PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Monty 3121RL

Wicked1
12-12-2018, 06:20 AM
I have the Raineir Tires but though they are rated for 110 I was told by a tire guy to keep them at 100 during warm months and 105 at cold temps.

Sounds logical but what does everyone do with their tires? Mine have 10,000 miles on them and I used to keep them at 110 but now I am thinking that is too high.

I have had trailers before but never had G rated 16” tires always 14-15” so not 100% sure what they should be. The total weight with our trailer loaded is 13,800#’s keeping in mind out Pin is roughly 2600 the rest of the weight is in the basement and the rest of the RV?

mazboy
12-12-2018, 06:27 AM
100-110, WHATEVER.

tires are RATED at 110psi so it is fine.

DadsHemi
12-12-2018, 06:46 AM
I keep mine at 110 all year round

Wicked1
12-12-2018, 07:43 AM
What about expansion? In the hot weather does anyone know how much higher the tires can go?

RoadRunnerTR21
12-12-2018, 07:57 AM
I keep my tires at 110 PSI cold. In hot weather they go up to 122 to 125 PSI. That is within acceptable limits. Recommendations are 10% below cold tire pressure for the low end and 20 - 25% above the cold tire pressure for the high end.

Wicked1
12-12-2018, 08:33 AM
I keep my tires at 110 PSI cold. In hot weather they go up to 122 to 125 PSI. That is within acceptable limits. Recommendations are 10% below cold tire pressure for the low end and 20 - 25% above the cold tire pressure for the high end.

Wow I never knew that ok so running from NJ to Florida they will be good at 110 each since that is what they are rated for, good to know by I couldn’t find anything from the MFG.

RoadRunnerTR21
12-12-2018, 08:39 AM
I learned of these recommended limits when I got my TST 507 TPMS.

DQDick
12-12-2018, 09:20 AM
We run about 108 and the only time we've had a tire blow was when I didn't replace them after 5 years.

Wicked1
12-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Interesting Vic I see so many threads and heard so many stories of blowouts where people say they take care of their tires?

I personally take care of mine and change when needed but these Reiner’s are brand new and came on our Montana, I have 10,000 on them hope to get another 5-10K within the next year then maybe replace them but I always check them and try to be careful with them so fingers crossed

Golfmedik
12-13-2018, 05:22 AM
ANY G rated tire will be better than any E rated tire on heavy campers. I have Goodyear G614s on my rig as that is what came on it, but have had a blowout with a TPMS system in use. I always run 110psi cold as stated above. They will reach 125 psi in the summer on the interstates which is within their specs. When replacing my GYs. I will be going with Sailun as they have a great track record. Up and coming tire, plus made right here in the US is the Hercules G rated tires made by Cooper. They are new but should do fine. I wouldn't fear the G rated Rainiers near as much as I would the E rated ones as lots of us have seen the carnage caused by them. My advice is to run a TPMS, check the pressures before you leave and then visually inspect them at each stop looking for uneven tire wear and any strange bulges.

Wicked1
12-13-2018, 11:37 AM
I do that with the Raineirs now, I have done that with any trailer tire and I carry a compressor so I can even them out before he trip and when on the road if I have to. I do a visual check before I get on the road and check that nothing is wrong with the tire or anything like a rock or nail is in the tire. I will run these and just keep on top of them but they are 14 ply so as long as I do that I just hope they hold up and don’t cause any issues.

McIver
12-15-2018, 07:53 AM
If you want to avoid a completely shreded tire doing damage to the Monty, get pressure monitors. Mine have saved me 4 times in 10 years.

Wicked1
12-15-2018, 09:26 AM
If you want to avoid a completely shreded tire doing damage to the Monty, get pressure monitors. Mine have saved me 4 times in 10 years.

Been looking at those just have to pick a brand and buy it on Amazon, so many to choose from and we want ones that work as well as informative and clear to read

Jeffrey
12-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Like you said there are many TPMS out there. I have a Tire minder TPMS for 5 yrs. Easy to read and check and it has visual and sound when a tire gets low or fast air leak. I had a tire replaced last year and the tire had a very slow leak and it informed me of a low tire with sound and visual that scared the $#@&% crap out of me but it was only about 10lbs under pressure. This was do from a slow bead leak. So far I have not had a blow out in about 20,000 miles. Thank goodness!

McIver
12-15-2018, 06:01 PM
I have Pressure Pro and am quite pleased. It is hard wired into one of the extra switches on my Ford F-250. Can't remember if I had to have a repeater installed on the back of the truck to pick up the signal from the Monty.

phillyg
12-19-2018, 02:49 PM
Since they're G-rated at max 110psi, you could just put in 110 and leave them alone. But, since your FW is not 16,000lbs, or more, you could run them at less psi based on your actual weight, using the tire mfgr's load chart, if they publish one. If not, I recommend you use Sailun's chart.

CaptnJohn
12-19-2018, 05:59 PM
Tons of research lead me to TST for the TPMS and Sailun tires.

laverdur
12-19-2018, 06:28 PM
The advice to run lower than max sidewall pressure may be based on the assumption that a rolling tire generates heat which will result in slightly elevated tire pressures. Tire manufacturers know this and take it into account when specifying max inflation pressures. In truth, with two identical tires under identical load and one at 100 psi and the other at 110 psi the tire at 110 psi will have less heat-induced temperature rise and thus less heat-induced inflation pressure increase.

Beau2010
12-19-2018, 06:50 PM
Been running Sailuns for about three years. Always start out at 110 psi and they hold that pressure pretty well. In warm weather, they get up to 125 or more on the road but no problem so far. The only problem has been failure of two valve stems, apparently because of the TST temp/pressure monitors. Have steel stems on order; hope that fixes the problem.

AZ Traveler
12-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Been running Sailuns for about three years. Always start out at 110 psi and they hold that pressure pretty well. In warm weather, they get up to 125 or more on the road but no problem so far. The only problem has been failure of two valve stems, apparently because of the TST temp/pressure monitors. Have steel stems on order; hope that fixes the problem.

Surprised you didn't already have metal stems. They are recommended for even a lower pressure tire when you add the monitor.

cgeis48
12-19-2018, 07:53 PM
The primary reasons for tire blowout are damage, under-inflation (cold) and overload.
Under-inflation causes the tire sidewalls to bulge/deform and the steel belts to separate resulting in tire failure. Overload does the same thing; the tire sidewalls bulge/deform and the steel belts separate and the tire fails.
Best bet; inflate to cold temperature as recommended on tire sidewall and get a TPMS. The newer F250/340 trucks have built-in ability to provide the TPMS in some models.

DebNJim B
12-27-2018, 09:35 AM
I have Saluns and set them at 110 cold. Have seen them go as high as 130-133 after warm up. Don't have temp readings but when I stop I check by feel and have not had any issues.

Wicked1
01-01-2019, 06:48 AM
The primary reasons for tire blowout are damage, under-inflation (cold) and overload.
Under-inflation causes the tire sidewalls to bulge/deform and the steel belts to separate resulting in tire failure. Overload does the same thing; the tire sidewalls bulge/deform and the steel belts separate and the tire fails.
Best bet; inflate to cold temperature as recommended on tire sidewall and get a TPMS. The newer F250/340 trucks have built-in ability to provide the TPMS in some models.

I am on my 4th RV and we always have kept them at Max PSI, check them often even when I pull over for Fuel to make sure I don’t hit anything like nail or debris that damaged tires. I have the Raineir on the 2018 Montana and they do very well for us, our rig is also 3,000 lbs under Max load so we never load heavy and we pull with a 2016 F350 SB Crew 6.7. I keep up with all the maintenance and the truck does well too, just did a 2 week trip to Florida and really just kept tires at 110 and checked them every so often, made it to and from with no issues but I agree with what you said.