PDA

View Full Version : We Don't Need No Stinkin' Balancing

phillyg
05-15-2018, 08:49 PM
Saw an RV towing a car on a dolly today. Left side dolly tire was bouncing up and down, and the shock was carried up to the car tire as I could see it moving up and down, too. Now, I suppose the tire could be out-of-round, but I'll bet it was out of balance.

I don't know why some folks don't balance dolly or trailer tires, or why some tire shops say they never balance trailer tires. Maybe they heard it from a friend of a friend's great-great grandfather.

K0LCB
05-16-2018, 05:38 AM
Some people believe if they don’t feel the vibration, it doesn’t happen

1retired06
05-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Agree, we have always balanced.

Dave W
05-16-2018, 09:16 AM
When I put new tires on this and the last 5er, was told that they "never balance trailer tires". Wrong! You WILL balance mine. A couple have 3-4 ounces which without would have been 'bouncy time' and the accompanying wear and tear on the RV. Maybe a utility trailer wont get balanced tires but any RV I own will since at 60 or so MPH, those are not supposed to bounce.

(Hmmmm - I wonder if that dolly had a tire with a bubble or tread starting to separate)

AZ Traveler
05-16-2018, 10:08 AM
More likely a bent wheel or bad tire than a simple lack of balance. Don't disagree that it is good to balance.

richfaa
05-16-2018, 10:23 AM
We have the RV tires balanced always have..End of story.

Eagleback
05-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Just make sure you Lug center balance and not the hub center like 90% of all tire places do.

mlh
05-16-2018, 12:55 PM
I balance all tires except my lawnmower and tractor. I can’t find any reason not to. It’s just common sense. If you got it use it.
Lynwood

jeffba
05-16-2018, 01:56 PM
I balance all tires except my lawnmower and tractor. I canít find any reason not to. Itís just common sense. If you got it use it.
Lynwood

Then you are not pushing your lawn mower fast enough!!!

mlh
05-16-2018, 02:08 PM
Then you are not pushing your lawn mower fast enough!!!

HaHa
I like that.
Lynwood

BuilderBob
05-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Always balance! They shake & Rattle enough going down the road like a earth quack and wind storm all at the same time. :fishing:

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 HC HM352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails

kdeiss
05-17-2018, 05:02 AM
Just make sure you Lug center balance and not the hub center like 90% of all tire places do.

What Eagleback is stating here is correct those reading this thread need to understand the two methods of balancing!

Dave W
05-17-2018, 05:08 AM
What Eagleback is stating here is correct those reading this thread need to understand the two methods of balancing!

100% correct - now just try to find a tire shop that can do this kind of balance. I couldn't so did the hub centric as my only choice. May not be perfect but it is close

jking
05-17-2018, 07:19 AM
Lug center vs hub center ? Difference? Why? ��

Dave W
05-17-2018, 07:58 AM

There may be no difference but it is due to machining operations tolerances. For the absolute best way to balance, the tire/wheel combo should be on the hub then the entire assembly balanced. You would also need to index that assembly if you take wheel off to ensure it is again reinstalled as balanced. Way more effort then needed on a trailer

Carl n Susan
05-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Here is some quick information about the difference.

Hub Centric Vs. Lug Centric. Hub Centric Wheels are centered by the center bore of the wheel and the hub flange. Lug centric wheels are centered by the torque of the lug bolts; rather than the center bore of the wheel and the hub flange. There are two distinct types of wheels found on today's cars and light trucks

The easiest way to tell the difference between the two designs is to look at the hub of a hub and wheel assembly. If the hole in the center of the wheel fits snugly against the hub, then it is hub-centric. If there is a gap between the center hole of the wheel and the hub, then it is lug-centric.

Many of today's aftermarket wheels are Lug Centric in design. The center hole of a Lug Centric wheel is not the true center. These wheels cannot be properly mounted and accurately balanced using the normal cone mounting system that came with your wheel balancer.

Many Lug Centric wheels may appear to be mounted correctly with the center cone system, but they cannot be accurately balanced. The wheel balancer will continue to either "chase weights" or the wheel will show signs of imbalance when re-mounted on the vehicle.

To ensure an accurate balance, Lug Centric wheels must be mounted on the balancer through their lug bolt pattern. Lug Centric wheels, when mounted on the vehicle, are centered by the torque of the lug bolts and not the center bore of the wheel.

The only way to properly balance Lug Centric is through their lug bolt pattern. This style wheel must be mounted to the computer balancer in the same manner as it is mounted on the vehicle...through the lug bolt pattern.

waynemoore
05-17-2018, 09:24 AM
2X what Carl said.

Carl, I just love how you cut out the bull and explain in detail.

Eagleback
05-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Lug Balancing if more common than you think. just call around. there are service centers out there. I found 2 places here in Naples.

dhenry3
05-30-2018, 02:34 PM
When a tire and wheel is mounted to a balancing machine for hub balancing, the adapters center the wheel for balancing. If it was not centered, it would move up and down as if out of round. Today's balancers will not let you continue if this is the case. I have been in the automotive for over fifty years and have yet to find a center hole in a rim of center. We use lug balance for the bigger truck tires only. You can also use bags of weight sand inside the tire. Never the less, all highway tires should be balanced.

scottz
06-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Lug centric is not an option for me. I called every tire shop within 100 miles. I found one that said they could do it, so I pulled all my wheels and headed down there. Found out their lug centric adapter would not work with my wheels and they balanced them hub centiric; told me when they were done.

They also said the same thing that Dennis said; only did it on big truck tires.

So, other than riding in the 5th wheel, how do you know if they are balanced?

powerhaulic
06-27-2018, 06:08 AM
Hubcentric can be fine if the technician is attentive enough to be sure the wheel runout is correct.
I have my own tire equipment and have not purchased a lugcentric adapter, they are several hundred dollars.
Sometimes it can take several mountings to get the wheel correctly mounted, but it can be done.
I always balance my trailer tires just to stay on point....lol

bshgto
06-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Local truck company wanted 22 dollars a tire for lug centric balancing. So best next solution is Centramatics, rebalances every time you move the trailer, can be used for multiple tire changes and can be moved to the next trailer you buy. Yes yes yes a little expensive but balance your tires twice and add in the hassle factor and add in the price of balancing the next set of tires lug centric, it`s cheap, always works no errors from Ted the tire guy on a hangover. Go to Centramatic.com for the Info