer was very disappointing.

Not sure what difference it makes at that point, unless you didn't hear the blowout ???. Damage is done. The big question did that tire get low on pressure then blew, or did it just blow at full pressure, in that case can't fault the TPMS . If it lost some pressure then blew without warning from the TPMS ,then sure you have a complaint.

Does the Tire Minder detect excessive heat also ??.

jeffba
04-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Tire Minder monitors Temperature

PSFORD99
04-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Tire Minder monitors Temperature

It is sounding more ,and more like TST is the way to go . It also monitors temp.

I would sure hate to have one heat up ,and then blow. I have to guess with a sudden blowout, there has to be some excessive heat involved , and TPMS should be telling you that, is their a warning beep or whatever with both air ,and heat on these systems ?

jeffba
04-12-2019, 07:17 PM
For Tire minder it was a tone and flashing LED

davemitchell59
04-12-2019, 08:21 PM
A friend sent me this link to an article on TPMS systems today. It seems relevant to this discussion. Obviously just one person's opinion, but it does list a few pros and cons of systems being discussed in this tread.

https://weekendrvadventures.com/best-rv-tpms/

Dave W
04-13-2019, 06:35 AM
Yep, the TST TPMS 507 Flow Through system works, Saved a tire on our last and SOB when a valve failed - tire installer used cheap rubber valves instead of the required metal valves. That got into my wallet to change the valves out

Question to add to this discussion. Do you use the TST repeater (assuming you are using that brand)? I have had some inconsistant readouts from the rear, curbside tire. If you use that repeater, where did you mount it? In the 5ers front basement, using that 12V 'cigar lighter'plug or your truck. I'm running out of truck mounted receptacles.

goodellj
04-13-2019, 06:49 AM
I wired mine into the front storage in the 5th wheel. TST has a simple set of instructions for clamping it to the battery, which I found unacceptable. I screwed it to the bulkhead wall (wood) and wired it permanently into the power supply for a nearby interior storage light, with an in-line on-off switch and fuse. I would not put it in the truck. Although the repeater has better antennae than the receiver, it just seems like better sense to mount it about half way between the receiver and the 5th wheel sensors .

Dave W
04-13-2019, 07:36 AM
I wired mine into the front storage in the 5th wheel. TST has a simple set of instructions for clamping it to the battery, which I found unacceptable. I screwed it to the bulkhead wall (wood) and wired it permanently into the power supply for a nearby interior storage light, with an in-line on-off switch and fuse. I would not put it in the truck. Although the repeater has better antennae than the receiver, it just seems like better sense to mount it about half way between the receiver and the 5th wheel sensors .

Sounds like a plan to me as that is where I thought would be a good place for installation. There are a couple 12VDC lights easily accessed too. Thanks

jeffba
04-13-2019, 07:51 AM
My Pick up sensor for mine is mounted in the propane compartment. I think you will be fine mounting the repeater in the front compartment

PSFORD99
04-13-2019, 09:33 AM
A friend sent me this link to an article on TPMS systems today. It seems relevant to this discussion. Obviously just one person's opinion, but it does list a few pros and cons of systems being discussed in this tread.

https://weekendrvadventures.com/best-rv-tpms/

Thanks for the link. It appears the TST 507 is his top pick. The two cons were hard to read in the sunlight, and high price. Camping world with the under $200 offer for the four sensor setup on the 507 certainly made it more affordable .

fgfritz@msn.com
04-13-2019, 11:51 AM
Great RV Products
Has a package of 12 on sale for $634.00. Can mix full flow with non flow and comes with a repeater, color monitor, and mount. These are the TST507 with free shipping.
(855)367-4787 Chris said he can put together different packages. These are pressure and temperature monitoring. Have the metal valve stems installed if you go with any brand of the non flow thru.

Francis and Linda Fritz
2016 Monty 3582 RL
2009 Freightliner M2106

bigred715
04-13-2019, 02:47 PM
We also have the TST system for the trailer only and mounted the repeater in the front clothes closet and wired it into the dome light. Bought the TST system in 2010 for $269. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Golfmedik
04-14-2019, 01:34 PM
Yes, I use the repeater. I had mine when the repeaters didn't come with the setup. I would constantly drop the right rear tire of the rig when in rain or wide-open interstates even though I had the extended range antenna. I talked with the owners of TST as they are about 30 minutes from me, and I bought the repeater. I installed it in the front compartment, hooked directly to the battery and it made a world of difference. I haven't lost connection with the tires since and my batteries are now working right at a year before I change them.

Petmoose
04-14-2019, 03:31 PM
Just to clarify my earlier post on this, the system was working and it showed temp and pressure. I did not hear nor feel the blowout, first time ever that happened, but had a passing car point back to the trailer. It was on the front passenger side tire. I check pressure on every tire with a hand gauge before we leave every time and match it to the system to validate the readings. I still do not understand why there was no warning before the blowout nor after. When I contacted the company their comment was, “ oh sometimes that happens” and later in the conversation when I asked why didn’t I get a warning that the sensor was gone and their answer was “ oh it may take 15 or so minutes before that warning would come”. Now what good is that late of a warning if something catastrophic happens ? How can you trust a system that operates like that?

Butch & Kathy
04-14-2019, 03:45 PM
They work if you pay attention to them :nonono:. I was 40 miles from home headed on a vacation, had not replaced the China bombs yet. TPMS reading on one tire started increasing in temperature and pressure, kept monitoring it, kept increasing. “I’ll just stop at the next rest area to check it”.... KABOOM.... $3K damage. :facepalm: I will never wait for a rest area again.

Petmoose
04-14-2019, 08:31 PM
Well you are correct, however they are suppose to alarm/warn you when temp or pressure is rising and if they don’t do that then that is a problem and causes what happened to me. My frustration is the response I got from the company that is is no big deal and “sometimes happens”. Seems a little cavalier to me.

Butch & Kathy
04-15-2019, 04:58 AM
I have an EEZTire system I bought several years ago that polls each monitor every 6 seconds. Uses a set of batteries in a year but does work great. Immediate alarm AFTER my blowout.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009BEF1WS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

timandsusan
04-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Next step after changing the tire-tightening the lug nuts on aluminum rims. Hope everyone follows the recommended steps. For my Monty, initial tighten to 120 ft-lbs, drive 10-15 miles, check lug nuts and retighten to 120 Ft-lbs, drive 20-30 miles, same procedure, drive 50 miles, final check--the lug nuts have seated and they are at 120 ft-lbs. Drive with not much concern about lug nuts. But I will recheck at our next overnight.

PSFORD99
04-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Great RV Products
Has a package of 12 on sale for $634.00. Can mix full flow with non flow and comes with a repeater, color monitor, and mount. These are the TST507 with free shipping.
(855)367-4787 Chris said he can put together different packages. These are pressure and temperature monitoring. Have the metal valve stems installed if you go with any brand of the non flow thru.

Francis and Linda Fritz
2016 Monty 3582 RL
2009 Freightliner M2106

If I were going to get TST 507, and needing "12" sensors , I would get them from Camping world. The 507 with 6 sensors for $221.11 , and three 2 packs of sensors for $56.47 ea. = $169.41. Total $390.52 for A TST 507 with 12 sensors, color monitor repeater , and free shipping. The TST 507 with four sensors are also on sale for $182.22 free shipping. Not sure how long the sale will be, but heck of a price. Still on sale as of this morning .

PSFORD99
04-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Well you are correct, however they are suppose to alarm/warn you when temp or pressure is rising and if they don’t do that then that is a problem and causes what happened to me. My frustration is the response I got from the company that is is no big deal and “sometimes happens”. Seems a little cavalier to me.

Might be time to look into a different system, that one seemed to fail .