PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about Sailun tires

Hawkpat
09-30-2018, 04:36 PM
After to many tire problems I am going to purchase Sailun tires this week. Tow questions: 1) how do I know if the aluminum rims will handle 110 psi and 2) a friend suggested running them at less than 110 for less bounce on the highway. Said it would wear a bit quicker. Is that a good idea? Thanks for any advice.

AZ Traveler
09-30-2018, 04:58 PM
The back of your rims will be stamped 110 PSI if they are built to handle 110. You can run lower pressure if your rig is fairly light without a problem, you can also run 80 PSI if that is all your wheels are made to handle. You also want to install metal valve stems if you do not already have them.

mlh
09-30-2018, 05:18 PM
People run them at all different pressures. If you have 110 pounds wheels I see no reason not to run them at 110 pounds. The only downside is the camper will ride a little rougher. There are several pluses including they will run cooler with even less change of a blowout.
Lynwood

DQDick
09-30-2018, 06:07 PM
I always run at near 110#, but if you want to run less you need to weigh each wheel since they will not all be carrying the same weight and you don’t want to run under inflated.

Montana Man
09-30-2018, 07:24 PM
A tire will perform best at its rated pressure. Just monitor for even treadwear. Running a tire 30 lbs below generally increases running temperature and excessive sidewall flexing. If ride is a concern, suspension components need changing, not running tires at 3/4 pressure.

TBW Ventures
09-30-2018, 09:47 PM
My Monty came with Sailun tires. I take it yours did not. As the manufacturer installed them it must match the rim specs.

I have been questioning whether or not I should keep this Sailun tires and get something better?

PSFORD99
09-30-2018, 10:35 PM
My Monty came with Sailun tires. I take it yours did not. As the manufacturer installed them it must match the rim specs.

I have been questioning whether or not I should keep this Sailun tires and get something better?

I usually laugh a bit when I hear upgrading a Sailun. Something better, not sure what that would be. Hopefully you were not considering Goodyear G614's, IMO , and that of many others on this forum the Goodyear is an inferior tire to the Sailun, and the outrageous price of twice the Sailun.

Stick with the Sailuns, IMO, and many others ,they are the BEST G rated 16" tire you can put on a fifth wheel.

At one time the Goodyears had a terrible reputation, they have improved in recent years, but just review them ,and you will see. Also review the Sailun S637's ,and see what you come up with.

leemedic
10-01-2018, 03:16 AM
I had my rig weighed at the National Montana Rally. They recommended that I run my Montana tires at 105-110 psi. They also recommend that I run my 2006 Ford F350 dually at 60 psi front and back.

I hope this helps.

phillyg
10-01-2018, 09:55 AM
You may have take a wheel off and thoroughly inspect it in the daylight for the stamp or raised metal numbers. If your actual weight doesn't require the full 110psi, then yes, lower your psi according to the Sailun chart. You DO NOT have to run the max psi indicated on the tire.

Hawkpat
10-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Thanks for all the assistance. Rims capable of 140 psi according to installer. Hope I have same performance with the Sailun as most others seem to have.

Ram Montana High Country
10-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Hawk - an installer telling gospel is like the RV Salesman giving me gospel - we all have our humble opinion … unless it is in print, I take it with a grain of salt - IMHO

Thankfully we all can have one! God Bless this country

paul01
10-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Great choice of tires I have put 7,000 miles on my sailuns tires and have always ran 110lbs air in them. They still look like new,the Monty tows very nicely with these tires and I have ran over some very poor roads with them. Look on the back side of your rims they should have a stamped air pressure ratting on them.

mazboy
10-05-2018, 07:09 PM
never said what tires you have on your trailer. if they are 'G' rated then you are all set. but, the psi rating is on the inside of the wheels somewhere.

Ronbry
10-07-2018, 02:17 PM
I have Goodyear Endurance tires load range E, Goodyear has a inflation chart for the tire for the load you are putting on it so you don’t under or over inflate it for your load weight. I would think other manufactures would also

Phil P
10-07-2018, 05:47 PM
Hi

We don’t have any complaint about the G-614 except the cost. We have had 2 sets of G-614 the first set is still going 9 years latter without any problem. The second set blew a tire on me last month but that tire was 6year 9 months old and had close to 50,000 miles on it and should have been removed from service in 2013 because of a broken spring causing the tire to be pulled sideways down the road for a mile or so.

I have just put a new set of E rated tires on to see how they hold up.

Phil P

Klonerama
10-07-2018, 08:48 PM
Generally 6 lug rims are for 80# E rated tires
8 lug rims are 110# G rated tires

CaptnJohn
10-07-2018, 11:05 PM
LR E on a Monty? What is the GVWR? Or even loaded weight? I run Sailun at 100 psi on 14,000#.

mazboy
10-08-2018, 05:06 AM
I have to respond to the comment on Goodyear tires and how everyone knows they are bad tires.
1. Goodyear is the number one tire in the US
2. If you are making a comment on Goodyear's 'RV' tires, the one problem for them seems to be the Goodyear G159 tires.
3. Bottomline is that the G614 which 'we' use are great tires, but, they cost an arm and a leg.

Okie-Dokie
10-08-2018, 06:33 AM
"Run on 110 psi" Is this the cold pressure before you start out or the psi when you have been running which is going to be 10-20 psi higher than cold pressure?

AZ Traveler
10-08-2018, 07:17 AM
"Run on 110 psi" Is this the cold pressure before you start out or the psi when you have been running which is going to be 10-20 psi higher than cold pressure?

It is the cold pressure.

PSFORD99
10-08-2018, 08:40 AM
I have to respond to the comment on Goodyear tires and how everyone knows they are bad tires.
2. If you are making a comment on Goodyear's 'RV' tires, the one problem for them seems to be the Goodyear G159 tires.
3. Bottomline is that the G614 which 'we' use are great tires, but, they cost an arm and a leg.

They are certainly #1 in price ,thats for sure. G614's had a terrible reputation for BLOWOUTS, granted they have improved , and seem to be a quality tire, but still there is no secret to their reputation. All one has to do is google the G614 to see the reviews.

CaptnJohn
10-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Not so fast. No one has said current tires are bad. Yes, they had many accidents, injuries, and even deaths on the G519 that they kept on selling. When the 1st produced Marathons they were not bad, then they changed to junk. GY is not extremely trustworthy.
The GY G614 is a good tire. It used to be the best and deserved a premium but not a huge one. Anyone doing research will find some problems. The same research on the Sailun S 637 is much better. Also, it is 1/2 the price. Stay with the GY as you are happy and comfy with them. Many others will also, but all I know have or will switch to Sailun and NOT because of price but reputation.

PSFORD99
10-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Not so fast. No one has said current tires are bad. Yes, they had many accidents, injuries, and even deaths on the G519 that they kept on selling. When the 1st produced Marathons they were not bad, then they changed to junk. GY is not extremely trustworthy.
The GY G614 is a good tire. It used to be the best and deserved a premium but not a huge one. Anyone doing research will find some problems. The same research on the Sailun S 637 is much better. Also, it is 1/2 the price. Stay with the GY as you are happy and comfy with them. Many others will also, but all I know have or will switch to Sailun and NOT because of price but reputation.

Thank goodness for the Sailuns :D

Yes ,back what 10 years ago the G614's were the best considering the alternatives that we were getting on our Montana fifth wheels. My OEM's were Mission brand, I didn't leave them on very long, went with the G614's they served me well, although they didn't have a stellar reputation. They were fairly expensive back then. There were not many choices back then for a G rated 16" tire. A lot of guys were going with a quality LT E rated tire or the G614's

Briarglenn
10-08-2018, 11:20 PM
My Monty came w/4 Sailun tires. My SIL has been my go-to since he joined the family over 26 years ago. He stated, I don't have a tire to compete with them. He's been in the tire business since I've known him.

richfaa
10-09-2018, 06:31 AM
3. Bottom line is that the G614 which 'we' use are great tires, but, they cost an arm and a leg.

you are absolutely correct on the 159 tires .The G6 14 did not have that problem. The Saluns seem to be performing well. We stuck with the Goodyear G614's just our choice.

vacationer
10-09-2018, 01:00 PM
My monty came with rainers 95 psi I will be changing them next summer along with the dually . Going to run sailun on both

PSFORD99
10-09-2018, 01:54 PM
My monty came with rainers 95 psi I will be changing them next summer along with the dually . Going to run sailun on both

Advised a friend about the Sailun Terramax AT's , he's been running them now for a couple months, been meaning to ask him how they were doing. Kinda been letting him be the guinea pig :D, but not really after having the Sailun S637's on my fifth wheel for the last 2 years.

Unless he has something bad to say about the Terramax , it will be my next truck tire. Wish I had looked into them before I bought my present tires , the Toyo AT2's. Been happy with the Toyos's, but IMO the Sailuns are going to be as good a truck tire, at half the cost.

Oh!! well live ,and learn . Guys are still buying those expensive overrated G614's , old habits die hard .

civilengineer42
10-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Just my experience with Sailun Tires. I just came back in from 3400mi round trip from Magnolia Texas to Thurmont Maryland, and Thurmont to New Orleans back to Magnolia. I left with 110psi cold, second fuel stop I noticed some odd tread ware. I checked pressure with a tire that had roughly 700mi on it I was up to 125psi. I reduced back to 110psi, cold now about 95psi and the odd tread ware stopped. My 3721RL is 13250lbs empty, and I had maybe 1000lbs in cargo (Very Conservative) for a total of 14250lbs of the 16930 it is rated for......Just what I have noticed is the tire pressure will need to be adjusted by the total weight you are placing on them.....This was just my observation, and by no means the gospel......

PSFORD99
10-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Just my experience with Sailun Tires. I just came back in from 3400mi round trip from Magnolia Texas to Thurmont Maryland, and Thurmont to New Orleans back to Magnolia. I left with 110psi cold, second fuel stop I noticed some odd tread ware. I checked pressure with a tire that had roughly 700mi on it I was up to 125psi. I reduced back to 110psi, cold now about 95psi and the odd tread ware stopped. My 3721RL is 13250lbs empty, and I had maybe 1000lbs in cargo (Very Conservative) for a total of 14250lbs of the 16930 it is rated for......Just what I have noticed is the tire pressure will need to be adjusted by the total weight you are placing on them.....This was just my observation, and by no means the gospel......

I have been running mine at 95-100. total weight partially loaded was 12,720 on the scales, dry is supposedly 11800, GVWR is 15,500. Probably fully loaded haven't had it on the scales ,but around 13200-13400.

Anyway at that psi, and weight no abnormal wear on my Sailuns. Guessing haven't really kept track of the miles want to say around 4k.

The Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 is rated at 4400 @ 110 psi, I am running say the 13400 minus the pin weight , 20-25% I got around 3K pin weight. So 10,400 on the tires , or around 2600 on each. If I looked at a weight chart , I could probably run less then the 95-100, but so far everything seems to be working okay.

Dave10
11-19-2018, 11:03 PM
I had good luck with Goodyear. After they wore out, I installed Sailuns which seem to be holding up well and have a great reputation. The reason Goodyear's are more expensive is they pay for damage caused by blow outs. So they are like an insurance policy. Sailuns are for those who want to self insure against blow outs.

richfaa
11-20-2018, 07:58 AM
Personal choice . We use the G6 14's and have never had a problem.

Phil P
11-21-2018, 03:35 AM
Hi

3 days ago stopped to help a fellow with an SOB that had just blown a tire with only 1,300 miles on it and less than 60 days old. He will need a new fender. No other damage.

Make of tire SAILUN S637 side wall failure no sign of curb or FOD damage.

Phil P

mazboy
11-21-2018, 06:35 AM
PSFORD99. You are passing on errored information on the G614 tire. Yes, it does have problems, at times, but again the issue with Good Year was their G159, NOT the G614. READ:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/04/05/goodyear-motorhome-tires-may-have-caused-95-deaths-injuries-government-report-claims/488815002/

G159 issue.

If you don't care for the G614, that is fine, but the G614 tire does not have an issue.

PSFORD99
11-23-2018, 10:47 AM
PSFORD99. You are passing on errored information on the G614 tire. Yes, it does have problems, at times, but again the issue with Good Year was their G159, NOT the G614. READ:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/04/05/goodyear-motorhome-tires-may-have-caused-95-deaths-injuries-government-report-claims/488815002/

G159 issue.

If you don't care for the G614, that is fine, but the G614 tire does not have an issue.

All you have to do is google Goodyear G614 failures, and read. Granted they have improved , but they had a terrible reputation for blowouts. Only consolation is that Goodyear will pay for the damages under certain conditions.

I know nothing of the G159, never been in the market for them, but I was for the G614's ,and read plenty of reviews, so no I am not passing erroded information. I should have said they have improved, my bad . Do a search ,and you will still see issues with the G614's.

phillyg
11-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Hi......3 days ago stopped to help a fellow with an SOB that had just blown a tire with only 1,300 miles on it......Make of tire SAILUN S637 side wall failure no sign of curb or FOD damage......Phil P

That's the first anecdotal evidence of a Sailun failure I've heard of, and I frequent four RV forums. I'll keep it in mind.

PSFORD99
11-24-2018, 08:06 AM
Hi

3 days ago stopped to help a fellow with an SOB that had just blown a tire with only 1,300 miles on it and less than 60 days old. He will need a new fender. No other damage.

Make of tire SAILUN S637 side wall failure no sign of curb or FOD damage.

Phil P

I don't doubt the blowout, but how would you know that it showed no signs of curb or FOD damage, blowouts out are pretty messy, and don't leave a lot to look at .

AZ Traveler
11-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Seems like we are way off track of the OPs original questions.

CalandLinda
11-24-2018, 07:58 PM
This is going to be my opinion about the current Sailun LRG 16” tires. I don’t often write opinions but have been writing about trailer tires for about 15 years and have seen a lot of them come and go.

IMO Sailun has more experience with steel cased trailer tires than any other ST tire manufacturer - even GY, who built them first. GY’s steel cased trailer tires have always carried the LT prefix. They registered the trade mark, RST, for them, meaning Regional Service Trailer. For their first few years of service they had a terrible failure record. IMO a lot of that was due to improper inflation. When you’re hauling a big heavy trailer, its tires MUST be properly inflated in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations. Owners not having tire inflation equipment capable of providing the 110 PSI requirement for the tire or “airing down” for a better riding trailer (which even GY disapproves of) caused a lot of failures, I’m sure.

Sailun first built a LT235/85R16G “knock-off” equal to the GY tire. It was also a trailer tire with “for trailer service” on its sidewall. IMO they did that while they were experimenting with the soon to follow ST235/80R16G & ST235/85R16G registered sizes. Once they ironed out the design features and materials needed for the ST versions they built the molds. As many can attest, they are a success. Proving the China ST tire manufacturers do provide successful ST tires.

Green Ball has added a 15” steel cased tire to their Tow Master line-up. It’s the ST225/75R15F with a load capacity of 3195# at 95 PSI with a 75 MPH speed letter.

Phil P
11-25-2018, 04:04 AM
I don't doubt the blowout, but how would you know that it showed no signs of curb or FOD damage, blowouts out are pretty messy, and don't leave a lot to look at .

Hi

My qualifications:

I grew up in my father’s heavy equipment shop. Started working summers when about 14 and started managing the shop at 18.

That gives me 60 years experience in business that had to deal with tires of all descriptions.

My father went on to moving houses. We learned about tires and heavy loads.

I went from there to high speed tires carrying heavy loads think DC6 to 747.

I move from the ramp to quality control and obtained more training in forensics concerning “infant motility” of products like tires and hydraulic components.

At 65 and 250 lbs I retired and moved from behind the desk to the real world again.

For 5 years after tried to sell my airport but with the decline in the economy I still own it.

So at 70 I volunteered to help a large outfit that has a fairly large fleet of light duty trucks to large tracked equipment with their equipment reliability and maintenance cost.

I now weigh 200 lbs and fell better than I have for the last 20 years. The company has seen an 80% reduction in maintenance cost and a large improvement in equipment reliability.

As for the trailer tire.

I helped him put the spare on and then lead him to the local truck tire shop. Just as a note this tire shop sells the Sailun tires.

This tire failed the side wall the tread stayed intact this is the reason only the fender is destroyed no plumbing or other structure was effected.

Examination of the outside of the tire:

The outer layer of rubber on the sidewall had separated for ¾ of the diameter of the tire. The actual failed point was about 1/3 of the way from one end of what would have been a large elongated babble. There was not any evidence of a curb strike that results in deep gouges the run about a 45 degree angle from the tread area toward the rim. There was no steel cord that appeared cut like you would get when running over a foreign object on the road.

Examination of the inner part of the tire:

This had an interesting separation of the inner lining of the tire. The steel cords had failed like an overloaded winch cable fails the major portion of the wire strands where not frayed on the ends instead they were tapered down like the end of a needle but not to a point. This type of failure doesn’t happen from impact damage and is commonly seen on cabling that has been overloaded.

This tire has been shipped back to the manufacturer. The tire company says they commonly don’t get any information back about the determination they make.

Phil P

jeffba
11-25-2018, 05:29 AM
That'll teach you to wind up Phil :hide:

PSFORD99
11-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Hi

My qualifications:

I grew up in my father’s heavy equipment shop. Started working summers when about 14 and started managing the shop at 18.

That gives me 60 years experience in business that had to deal with tires of all descriptions.

My father went on to moving houses. We learned about tires and heavy loads.

I went from there to high speed tires carrying heavy loads think DC6 to 747.

I move from the ramp to quality control and obtained more training in forensics concerning “infant motility” of products like tires and hydraulic components.

At 65 and 250 lbs I retired and moved from behind the desk to the real world again.

For 5 years after tried to sell my airport but with the decline in the economy I still own it.

So at 70 I volunteered to help a large outfit that has a fairly large fleet of light duty trucks to large tracked equipment with their equipment reliability and maintenance cost.

I now weigh 200 lbs and fell better than I have for the last 20 years. The company has seen an 80% reduction in maintenance cost and a large improvement in equipment reliability.

As for the trailer tire.

I helped him put the spare on and then lead him to the local truck tire shop. Just as a note this tire shop sells the Sailun tires.

This tire failed the side wall the tread stayed intact this is the reason only the fender is destroyed no plumbing or other structure was effected.

Examination of the outside of the tire:

The outer layer of rubber on the sidewall had separated for ¾ of the diameter of the tire. The actual failed point was about 1/3 of the way from one end of what would have been a large elongated babble. There was not any evidence of a curb strike that results in deep gouges the run about a 45 degree angle from the tread area toward the rim. There was no steel cord that appeared cut like you would get when running over a foreign object on the road.

Examination of the inner part of the tire:

This had an interesting separation of the inner lining of the tire. The steel cords had failed like an overloaded winch cable fails the major portion of the wire strands where not frayed on the ends instead they were tapered down like the end of a needle but not to a point. This type of failure doesn’t happen from impact damage and is commonly seen on cabling that has been overloaded.

This tire has been shipped back to the manufacturer. The tire company says they commonly don’t get any information back about the determination they make.

Phil P

Well, after all that could it have been a manufacturing defect in your opinion ??????? Could all what you are describing happened because of the blowout, could the tire been run under inflated , loss of air etc etc etc .

PSFORD99
11-25-2018, 11:18 AM
That'll teach you to wind up Phil :hide:

I was just wondering what caused the failure, and what led to his conclusion , wow !!!

Phil P
11-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Hi

My opinion is it wasn’t FOD or a curb strike. I would lean towards a manufacturing defect. I would not think it would be under pressure maybe over pressure but the way the tire is made it would have to be way way over pressure so I doubt that.

When I did the aircraft tires I would report like I did this to you all and if the powers to be considered it prudent they would have me ship them the tire. I commonly never heard any more about it.

A lot of the large aircraft tires are inflated too much higher pressures than the truck tire. We had some failures while inflating them after installation. Inflation was performed with the tire and wheel in a substantial enclosure with vents at the roof line and was constructed so as to keep personnel completely out of the danger area. There wasn’t even a way to see the tire during inflation.

Phil P

phillyg
11-25-2018, 01:35 PM
......As for the trailer tire.

I helped him put the spare on and then lead him to the local truck tire shop. Just as a note this tire shop sells the Sailun tires......This tire has been shipped back to the manufacturer......Phil P

When you helped the guy, did you notice how big his FW was? Still, I'm going to mentally note this as the only reported Sailun failure on any of the forums I peruse.

CalandLinda
11-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Hi

A lot of the large aircraft tires are inflated too much higher pressures than the truck tire.

Phil P

Just a, for instance; While working with the F4B Phantom II aircraft ashore and aboard ship, the inflation pressures changed drastically. For shipboard operations the 22 ply tires were inflated to 500 PSI. Operating ashore the inflation pressures were reduced to 350 PSI.

During my time with the Phantom II the 22 ply tires were changed to a 22 ply rating tire. Less cotton fabric cord for the stronger Nylon cording.

PSFORD99
11-28-2018, 10:11 AM
When you helped the guy, did you notice how big his FW was? Still, I'm going to mentally note this as the only reported Sailun failure on any of the forums I peruse.

As I said , I have no doubt that a Sailun tire had a blowout, just in doubt to the cause. May never know, but like you its the first I have read about. There are plenty of them out there, and one is sure not going to change my opinion about them .