PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Travel

Ram Montana High Country
08-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Has anyone done a ferry trip with RV? Just saw there are several around US to ...

Loneoak
08-26-2018, 10:01 AM
Yes. We took the ferry from Port Angeles WA to Victoria BC last month, and then from Victoria to Vancouver BC. No issues at all.

We also took another previous RV to Newfoundland and back.

DQDick
08-26-2018, 10:10 AM
Here's an article that was on do it yourself RV today: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/ferry-rv-trips/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email

dhuhn
08-26-2018, 10:35 AM
You won’t have a problem, just bring your wallet it won’t be cheep!

mhs4771
08-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Some Ferries have a set price for up to a certain size, than an additional charge for each foot past that size. Can be expensive, but for some places, like Newfoundland, only way to get there is by Ferry.

Lenny K
08-26-2018, 11:10 AM
We live on Vancouver Island and it is expensive when you have to pay by the foot to take your Montana on or off of the Island, but that is part of RVing. I always enjoy the ferry trips.

Ram Montana High Country
08-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Thanks all - I saw the article in DYIRV. Thinking the ride itself might be fun once but not cheap. Possible might but the Michigan to Wisconsin ferry on the bucket list or the Nova Scotia … will see. Certainly the Alaska is out - $3000+ for the truck alone for 4 1/2 days.

Professor Steve
03-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Hello there,
We are planning a trip to Vancouver Island. Any suggestions? Thinking about a few nights in Victoria, then Nanaimo, then Campbell River.
Any thoughts?

DanandBrenda
03-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Bring your wallet not cheap make reservations there are a lot of big trucks that ride ferries. First come first served if you don't have reservations.

Loneoak
03-10-2019, 05:35 AM
We stayed at Fort Victoria RV Park. It is well located, but the sites are not large.

Dmcgrew
03-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Make a stop at Parksville, great RV park right on the beach, Sorry I can't recall the name. Tofino is a great day trip also, so much to see take lots of time as the ferry is expensive and must make the most of it!!:)

twindman
03-11-2019, 05:51 PM
I did the Victoria trip a while back. Forget the price, but yes, high. For the return trip (continuing on North to Canada) I noticed the Washington Ferry line had a sale for the month- half off!! So I went to Anacortes and then went thru customs again and then drove 20 miles to Canada for another customs check! I think I saved 80-$100, so an extra 30 minutes was well worth it to me.

Leftie Canuk
03-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Tom and Gail:
First, Victoria is quite nice for a visit for a couple of days. Fort Victoria RV park is handy, a bit noisy, and not cheap. If you can manage it, and can reserve, the nicest one is right across from Victoria, on the harbor. Small ferries can take you downtown and back all day (for a fee). This RV park is Salish Seaside RV Haven [https://www.salishseasidervhaven.com/]. Pricey but convenient, and as long as you like daytime float plane and helicopter noise, it's a convenient place.
Heading north, the best RV park is just at the entry to Nanaimo, Living Forest [www.livingforst.com]. There are others, but not as convenient or as well run.
If you make some of the side trips (Tofino, etc), and later head north, in Parksville is the Surfside RV resort. Once you get to Campbell River, there are quite a few, Salmon Point being nice, again on the ocean.
Generally speaking, many people don't realize how large Vancouver Island is, and how much scenery there is to enjoy. It has a wide variety of vegetation, topography, and settlements. Don't be put off by the higher-than-Mainland prices, as this is probably the once-around trip that most of us put on that Bucket List. Hint: top up your fuel tank in WA, close to but not at the last town before crossing into Canada.