PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Fire Stick

GoodTimes
11-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Does anyone use the Amazon FireStick for tv shows and movies? We are going camping for the month of December so I ordered one and had my Verizon MiFi box connected again for the month. Just wondering if there are any pointers?

PNW Fireguy
11-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Just jail broke mine.

awheeler
11-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Does anyone use the Amazon FireStick for tv shows and movies? We are going camping for the month of December so I ordered one and had my Verizon MiFi box connected again for the month. Just wondering if there are any pointers?

Yep! Use the Fire in the bedroom with Verizon MiFi. Works great. In the den I use Roku with cable (at RV Park) or stream with AT&T.

Eagleback
11-26-2018, 05:15 AM
I only use mine for the Kodi add on. But it works well if you have good internet.

GoodTimes
11-26-2018, 06:33 AM
LOL! Jailbreak, Kodi.....y’all are way over my head! Thanks for you comments!

whitesub93
11-26-2018, 07:26 AM
If you youtube the firestik you will find numerous videos on upgrades including downloading a web browser to use your TV like a large tablet. And there are streaming sevices (Vader Streams, Mobro, etc.) that only charge a small fee or are free to stream TV and movies.

PNW Fireguy
11-26-2018, 09:17 AM
LOL! Jailbreak, Kodi.....y’all are way over my head! Thanks for you comments!

The Firestick on its own provides internet content that Amazon approves. Jail breaking the firestick allows non Amazon approved content and applications to be installed on the device you purchased. It is not necessary to do this. As is if the Firestick content meets your needs you are golden. I use mine with a grandfathered Verizon unlimited jetpack. It works fine with the occassional buffering pause. I wanted additional content and since I own the device I decided like many others to load non Amazon approved software to gain access to additional content. As stated earlier lots of Youtube content on performing this as well as the why to do it argument.

DQDick
11-26-2018, 09:41 AM
At this point, just plain old Firestick and Netflex work for us. Got them cheap and use one for each TV.

kozzy
11-26-2018, 07:51 PM
it works great, I use mine on the road all the time. I also have Amazon Prime, so I get access to all of prime TV and movies, plus rentals with that . You can access your prime account right from the firestick Works great for Amazon music as well, if you want to stream and pipe through the camper speakers for listening during the day. I have mine jail broken as well, but I have to say, Kodi dosent work well anymore, and the free streaming stuff is changing all the time, and stops working, I dont even bother with that anymore. Just Prime and netflix. There are also a ton of streaming services you cn pay for that have apps compatible with the fire stick.

kc8lvy
11-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Use the fire stick all the time. We are full timers so we have our own internet connection. We stream Amazon Prime and Netflix and alot of others also. In fact we have 2 . One for our main TV and our other one we use it on our outside TV or our projector.

GoodTimes
11-26-2018, 08:24 PM
Thanks! I have Amazon Prime too but have never used it for anything but shipping. Fingers crossed I can get it figured out. Doesn’t sound to hard but I’m a little technically challenged. LOL! And hubby is no help. He leaves it to me to try and figure out. So after the campfire we may be watching cooking shows and Hogan’s Hero’s! Lol!

GoodTimes
11-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Thanks! If it works I may get another for the bedroom tv!

tomJerram
12-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Just watch your usage remember even an unlimited plan with verizon has data limits. after that they will throttle your bandwidth so it is to slow to use.

justlkn
12-02-2018, 03:49 PM
We have used firesticks exclusively for almost a year with no issues. Also Verizon just recently released a truly non throttled unlimited internet on jet pack for 70 a month. 65 if you choose auto billing. The jet pack they offer online is an outdated one. If you go to the store you can purchase the new 8800L and use that one. I have used hundreds of gigabytes with no loss of data or throttling. Awesome deal!

KMZirger
12-02-2018, 04:13 PM
We use our Firestick with Xfinity App to watch shows recorded on home DVR and many live shows available away from home network.

Last2Die
12-02-2018, 04:16 PM
You jailbreak IOS devices, you Root Android devices, but with the fire stick you are side loading, not changing the root functions or kernel exploits..

With that said I have 3 fire sticks in my 3920, used just for streaming on my intranet within my coach, I run Plex and a server inside.

For Tv service and everything else I have Directv now and ATT so I can stream all day long with no data consumption, even though I have unlimited. Unlimited plans are slowed down by the carrier, ATT and Verizon are about 22 gig, I think T mobile and sprint are around 40-50.

Try Directv Now if you have ATT and get a phone to HDMI adapter works great !!

Last2Die
12-02-2018, 04:26 PM
We have used firesticks exclusively for almost a year with no issues. Also Verizon just recently released a truly non throttled unlimited internet on jet pack for 70 a month. 65 if you choose auto billing. The jet pack they offer online is an outdated one. If you go to the store you can purchase the new 8800L and use that one. I have used hundreds of gigabytes with no loss of data or throttling. Awesome deal!

I would love to see this if you have any information on it !!!

Last2Die
12-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Just called Verizon and they told me its 15 gig cap for LTE service then slows down to 3g speeds... any insight?

tomJerram
12-02-2018, 05:34 PM
If this is accurate things have changed and I'll jump on it. I bought a jetpac last winter when in Florida and ran thru all my data in a week (netflix etc). Verizon said they do cap the jet pac so I returned it.

Bnrc73
12-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Hooking up your fire stick is very easy. Just plug into hdmi on the tv. Set tv to that port and your good to go. I can use mine with the hotspot on my phone. Verison does throttle you back after 20 gigs. Then I run my I-pad hotspot for another ther 20. If I use that up I go outside and read a book.

PNW Fireguy
12-02-2018, 06:32 PM
Verizon pre-paid offers an unlimited, uncapped plan for the Jetpack for $70 with $5 off for auto pay. While there is no cap it is subject to network management but I have not experienced it and have used over 75 gb this far this cycle.

Last2Die
12-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Verizon pre-paid offers an unlimited, uncapped plan for the Jetpack for $70 with $5 off for auto pay. While there is no cap it is subject to network management but I have not experienced it and have used over 75 gb this far this cycle.

I just called them and they told me its 15 gig soft cap then reduced to 3g speeds which is .6mb download speed. If can shed some information on this I would appreciate it !! its a good deal if its really unlimited while out camping

PNW Fireguy
12-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Only the post paid is capped. The prepaid plan is not.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-overhauls-prepaid-introducing-unlimited-data-plans-for-jetpacks/

Last2Die
12-02-2018, 10:31 PM
Only the post paid is capped. The prepaid plan is not.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-overhauls-prepaid-introducing-unlimited-data-plans-for-jetpacks/

This might be so new that the store I called didn’t know about this plan. Can you start and stop service when you don’t need the hotspot.?

pattiw61
12-03-2018, 03:39 AM

We used our firestick once and then I found out we have a smart Blu-ray player and we could get Netflix and other movies as well. We had to use our hot spot as the campground wi-fi didn't work (not a surprise). It seems to use a lot of data as it's the first time I got a notice about heavy data usage.

justlkn
12-03-2018, 09:01 AM
I have had the Verizon Prepaid Jetpack unlimited for a little over a month. I am using around 16gb a day with almost 500gb a month. No slow down at all. I am supporting 4 Firesticks, 3 phones and a tablet. I also purchased an putlet timer that I set to come on every 12 hours to charge the battery for two hours to help prevent over charging and battery swell. $65 a month with auto-pay for unlimited unthrottled data is a steal!

The only thing I recommend is to go to the store and buy the newest 8800L jetpack instead of using the old outdated one Verizon shows on their page.

Last2Die
12-03-2018, 09:11 AM
I have had the Verizon Prepaid Jetpack unlimited for a little over a month. I am using around 16gb a day with almost 500gb a month. No slow down at all. I am supporting 4 Firesticks, 3 phones and a tablet. I also purchased an putlet timer that I set to come on every 12 hours to charge the battery for two hours to help prevent over charging and battery swell. $65 a month with auto-pay for unlimited unthrottled data is a steal!

The only thing I recommend is to go to the store and buy the newest 8800L jetpack instead of using the old outdated one Verizon shows on their page.

Considering its prepaid, I assume I need to purchase the unit outright, not really a problem, just trying to get all the facts. Second, since its prepaid and im not a full timer again, assuming I can start and stop the service as needed..? I will be heading out this summer for 2 months, would be great to have unlimited to stream from all TV's !!

justlkn
12-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Considering its prepaid, I assume I need to purchase the unit outright, not really a problem, just trying to get all the facts. Second, since its prepaid and im not a full timer again, assuming I can start and stop the service as needed..? I will be heading out this summer for 2 months, would be great to have unlimited to stream from all TV's !!

Yes you will have to purchase the jet pack out right and as for starting and stopping the service as needed I can't say. I looked at the account online and it only gives me the option to cancel service.

Last2Die
12-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Yes you will have to purchase the jet pack out right and as for starting and stopping the service as needed I can't say. I looked at the account online and it only gives me the option to cancel service.

May be worth it to stop into a store and get more info !! Thank you !!

PNW Fireguy
12-03-2018, 11:49 AM
You can start and stop as you like as it is prepaid. Simply stop paying and the service stops. I believe you can then prepay again and service is available. May have to create a new account depending on how long the stoppage is. You purchase the unit for $199 outright then add the first months bill of $70. After that the bill is $65 with auto pay.

jeffba
12-03-2018, 11:51 AM
With the Verizon Prepaid Jetpack what are your download and upload speeds?

PNW Fireguy
12-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Depends on many, many variables. There is no number that would necessarily reflect what you would get. I have seen speeds of about 50Mbps and as slow as 2Mbps. In general network and tower saturation, tower location, LOS will all have significant impact on your throughout.

I have two devices which I can aggregate he available bandwidth. I have on average about 8 devices connected at any given time. I can watch streaming TV and video including HD Vudu streaming which is probably one of the more bandwidth intensive streaming services out there. If you have average LTE coverage you should have no problem doing the same on a single Jetpack on this prepaid Verizon plan.

mhs4771
12-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Just don't forget that the $70 or $65 is for the Jet Pak only. Phones are $40 each line, not sure on Tablets, but when I looked into it it would increase our bill $50 to $75 more a month for 3 phones, 2 tablets, & a Jet Pak.

jeffba
12-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Depends on many, many variables. There is no number that would necessarily reflect what you would get. I have seen speeds of about 50Mbps and as slow as 2Mbps. In general network and tower saturation, tower location, LOS will all have significant impact on your throughout.

I have two devices which I can aggregate he available bandwidth. I have on average about 8 devices connected at any given time. I can watch streaming TV and video including HD Vudu streaming which is probably one of the more bandwidth intensive streaming services out there. If you have average LTE coverage you should have no problem doing the same on a single Jetpack on this prepaid Verizon plan.

Yes, I understand ones results may vary. What I am looking for is DSL speeds or better. Sounds like you have been able to do just that. So at least I know I have a good starting point. Most likely will also get an antenna and booster.

I need to be able to use VOIP via Skype with screen sharing and control. I have coworkers that use DSL so that is my baseline. Of course 5GB files take them forever to download.

PNW Fireguy
12-04-2018, 12:29 PM
I am performing those functions as well. I do a lot of thin client stuff even when bandwidth has been challenging. The cell amplifier isn't always the best option, however it is one of the tools I would recommend having in your aresenal. As soon as I can find the Netgear MIMO antenna in stock anywhere I will jump on one of those as well. From what I have seen the MIMO antenna is more often the tool of choice for markedly increased throughput as the booster can only boost one channel.