PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you rotate the tires on your dually? Y/N

daveinaz
02-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Is the added tire life worth the expense/hassle of rotating the tires on a dually?

If yes, how often and what pattern of rotation?

If no, typical life of front and rear tires.

BuilderBob
02-05-2019, 11:44 AM
I rotate mine every 5,000 miles I have steel wheels of you have alum wheels they have to be dismounted & remounted and balanced to rotate them.

jcurtis934
02-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Never rotated my bf goodrich rugged trails and still had life left when I yanked them off to get a quieter running tire set after 65k miles.

DQDick
02-05-2019, 06:53 PM
Never rotated on our SRW and won't on our dually either.

ColoradoPriorMarines
02-05-2019, 07:00 PM
Is the added tire life worth the expense/hassle of rotating the tires on a dually?

I rotate side - side @ 5000 miles.

waynemoore
02-05-2019, 07:01 PM
SRW and rotate every oil change.

1retired06
02-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Have never rotated. Age more of a factor then mileage for us.

hblosser
02-05-2019, 11:25 PM
My truck has aluminum wheels. You have to dismount, mount and balance in order to rotate. 15k miles and haven't done it. They appear to be wearing even.

MidMOTraveler
02-06-2019, 07:53 AM
I ran F350 dually’s with 9’ service boxes for 25 years. Loaded to around 12K the day they were bought. Had utility trailer hooked up 80% of the time. Never rotated rear tires only front every 10k
Replaced fronts twice as often as rears averaged 65-70k on a rear set. All highway miles and no rock roads.

PNW Fireguy
02-06-2019, 12:12 PM
That would be a No.

richfaa
02-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Never rotated on both our dully trucks.

dsttexas
02-10-2019, 01:49 PM
Had 05 Ford dually 2011 Chevy dually and never rotated the rears. Both tires on both sides wore very evenly so rotating would not accomplish anything. No way should any dually rotate incorporate the front tires. If one side ended up with two tires of slightly different diameter they would scrub each a little constanty under motion, causing faster wear than if left alone assuming they are wearing evenly as is.

hrlyrdr
02-10-2019, 01:50 PM
I always rotate on all my vehicles. NOW .. here it comes.. Took the 18 dually to Discount Tire.. truck has 8k miles. Noticed when I picked it up that the right front looked as it had not ben rotated or had just been put back on the wrong wheel. Took truck back to get the right sides changed. Left the truck and manager called to say it was ready and that they had messed up a wheel. So I go to get truck. Right rear wheel clear coat ruined, I mean completely messed up. Closer inspection the right front was also scratched. I would have let that go except there was a gouge in the aluminum so the clear would soon start pealing. Two new wheels ordered by them. Get the wheels put on and the rear looks different, as in a reconditioned. I made it clear I expected NEW wheels. Anyway, also they never put the rears on correctly. Could not check air on inner. I called the manager OUTSIDE so other customers would not hear our TALK and ask him to slow down and do the job correctly. Just my 2 pennies worth....

Chasw98
02-10-2019, 02:58 PM
I have 2012 F450 dually. Used to never rotate. Ford owners manual says only rotate the rears if abnormal wear is noticed. Swap front every 5,000 miles. A lot less jiggle in my steering after I started rotating fronts and they wear more evenly also.

Todd727
02-10-2019, 05:32 PM
You don't have to dismount with aluminum wheels. Yes, one side has clearcoat, but not a big deal. Clean the wheels.

parksjanda
02-11-2019, 08:30 AM
The Chevy dealer recommends not to rotate the tires on our 350 HD high country dully.

JABURKHOLDER
02-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Not any more
Long story...
A couple years ago I went to my dealership to have the tires rotated. There actually is a specified rotation diagram for a dually. My rims are aluminum and the front and rear rims look the same but are actually different. The tires are all raised white outlined lettered. The tires would have to be unmounted then remounted to do the rotation at a cost of $20 per tire. $120, holy crap. Well, I went ahead anyway. A couple problems arose during the attempted rotation. First, the inner rear tires were not raised outlines white letters. Second, the inner rear tires were mounted on steel rims. This was not discovered until they had already broken down the fronts and outer rears. So, ended up doing an X pattern rotation with the unmounted tires.
Went to pick up the truck and discovered they boogered up three rims. :facepalm: They ended up buying me three new rims. Close to a $3k bill that they ate. :eek:
Soooo... no more rotation for me.

PeteandJoan
02-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Mine are not wearing unevenly so....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The tire jockeys will probably just cause other problems (as stated above) so I'd rather not give them an opportunity . The places I have had service they can't even inflate the tires to the requested psi. unbelievable .

Renegade1LI
02-12-2019, 10:13 PM
I have found if the tire is wearing more on one side than the other its best to correct the problem. Rotating will just cause another tire to wear, I try to carefully inspect the tires & after a long drive I check temps on all the wheels. Usually any excessive heat is a good indicator of a potential problem.

Barman54
02-13-2019, 04:00 PM
My Dually is not my Primary Vehicle.
I Rotate mine myself, I want it down correctly, using a Torque Wrench, easier to remove should have to remove on the road.
Comes to a little over 5G Miles, I air up tires in the Spring, Deflate them in the Fall.
Do most of the Maintenance myself, If I go for Service, I stay with my Truck.

Barman54
Out

daveinaz
02-13-2019, 04:50 PM
My Dually is not my Primary Vehicle.
I Rotate mine myself, I want it down correctly, using a Torque Wrench, easier to remove should have to remove on the road.
Comes to a little over 5G Miles, I air up tires in the Spring, Deflate them in the Fall.
Do most of the Maintenance myself, If I go for Service, I stay with my Truck.

Barman54
Out

Ditto on doing it yourself if you can. I stopped having "those places" do the oil change and tire rotation on our regular cars after I got sick and tired of them over-torquing everything. Last time they did it (about 2 years ago) I went to change the oil and I had to get my 18" breaker bar, hold it in one hand, and hold onto the frame with the other (because without holding onto the frame I just pushed myself away from it), and finally get the drain bolt loose. It was ridiculous! I'm surprised they didn't strip the threads.

Then when it came time to rotate the tires, I don't know how many ft-lbs they had on the nuts, but my impact wrench barely got them off! I can't imagine if I had been on the side of the road trying get them off with the measly wrench that comes with the tire change kit on the car. Now I can set the impact to it's lowest setting, then come behind it with my torque wrench, give it a quarter of a turn, and they are set at the proper torque.

Golfmedik
03-06-2019, 04:15 PM
I rotate the front tires side to side every 5k and just replaced the rears at 36k mile with 28 of that pulling the 5er. The outside R rear was worn more than the others, so this time I'll rotate the rears at 10k side to side to see if it makes a difference.

432bartman
06-10-2020, 12:08 PM
I always rotate on all my vehicles. NOW .. here it comes.. Took the 18 dually to Discount Tire.. truck has 8k miles. Noticed when I picked it up that the right front looked as it had not ben rotated or had just been put back on the wrong wheel. Took truck back to get the right sides changed. Left the truck and manager called to say it was ready and that they had messed up a wheel. So I go to get truck. Right rear wheel clear coat ruined, I mean completely messed up. Closer inspection the right front was also scratched. I would have let that go except there was a gouge in the aluminum so the clear would soon start pealing. Two new wheels ordered by them. Get the wheels put on and the rear looks different, as in a reconditioned. I made it clear I expected NEW wheels. Anyway, also they never put the rears on correctly. Could not check air on inner. I called the manager OUTSIDE so other customers would not hear our TALK and ask him to slow down and do the job correctly. Just my 2 pennies worth....

Oh man what a nightmare.......did they finally make it right for you?

Charlie 3931fb
06-10-2020, 01:52 PM

Yes I do. Rotate tire front to back same side once a year if we have traveled less then 10,000 miles a year.

Every 10,000 miles a year if we travel more.

Charlie

PeteandJoan
06-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Not anymore...too many problems. Tire shops and truck dealer quick service hate dually. If you Ain't watching ...they ain't doing it right. They cannot even get the air pressure right. Too much hassle. Could write a book about it. Have had this set of Michelins for about 50,000 mi. and no rotation and showing no uneven wear. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.