PDA

View Full Version : Sailun Tire Failure

PSFORD99
02-25-2019, 10:22 AM
I know, hard to believe . Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16. They are 2years old, not a terrible amount of miles 4-5K.

Lost the front tire drivers side, when I looked back in the mirror for an instant I thought it was a bearing. Then I could see that it was the tire. It was smoking so bad I thought it was on fire.

I neither felt or heard anything. I just don't believe it blew out , although it had a long jagged hole, about a foot or so long on the sidewall just below the tread. I am far from an expert, but I am thinking the hole was from running with no air ,and the tire was starting to come apart.

Couldn't find anything in the tread itself, hole ,nail, whatever. Tread was completely intact ,no damage or separation.

Not a scratch on the fifth wheel, nor any damage to the wheel, couldn't have gone far, eventually I would think it would have really started to come apart. I was running at 65 mph .

The tires were inflated to 100 psi. The tire rated at 4400 Lbs at 110 psi , was no where near its capacity. Fifth wheel weighed , partially loaded 12,740, and 2420 on the pin.

I was able to get pulled off the road, I was 20 miles outside Kingman, Az. Located a new Sailun tire from Big O in Kingman, great price 155.99 , plus the taxes , mounting ,and balancing. Decided not to change to the spare, 11 years old. I know , my bad.

Dropped the spare in case my wheel was damaged , unhooked the fifth wheel , removed the tire . Loaded in truck ,and headed to Kingman. After all that made it to Yuma yesterday. Will buy other new one here in Yuma. I want to replace the one behind the failed one. Although I did run it 200 miles to Yuma, I feel its been compromised a bit. I will make it the spare, and throw away that 11 year old spare .

WeBeFulltime
02-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Well, just like the Crimson Tide was bound to lose sooner or later a Sailun was/is bound to fail sooner or later. I'm certainly not an expert but based on what I read it also COULD HAVE BEEN road hazard, etc. When a tire has been destroyed it is hard to tell.

PSFORD99
02-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Well, just like the Crimson Tide was bound to lose sooner or later a Sailun was/is bound to fail sooner or later. I'm certainly not an expert but based on what I read it also COULD HAVE BEEN road hazard, etc. When a tire has been destroyed it is hard to tell.

The road I was on was terrible, lot of pot holes, but mostly the the other side to the tire. Really no clue. I am pretty observant to anything in the road, and try to avoid.

It would be nice to know, but all is well. Still have faith in the quality of the Sailun tire .

jeffba
02-25-2019, 11:15 AM
Well there you have it Sailuns are JACB.:popcorn::hornets:

JK I am still a fan of them also
Thanks for the report.

ChuckS
02-25-2019, 11:26 AM
Wonder if sidewall took a hit and got cut on a pothole...Imlike the fact the tire more or less held together till you stopped without doing any damage to the rig..

Montana Man
02-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Careful, saying bad about Sailuns may get you kicked off the board :hide:

AZ Traveler
02-25-2019, 01:24 PM
Were you using a TPMS or did you see it visually first?

PSFORD99
02-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Wonder if sidewall took a hit and got cut on a pothole...Imlike the fact the tire more or less held together till you stopped without doing any damage to the rig..

The quality of the tire if you will, saved the day, if that makes sense . It definitely has a lot of steel belting. I am sure that had a lot to do with staying together .

I just don't know, but as I said before, I'm thinking it was in the process of starting to come apart, and that opening was the start of it. I will post a picture in awhile of the tire.

PSFORD99
02-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Were you using a TPMS or did you see it visually first?

No, but I have to think that if I had TPMS, this possibly would not have happened. I look in my mirrors a lot, so this didn't go on long at 65 mph.

I can guess all day, but I am pretty sure hearing about blowouts, this is not what happened, which TPMS probably would of been no help.

One of two things IMO happened . One a slow lose of air until flat, and heated up , and started coming apart. Two sudden lose of air from a road hazard, and started coming apart. TPMS would of surely save the tire from a slow loss of air.

I have known for awhile , I had an old spare , lesson learned there, when this happened did not feel comfortable with it, that won't happen again.

WeBeFulltime
02-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Careful, saying bad about Sailuns may get you kicked off the board :hide:

I liked mine so well I put some on my truck too and am also very happy with them!

PSFORD99
02-25-2019, 05:13 PM
I liked mine so well I put some on my truck too and am also very happy with them!

I have no problem with the Sailun, it too will be my next truck tire .

richfaa
02-26-2019, 08:25 AM
It is a tire tires fail end of story.

PSFORD99
02-26-2019, 09:12 AM
It is a tire tires fail end of story.

I agree ,although it would be nice to know what happened, but its not going to happen .

I can say I am 71 years old, and its my first tire failure or flat tire on the highway, have discovered a screw or nail in a tire, and it was getting low, and was repaired, but never been on the side of the road .Not something I want to repeat .

Been lucky, but also been aware of things to do to try and prevent these things. I will continue to do what I do, and go from there

richfaa
02-26-2019, 01:26 PM
We changed out our Missions 0n our 06 3400 before they had a chance to fail been using the G614s since with not a problem.

Golfmedik
02-26-2019, 05:05 PM
We changed out our Missions 0n our 06 3400 before they had a chance to fail been using the G614s since with not a problem.

I had a GY 614 failure last winter with a hole blown in the side. All tires can fail at any time. Just a fact. I will probably not be going with GY when I replace mine. They will be Sailun or the American made in Findlay, OH Hercule if they establish a track record. They are still new at the moment though.

suny07
02-26-2019, 05:11 PM
https://imgfast.net/users/1216/11/34/74/smiles/319218437.gif

Golfmedik
02-26-2019, 07:46 PM
https://imgfast.net/users/1216/11/34/74/smiles/319218437.gif

Here are the pics of my blowout. No warning with the TPMS and a State Trooper directly behind me running 45-50mph and BOOM!!!! Neither I, nor the trooper saw anything that I hit in the road.

PSFORD99
02-26-2019, 08:27 PM
https://i.imgur.com/cazViYal.jpg

Here it is.

PSFORD99
02-26-2019, 08:32 PM
I had a GY 614 failure last winter with a hole blown in the side. All tires can fail at any time. Just a fact. I will probably not be going with GY when I replace mine. They will be Sailun or the American made in Findlay, OH Hercule if they establish a track record. They are still new at the moment though.

Yours looks a little better then mine, but end results the same :)

When I called around , a couple tire dealers were pushing the Hercule, until I got a hold of Big O , and got another Sailun .

suny07
02-26-2019, 08:38 PM
holy s... campers nightmare.
Thank God you guys could catch the rigs.

Its unbelievable that this is still happening in 21 century.

Lucky23
02-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Just out of curiosity by any chance have either of you ever bump a curb when turning in tight areas sometimes you'll break the sidewall in between layers which weakens and over time will cause the blowout from the heat created from driving.

PSFORD99
02-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Just out of curiosity by any chance have either of you ever bump a curb when turning in tight areas sometimes you'll break the sidewall in between layers which weakens and over time will cause the blowout from the heat created from driving.

I posted on another forum also, to my knowledge no curbs, pretty careful there. Mine is a 38 foot fifth wheel, and always aware of my turning. There is always that chance , but if had I was not aware

prndl
02-26-2019, 09:35 PM
Gun shot!

Golfmedik
02-27-2019, 03:45 AM

If the tire had been on the curb side of the rig, I'd be much more inclined to agree, but it was the off-door side which would make it almost impossible. I inspect the tires every three weeks before our trips and saw nothing out of the ordinary and didn't see anything on the interstate in the miles prior to getting off of it that I could've hit. I was not running fast and on a two lane road when it let go. The BOOM scared the trooper behind me more than it did me I believe. He saw nothing I ran over either, however the second the BOOM was heard the TST TPMS system I have went nuts!!! I would have immediately known what had happened if I hadn't heard it or seen the smoke from the tire in the driver's mirror.
Blowouts with these G rated tires are rare, no matter what the brand. I've followed several RV forums for years since they've been introduce to the rigs and have seen very few of them. Totally unlike these rigs with E rated tires. Although I do have to say that with the introduction of the GY Endurance, there have been less blowouts with them. Keep in mind though that the newer Montana rigs are too heavy to comfortably run E rated tires due to the weight of these things. As I stated, when the G14s are used up on mine I will either go with Sailun S637s strictly due to price of the 614s now as they have more than doubled in the 9 years I've been using them on various rigs. One thing I've thought about as well, for the price of the GYs, I can buy new 17.5" wheels and upgrade to the Sailun H rated 215'75/17.5 for just under the price of all new 614s.
Here is a comparison between the GY G614 235/85/16 vs the Sailun S637 215/75/17.5

richfaa
02-27-2019, 11:36 AM
primary reasons for tire failure are over inflation, under inflation and exceeding the weight rating of the tire.

PSFORD99
02-27-2019, 11:46 AM
If the tire had been on the curb side of the rig, I'd be much more inclined to agree, but it was the off-door side which would make it almost impossible. I inspect the tires every three weeks before our trips and saw nothing out of the ordinary and didn't see anything on the interstate in the miles prior to getting off of it that I could've hit. I was not running fast and on a two lane road when it let go. The BOOM scared the trooper behind me more than it did me I believe. He saw nothing I ran over either, however the second the BOOM was heard the TST TPMS system I have went nuts!!! I would have immediately known what had happened if I hadn't heard it or seen the smoke from the tire in the driver's mirror.
Blowouts with these G rated tires are rare, no matter what the brand. I've followed several RV forums for years since they've been introduce to the rigs and have seen very few of them. Totally unlike these rigs with E rated tires. Although I do have to say that with the introduction of the GY Endurance, there have been less blowouts with them. Keep in mind though that the newer Montana rigs are too heavy to comfortably run E rated tires due to the weight of these things. As I stated, when the G14s are used up on mine I will either go with Sailun S637s strictly due to price of the 614s now as they have more than doubled in the 9 years I've been using them on various rigs. One thing I've thought about as well, for the price of the GYs, I can buy new 17.5" wheels and upgrade to the Sailun H rated 215'75/17.5 for just under the price of all new 614s.
Here is a comparison between the GY G614 235/85/16 vs the Sailun S637 215/75/17.5

Same here drivers side front tire, pretty unlikely any curb damage . But unlike you I am more sure then ever, after hearing about your blowout, mine WAS NOT a blowout. Pretty sure I am a victim of a road hazard . My wife has great hearing, and she would have definitely heard it if I didn't, no radio blaring or anything, no there was no blowout.

Back to your weight rating ,and tires. Your G614 is 3750, my Sailun is 4400, big difference. I am sure those 17.5's will work, it appears thats what you are going to ??? .

My GVWR is 15,500, I am thinking yours is 16,000-16,500 and 7K axles ??. You are getting 405 lbs more rating on those 17.5's compared to the 16" Sailun 235/85/16. Not a lot, compared to going from the 16" goodyear to the 16" Sailun with a 650 weight rating gain.

Texan
02-27-2019, 01:05 PM
While we are talking about the difference in GY and Sailun tires let's don't forget the wheels are rated at 3750# no matter whether you use GY, Sailun, or 17.7'' tires.

PSFORD99
02-27-2019, 02:20 PM
While we are talking about the difference in GY and Sailun tires let's don't forget the wheels are rated at 3750# no matter whether you use GY, Sailun, or 17.7'' tires.

If he goes to 17.5 ,that Sailun S637 215/75/17.5 has a 4805 lb rating, he would also go new wheels, he would have too, would they not have the rating to match the tire ,and the 125 psi ???

Golfmedik
02-27-2019, 02:30 PM
If he goes to 17.5 ,that Sailun S637 215/75/17.5 has a 4805 lb rating, he would also go new wheels, he would have too, would they not have the rating to match the tire ,and the 125 psi ???

You are correct. That's the plan, IF I don't put 8k axles under it when I do the disc brake conversion like I would like to in the spring.

PSFORD99
02-27-2019, 02:43 PM
You are correct. That's the plan, IF I don't put 8k axles under it when I do the disc brake conversion like I would like to in the spring.

You will certainly be covered, early on with my 2008 I was going to go to all that ,but never did.

Texan
02-27-2019, 03:39 PM

Yes, the 17.5x6.75 wheel is rated at 4850#. The most I have seen on 16'' wheels is the 3750#. I had 2 of the factory 3750# wheels get a hairline crack in them. I replaced 1 and when the other happened I bought a new set of 16'' Hi-Spec wheels. They look stronger as they don't have spokes which seems to be where the weakness is in the factory wheels. The wheels are still 3750#. I run Sailun 235x85x16's and they are obviously stronger than the wheel.If I were to go with the 17.5 tires it would be for the wheel and not the tire as the difference in weight rating between the two tires is very little difference. It seems the Sailun that had the blow-out was just defective. There are thousands of these tires on the road putting millions of miles on them each year and this is a rarity. I have as much confidence in Sailun as I ever did and I have been running them for 5 years with no problem. Anyone running 235x85x16 Sailuns is running well below there rated capacity and as long as they are properly inflated and inspected frequently should not worry about them. If I had an rv like the DRV which runs 18k to 21k gvw then I would have the 17.5'' tire which is standard on them anyhow.

PSFORD99
02-27-2019, 08:03 PM
Yes, the 17.5x6.75 wheel is rated at 4850#. The most I have seen on 16'' wheels is the 3750#. I had 2 of the factory 3750# wheels get a hairline crack in them. I replaced 1 and when the other happened I bought a new set of 16'' Hi-Spec wheels. They look stronger as they don't have spokes which seems to be where the weakness is in the factory wheels. The wheels are still 3750#. I run Sailun 235x85x16's and they are obviously stronger than the wheel.If I were to go with the 17.5 tires it would be for the wheel and not the tire as the difference in weight rating between the two tires is very little difference. It seems the Sailun that had the blow-out was just defective. There are thousands of these tires on the road putting millions of miles on them each year and this is a rarity. I have as much confidence in Sailun as I ever did and I have been running them for 5 years with no problem. Anyone running 235x85x16 Sailuns is running well below there rated capacity and as long as they are properly inflated and inspected frequently should not worry about them. If I had an rv like the DRV which runs 18k to 21k gvw then I would have the 17.5'' tire which is standard on them anyhow.

Mine was not a blow out, and it was not defective. Had a lengthy conversation on phone today with a Sailun rep, and thats the conclusion he came up with after the info ,and pictures from me.

A defective tire most always shows its ugly head long before two years of use and thousands of miles, damage from curbing or whatever, shows up pretty quick also, and as far as I am concerned that has not happened ,and the fact it was drivers side the curbing is remote.

He thinks ,and I agree, and thought this before our conversation , Slow loss of air, until flat,overheated, and started coming apart. Or got cut on a jagged edge of a pothole, sudden loss of air, and started coming apart.

I have a 11 year history with these original wheels on this 2008 3400RL and three sets of tires on them. Never, and I mean never have I had to add air to any one of those from a loss of air, I have adjusted air pressure , but not from a loss of air .Have not not lost even 1 psi in the five days since with the new tire, and 200 miles so far. Wheel is good ,as is the valve stem .

Texan
02-27-2019, 11:04 PM
I'm glad you contacted the rep for Sailun. You probably want know for sure what happened but I agree if it were a defect then it should have shown up much earlier. Hope this encourages you to get TPMS because this would have sounded an alarm before the tire blew out. One of my wheels had a slow leak that I noticed the next morning at an rv park. I aired the tire up at took it to a tire repair shop and they found the crack in the wheel. I drove 500 miles home that day with no spare after installing the spare tire on the rv. The tire shop didn't have a spare wheel I could purchase. The next wheel that went bad had hit a blow out bump on the highway going through Cincinatti. The tire immediately started loosing air and I had just installed the TPMS before the trip and the alarm went off. I checked the tire and it was down to 80 psi from the 110 psi. I made it to a firestone dealer and they checked the tire and wheel in a tank of water and sure enough I had another wheel with a crack in it. I went to an rv park and found a steel wheel the next morning for a spare to get me home. When I got home I bought 4 Hi-Spec modular wheels and gave away the other 3 wheels to Montana owners for spares. Needless to say the tires were tougher than the wheels.

PSFORD99
02-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Yes after this a TPMS is next , any recommendations ??

Golfmedik
02-28-2019, 08:48 PM
Yes after this a TPMS is next , any recommendations ??

TST TPMS Truck system technologies. They now have flow through sensors that do not have to be taken off to add air. All you need is a set of metal valve stems, which all 110psi tires are required to have since the rubber ones are only rated for 80psi.

GAinaMontana
02-28-2019, 09:50 PM
TPMS saved my my butt twice. Leaking valve stems both times. Thankfully got stopped before any tire damage or worse both times.

PSFORD99
03-01-2019, 08:38 AM
TST TPMS Truck system technologies. They now have flow through sensors that do not have to be taken off to add air. All you need is a set of metal valve stems, which all 110psi tires are required to have since the rubber ones are only rated for 80psi.

Thanks, I will take a look at them. My truck shows air pressure, but the Ram 3500's don't have a warning , like the 2500's. Not sure why that is .

PSFORD99
03-01-2019, 08:39 AM
TPMS saved my my butt twice. Leaking valve stems both times. Thankfully got stopped before any tire damage or worse both times.

I can't help thinking mine would have been prevented with TPMS

PSFORD99
03-01-2019, 09:14 AM

I took a look at the TST brand, it appears they sell the flow thru ,and the standard ones, same price. My question, I have to guess air pressure does not have to be checked manually, they can be seen on the monitor ??

I'm guessing it would not be a big deal either way you go with the two style of sensors, being that they just screw on the valve stems, more or less no different then taking off the valve stem cap to add air ?? The standard sensors appear to be less bulky, and protruding out on the wheel ?? I guess what I am saying is it a big deal to screw off the sensor to adjust air if needed. I guess a lot of guessing here :D

CarWin
03-01-2019, 09:25 AM
Thanks, I will take a look at them. My truck shows air pressure, but the Ram 3500's don't have a warning , like the 2500's. Not sure why that is .

Oddly our dually does not have the TPMS system either. Im assuming only because its a dually.

GAinaMontana
03-01-2019, 10:18 AM
I originally blamed the two value stem failures on the centrifugal force on the stem created by the weight of the sensor. No proof just a suspicion. When I bought my Sailuns, had the dealer replace all the valve stems and have had no more problems. I think I would stay with the lighter weight sensor and removal to add air is no different than removing a stem cap.

PSFORD99
03-01-2019, 10:35 AM
I originally blamed the two value stem failures on the centrifugal force on the stem created by the weight of the sensor. No proof just a suspicion. When I bought my Sailuns, had the dealer replace all the valve stems and have had no more problems. I think I would stay with the lighter weight sensor and removal to add air is no different than removing a stem cap.

Thank you, I couldn't agree more on your assessment of the sensors, I will go with the standard sensors, those flow thru look too bulky for me.

jeffba
03-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Ours Dually has a TPMS and has provisions to add the trailer to it.

Texan
03-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Thank you, I couldn't agree more on your assessment of the sensors, I will go with the standard sensors, those flow thru look too bulky for me.

Good choice for the rv. I have the TST sensors and the sensors take about 10 seconds a piece to remove to check air. I leave the tool in the console so as not to lose it and I don't constantly watch the monitor as the alarm will sound if you get above or below your perimeters. The only problem I have as others is the alarm will sound if you plug it in in the morning if the tires are colder than your low side perimeter. Just drive a few miles and your tires will warm up then plug it in. Now stop scaring us about these Sailun tires lol.

PSFORD99
03-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Good choice for the rv. I have the TST sensors and the sensors take about 10 seconds a piece to remove to check air. I leave the tool in the console so as not to lose it and I don't constantly watch the monitor as the alarm will sound if you get above or below your perimeters. The only problem I have as others is the alarm will sound if you plug it in in the morning if the tires are colder than your low side perimeter. Just drive a few miles and your tires will warm up then plug it in. Now stop scaring us about these Sailun tires lol.

Thanks for the info, no more scaring, this tire loss was unfortunate , no fault of the tire, its on either me or the bad road, or whatever . It happens.

If I picked up something on the road ,and developed a slow leak, well thats on me for ignoring the facts of TPMS, if cut and a sudden loss , well thats was kind of out of my hands more or less.

sdetweil
03-03-2019, 01:20 PM
a note to TST users..

the sensors use the same frequency as 2.4mhz wifi.. with more and more wifi on the road these days, the collision of the monitor scanning for the sensor and a wifi blast from a car next door will confuse the monitor, only turn off/back on can fix it..

TST says to use the repeater, which DOES recover, and helps the monitor

I experienced the random loss of tire sensor signals over my 7 week trip last summer.. and have just now added the repeater.

also, the flow thru sensors are slower than a sleeping dog to get air into or out of. i just take them off... use the cap style all the time now

rames14
03-03-2019, 01:36 PM
I had the original TST and bought a new system about 5 years ago with flow through sensors. I don’t like airing through the sensors. I can get more pressure on the air chuck straight to the valve stem. If I were buying new, I would go non through sensor system. They have saved my bacon many times. Great customer service, also. Tire dealer broke a sensor and they said they would replace it. Called TST and they said they would send a new one at no charge. Had it in a few days.

laverdur
03-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Do you have a TPMS? There are a lot of good ones out there. I have the TireMinder. Mine gives me a lot of peace of mind knowing it will alert me to a sudden loss of pressure, slow leak or elevated temperature.

AZ Traveler
03-03-2019, 04:31 PM
I use the TST. When I talked to their rep Mike Benson he recommend not using the flow through sensors and that is the way I went. Have had it over a year and easy to remove the sensors for the two times I have added air.

Golfmedik
03-03-2019, 07:15 PM
a note to TST users..

the sensors use the same frequency as 2.4mhz wifi.. with more and more wifi on the road these days, the collision of the monitor scanning for the sensor and a wifi blast from a car next door will confuse the monitor, only turn off/back on can fix it..

TST says to use the repeater, which DOES recover, and helps the monitor

I experienced the random loss of tire sensor signals over my 7 week trip last summer.. and have just now added the repeater.

also, the flow thru sensors are slower than a sleeping dog to get air into or out of. i just take them off... use the cap style all the time now

Howdy Sam. The best thing for my system was adding the repeater. Much more reliable now.

Texan
03-03-2019, 10:24 PM
I installed the repeater when I installed the TST system on my rv and have never lost a signal.I used alligator clamps on my rv battery and it works great.

masterdrago
03-04-2019, 07:06 AM
Texan, I did notice that Sailun has a higher rated 17 1/2" tire in one of their docs. It has a near similar size as the 235/85R 16. I had even considered upgrading to it when I replaced the Sailuns now on my Montana but considering the ~$2k cost and harsher ride, may reconsider. Just for those wanting the extra margin. https://www.sailuntire.ca/MRT/S637.html

masterdrago
03-04-2019, 07:37 PM
I installed the repeater when I installed the TST system on my rv and have never lost a signal.I used alligator clamps on my rv battery and it works great. I did the repeater thing also. It came in the kit. At first, I did not install it to see how things would work out. I would sometimes drop a signal from mostly rear starboard tire. I installed the repeater just above the battery box on our 3791 and have had not signal loss. I wired a switch above the port side propane tank to be able to kill the repeater when not needed.

Mike_Garcia
03-04-2019, 11:01 PM
I just ordered my first Sailun tire to replace my Goodyear 10 ply factory spare. I'll run my Goodyear 14's until they need replaced and then go to a full suit of Sailuns. I paid nearly $1600. for a set of 4 back in 2015 after having 3 total failures of the factory 10 ply Goodyear China built junk.

PSFORD99
03-05-2019, 04:08 PM
I just ordered my first Sailun tire to replace my Goodyear 10 ply factory spare. I'll run my Goodyear 14's until they need replaced and then go to a full suit of Sailuns. I paid nearly $1600. for a set of 4 back in 2015 after having 3 total failures of the factory 10 ply Goodyear China built junk.

There was no way I was going to pay those prices again for G614's. Once was enough.

bigred715
03-12-2019, 12:46 PM
We have the repeater installed in the front closet in the trailer and wired into the dome light nearby. just take out fuse when not in use while in Arizona and will put back before leaving for home. Would not be without TST System.

PSFORD99
03-20-2019, 09:46 AM
After closely looking at the tire behind the failed tire, there is some slight damage to the outer edge of the tread, nothing that would cause a problem, considering it now has 900 miles on it after the failed tire . I am thinking it was the result of whatever I hit with the failed tire .

lundwc16
03-20-2019, 02:58 PM
I have the 17.5 Goodyears on our 2010 3075RL, & although they are a tough tire I'm not sure how happy I am with them. Sometimes I feel they are just too much tire for the rig. First couple trips I had them inflated to the 125psi they call for & it looked like a bomb went off inside the trailer. I have looked at the weight rating chart & have been slowly been reducing the air pressure in the tires. Last trip north from wintering in Fla I was down to 90psi & the tires still ran cool to the touch, & things were not as bad inside the rig. They are more of a truck tire & although they show no ware after about 15K miles I'm still considering replacing them with 16" Saliuns.
John

PSFORD99
03-20-2019, 03:25 PM
I have the 17.5 Goodyears on our 2010 3075RL, & although they are a tough tire I'm not sure how happy I am with them. Sometimes I feel they are just too much tire for the rig. First couple trips I had them inflated to the 125psi they call for & it looked like a bomb went off inside the trailer. I have looked at the weight rating chart & have been slowly been reducing the air pressure in the tires. Last trip north from wintering in Fla I was down to 90psi & the tires still ran cool to the touch, & things were not as bad inside the rig. They are more of a truck tire & although they show no ware after about 15K miles I'm still considering replacing them with 16" Saliuns.
John

Your trailer is what 14,500 GVWR ??, Those 17.5 have got to be pretty rough. The Sailuns ,especially the 235/85/16 will cover whatever weight you are going to be, and then some.

My fifth wheel weighted at one point, not fully loaded 12,740 , and 2420 on the pin. Round figures 13,000, 2500, puts 10,500 on the axles or 2625 per tire.

Per Sailuns weight chart they sent me for the 235/85/16 45 psi for 2580 lbs , and 50 psi for 2760 lbs. . So say around 47 psi for the weight I have on my 235/85/16 Sailuns. Thats hard to believe around 50 psi on a 110 psi tire, but thats what the chart has . No I won't run that , but I may lower my pressure a bit, down to 90 cold . What I will do is weigh every wheel just to see what is on each one, I know pretty close the total weight ,but no idea each wheel .

lundwc16
03-20-2019, 04:35 PM
I also didn't like the idea of having an odd size on the trailer 17.5 Granted they are close in overall diameter to the 16's they are difficult to replace on the road, even if you start out with 5 & have a problem, put the spare on, now you are traveling without a spare. The more I think about it I'll go back to the 16's & put Sailuns on.

John

sme1950s
03-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Thanks for sharing. Do we know the manufacturer date?