PDA

View Full Version : Can we get rid of the DVD player?

mootana
05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Curious how many Montana owners still use the DVD player in their stereo. Comments are welcome, but please be sure to vote on the poll.

AZ Traveler
05-21-2018, 01:27 PM
To play movies of course, all areas we camp in do not support sat TV much less internet or cell access.

You obviously have not traveled to AK or you wouldn't ask the question. There are still Blockbuster stores in AK.

BiggarView
05-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Had to pick yes but do I need it? No. We still have DVDs and yeah we could stream or pull down from satellite TV.... Sometimes you just want to watch what you want to watch and it's only available to you on a DVD that you have. Ask me again in 5 years. A lot can happen in five years... if the last five years are any indication. LOL

Dave W
05-21-2018, 02:36 PM
On our last and SOB, I dumped the installed DVD player and installed a SONY home theater in its place. On this 5er, I'm waiting for the JENSEN POS to die completely. It's starting to act up and to extend the life some, installed a full power off toggle switch, mostly because it turns itself on at inopportune times even thought the alarm isn't set. Other control problems make it a challenge at times since it's never the same 'glitch'.

jeffba
05-21-2018, 02:50 PM
The bigger the camper, the more time DW spends with the entertainment system.

BB_TX
05-21-2018, 02:52 PM
I had to answer yes. We rarely watch a movie there anymore. But a few very short years ago when the grandkids were younger and sometimes traveled with us it was used much more often.

DQDick
05-21-2018, 09:18 PM
Yes for us. Neflex has a better selection of movies on disk than they do streaming. Even the Netfllex sales person pointed it out to me.

BuilderBob
05-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Yes we use are's all the time better we have a better selection of movies the cable or sat.

Ram Montana High Country
05-22-2018, 09:47 AM
Well - yes ditch the DVD but need Blue Ray - DW keeps telling me. Many spots we go have No Free TV and don't want to pay fees for remote access TV or internet

srnoyes
07-22-2018, 06:43 AM
It would be nice if they made a direct replacement with a blue ray player. I purchased a small Sony player and the cool thing with it is the streaming ability installed.

RKassl
07-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Wouldn't leave home without it.

scattershot
07-22-2018, 08:23 AM
It would be nice if they made a direct replacement with a blue ray player. I purchased a small Sony player and the cool thing with it is the streaming ability installed.

I have a Sony unit, and although it streams Netflix, etc. it doesn’t support closed captioning, amd seems to buffer constantly. Which model do you have? Do,you have the constant buffering with yours?

TennTom
08-13-2018, 12:47 PM
One would think by now they would come with BluRay. We have very few DVD's, mostly BR. The Furrion 3300 will do for now but rest assured, BR is coming.

packnrat
12-05-2019, 06:53 PM
i would like to see a multi disk cd player offered.

Eagleback
12-06-2019, 04:50 AM
We have the crappy Jensen with blue tooth. We replaced the speakers with better quality and now it sounds pretty good.

jsb5717
12-06-2019, 08:40 AM
At this point, yes, need to have a DVD player. The fact is that the OEM systems are junk. I'm on my 3rd Furrion, first 2 replaced under warranty. I've also got a small BluRay player that works great when I plug the HDMI into the TV and the RCA sound cables into the OEM system. It's a little redundant but works well.

For now I would rather carry a bunch of DVD's than pay extra for a large data plan or streaming service.

Theunz
12-06-2019, 09:17 AM
One would think by now they would come with BluRay. We have very few DVD's, mostly BR. The Furrion 3300 will do for now but rest assured, BR is coming.

Please don't remove the DVD player. By the way it is Blu Ray in mine.

GregN
12-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Up until this year, I used it a lot. If nothing was on that I wanted to watch or no park cable hook up. But this year I finally went satellite.

The DVD player I do have, is the original. It still works great.

jdarwin
12-07-2019, 10:19 PM
We have the crappy Jensen with blue tooth. We replaced the speakers with better quality and now it sounds pretty good.

What brand and model speakers? Ours are stock and sound terrible.

PNW Fireguy
12-07-2019, 10:23 PM
DVD players are on the same road as CD players. Streaming will end the medium, it's just a matter of time.

jeffba
12-08-2019, 06:07 AM
DVD players are on the same road as CD players. Streaming will end the medium, it's just a matter of time.

Agreed, but I would think the demographic that currently buys Montanas have an overwheming group that has spindles upon spindles of movies. So getting rid of it is a bit premature

PNW Fireguy
12-08-2019, 06:14 AM
If that is the case I would say it’s time to learn about ripping DVD’s. The space and weight savings alone would be worth the learning curve and software.

TennTom
12-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Only if they are like some of us that carry laptops. Not everyone does. Some may even wear tinfoil hats.:whistling:

Eagleback
12-10-2019, 01:35 PM
What brand and model speakers? Ours are stock and sound terrible.

Just about any that fits from wally world or amazon. mine are 5 1/4 inch 2 way. by about 2 inches deep there pioneer.

packnrat
12-10-2019, 01:55 PM
but costs will keep even cassette tapes alive,
heck i even have a 8 track stereo with record.
no tapes, has not been used in well over a decade.
but it is a very old unit, cabinet is made of wood, yes real wood. bought it at montgomery wards. at least 40 years back.
and the radio can pick up broadcasts better than a new computer stereo can, and thats with the cheap magnet antenna on the back of it. but the pot sound adj bar is having trouble.
so old does not always say bad.

AZ Traveler
12-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Agree once the internet is available everywhere. Still a lot of this country and Canada with no cell or internet capability. Satellite capability is extremely limited once you cross the border going north. Even no Sirius once you get north of southern AK.

srnoyes
01-04-2020, 07:23 PM
I have a Sony unit, and although it streams Netflix, etc. it doesn’t support closed captioning, amd seems to buffer constantly. Which model do you have? Do,you have the constant buffering with yours?
Don't know the model off the top of my head. Only problem I've had is not being able to agree to conditions when required by internet providers offering internet. With no browser you can't click on agree.

Docweems
01-05-2020, 03:16 PM
Still have the OEM Samsung that came with the unit new. We use it infrequently, but do like haveing it as an option. Mostuly use Sat TV-Dish and Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming movies and binge watching several TV series we enjoy.