PDA

View Full Version : Sailun

Eagleback
03-30-2018, 10:52 AM
Looking at new tires for the Monty and everybody talks down to china bombs and so do we. So I'm looking at Sailun because there suppose to be the best, But doing some research I found that Sailun tires are made in china. Am i missing something? If you have Sailuns, can you look and see what country are there origin.

coachgrowl
03-30-2018, 11:05 AM
China.

AZ Traveler
03-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Made in China but they are quality tires with a proven track record.

DQDick
03-30-2018, 05:51 PM
They are quality tires from China and currently are being dumped in the US and that's why they are so much cheaper.

CaptnJohn
03-30-2018, 08:27 PM
They are quality tires from China and currently are being dumped in the US and that's why they are so much cheaper.

Not sure I would say "dumped" as they are higher priced than every other I looked at except the 2nd best at twice the price. Sailun has the best reputation of all and at $150 - $175 are well above all others except 2nd best. 2nd best is still surviving on brand loyalty as they are good and were the only good tires for heavy 5ers until about 7 years ago.

richfaa
03-31-2018, 09:19 AM
Might want to google "are sailun tires being dumped in the USA" also the new tariff laws will have a effect on pricing . Sailun may be a very good tire that is artificially being kept at a low price.

When we get home we are going to a large tire chain to see if they can get balance and install Sailun tires. What bothers me is when a product is half the price of another comparable product i need to understand why.

CaptnJohn
03-31-2018, 09:59 AM
Might want to google "are sailun tires being dumped in the USA" also the new tariff laws will have a effect on pricing . Sailun may be a very good tire that is artificially being kept at a low price.

When we get home we are going to a large tire chain to see if they can get balance and install Sailun tires. What bothers me is when a product is half the price of another comparable product i need to understand why.

GY is twice the price for a few reasons. Until 7 - 8 years ago they were the only decent tire around. They also have to charge the approximately $125 per tire as insurance to pay the claims they promise to pay. Have to mention some have had very good luck with them and do not mind twice the price for 2nd best.

richfaa
03-31-2018, 10:35 AM
GY is twice the price for a few reasons. Until 7 - 8 years ago they were the only decent tire around. They also have to charge the approximately $125 per tire as insurance to pay the claims they promise to pay. Have to mention some have had very good luck with them and do not mind twice the price for 2nd best.

Could that then mean that Sailun may not have good customer service.We know GY does . I for one will pay the extra but there is no evidence that GY G614 is second best. I will give Sailun a preliminary "as good as " A dealer that handles the Sailun is a good place for information on the service offered and the durability.I also wonder why so many dealers do not handle the tire as they have been around long enough.

Check shows that Wall mart handles Sailun tires and can order what you want. There is a Sailun tire dealer in Medina ,Ohio not to far from our S&B. We will visit them when we return.

WeBeFulltime
03-31-2018, 03:48 PM
When it comes to quality I don't feel that either is playing "second fiddle" to the other. Presently I would buy the Sailuns because of cost but if the tables turned I would buy the 614s.
BTW, most any independent tire dealer can get the S637s in 24-48 hours and in many cases overnight. Doesn't have to be a Sailun dealer.

Texan
03-31-2018, 04:27 PM
Could that then mean that Sailun may not have good customer service.We know GY does . I for one will pay the extra but there is no evidence that GY G614 is second best. I will give Sailun a preliminary "as good as " A dealer that handles the Sailun is a good place for information on the service offered and the durability.I also wonder why so many dealers do not handle the tire as they have been around long enough.

Check shows that Wall mart handles Sailun tires and can order what you want. There is a Sailun tire dealer in Medina ,Ohio not to far from our S&B. We will visit them when we return.
You can get a set from Simple Tire for 552.19 delivered to your door or to an tire dealer locally that can install them for you. Just check with an tire dealer you prefer and see if they will accept delivery or Simple Tire has a list of tire dealers in your area they know will take delivery and install for you. The price i stated is for 235x85x16 tires. I have the same 3402 model you have and this is what fits perfectly. This 10% off sale is thru April 4th but they come on sale i think often.Most tire dealers will hold them till you get back.

Dam Worker
03-31-2018, 04:53 PM
There are a lot of Sailun threads that are very lengthy on this forum. Before I bought mine I did a lot of research online. The only blowout that I could document from a Sailun tire was used on a dual rear wheel pickup truck and the tire was rated for trailer use only. I think Goodyear makes good tires at least G614's some of there other's not so good, but if you Google it you will find lots of threads talking about blowouts. As stated before good year has been willing to help with repair costs either partially or fully for damage done to peoples trailers. I was amazed at the actual weight per tire compared to the Trail Kings that I took off of my Montana. So far I have had no problem with the Sailun tires other than I think they ride quite a bit stiffer with the higher air pressure rating. The great thing about America as you can buy whichever brand you prefer.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty

masterdrago
03-31-2018, 06:16 PM
When it comes to quality I don't feel that either is playing "second fiddle" to the other. Presently I would buy the Sailuns because of cost but if the tables turned I would buy the 614s.
BTW, most any independent tire dealer can get the S637s in 24-48 hours and in many cases overnight. Doesn't have to be a Sailun dealer. My local Discount Tire will not get them for me. When I was considering the Solitude and their Westlake tires, I checked around our local. Nobody would order them. When I need to replace the Sailun tires on our Montana, Will look to Simpletire.com.

richfaa
03-31-2018, 06:43 PM
We actually have a Dealer nearby who is a sailun dealer . They would have experience with the durability, Reliability and the service provided by Sailun. I will give them a call Monday to see how long they have sold sailuns and what their experience is with them.

If Sailun's prove to be "as good as " the G614 I will have no problem in purchasing them. Excuse me if I do not rely on post on face book or other social media as the determining factor on the quality of the tire.

BTW our G614's are in excellent condition.We have plenty of thread left and the wear is even which I contribute to the Mor Ryde IS system. We will as usual have them expected by a professional for any signs of dry rot or other issues.We do that every year.The G6 14 were built in April 2013 and have about 45K on them. We have slowed down in recent years.The result of the inspection will determine the need for new tires.

Carl n Susan
03-31-2018, 09:35 PM
No matter how good that Goodyear warrantee might be for the 614's, it ends after 4 years from the manufactured date on the sidewall. Ask me how I know.

WeBeFulltime
04-01-2018, 05:02 AM
My local Discount Tire will not get them for me. When I was considering the Solitude and their Westlake tires, I checked around our local. Nobody would order them. When I need to replace the Sailun tires on our Montana, Will look to Simpletire.com.

That surprises me. Last summer before we upgraded from our 2012 Montana I checked 3 independent dealers in Chattanooga area and all 3 could have the Sailuns "next day" but of course we are only 2 hours from Atlanta.

CaptnJohn
04-01-2018, 08:37 AM
That surprises me. Last summer before we upgraded from our 2012 Montana I checked 3 independent dealers in Chattanooga area and all 3 could have the Sailuns "next day" but of course we are only 2 hours from Atlanta.

We are 2 hours from no big city. Actually, closer to 3 1/2 hours away and he says he can get any tire in any size overnight, just has more than one supplier to use. My dealer had them next day as well. Four were 3 months old and 1 was 4 months old.

phillyg
04-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Perhaps no info exists for Sailun after purchase service since no one's had a claim (that we know of). When I purchased from simpletire, they had installers in my area listed on the site. I had the tires delivered to the selected installer.

richfaa
04-01-2018, 03:20 PM
The place to ask for info on after purchase service is Sailun. I intend to do that.

AZ Traveler
04-01-2018, 07:15 PM
My local discount tire could order some Sailun tires but not the ones we are looking for. They were happy to mount the tire I bought from Simple Tire. I got a nail in the old one too close to the sidewall to fix.

BuilderBob
04-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Just ordered Sailun's yesterday should be here thursday.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails

Golfmedik
04-02-2018, 03:00 AM
No matter how good that Goodyear warrantee might be for the 614's, it ends after 4 years from the manufactured date on the sidewall. Ask me how I know.

I was told the same when talking to GY after my 614 blew a fist sized hole in the sidewall. However, GY did send me a check for half the price of the tire that blew out even though the cause was undetermined. That helped as my rig is only two years old and has 614s on it.
Now about the Sailun S637s being made in China. Yes they are, but they are the only Chinese tire that meets BOTH the US import and export specs. Most only meet the import as oddly as it sounds. That being said, make sure you have the clearance between the tires you will need as one size of the Sailuns are taller than the other and may decrease the gap between the tires for those that use X-chocks. Most people do not realize that Sailun S637s now come in two sizes. 235/80/16 and 235/85/16..
Attached is the load chart of you would like to see them.

Eagleback
04-02-2018, 04:28 AM
I was told the same when talking to GY after my 614 blew a fist sized hole in the sidewall. However, GY did send me a check for half the price of the tire that blew out even though the cause was undetermined. That helped as my rig is only two years old and has 614s on it.
Now about the Sailun S637s being made in China. Yes they are, but they are the only Chinese tire that meets BOTH the US import and export specs. Most only meet the import as oddly as it sounds. That being said, make sure you have the clearance between the tires you will need as one size of the Sailuns are taller than the other and may decrease the gap between the tires for those that use X-chocks. Most people do not realize that Sailun S637s now come in two sizes. 235/80/16 and 235/85/16..

Ok. I see the chart has different load sets. I have a 2014 Mountaineer 331 rlt. I am assuming that the rim that came on this unit is only rated to 80 PSI. cold so i would be ok to still get these tires even if i cant get them to 110PSI? And it shows an (E) after the weight am I to assume its reducing the G rated to E if i can only get to 80 PSI?

Golfmedik
04-02-2018, 05:15 AM
Ok. I see the chart has different load sets. I have a 2014 Mountaineer 331 rlt. I am assuming that the rim that came on this unit is only rated to 80 PSI. cold so i would be ok to still get these tires even if i cant get them to 110PSI? And it shows an (E) after the weight am I to assume its reducing the G rated to E if i can only get to 80 PSI?

That would be correct. The inside of your rims(usually on the spokes) will be stamped "110PSI" if they are compatible with that load range. If they are 6 lug wheels, most are not capable, but if 8 lug, then very possible. Either way I would still put in metal valve stems as the rubber ones tend to fail more these days. Plus, they are required for 110psi as rubber ones are only rated for 80psi tires.

Eagleback
04-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Is it seen with the wheel on or would i have to remove it?

richfaa
04-02-2018, 09:07 AM
The Chines have always made some good tires however our RV manufacturers chose to use the lowest priced tire they could find
My concern is why the Sailun tire if as good as or better than the G614 is almost half the price.

BiggarView
04-02-2018, 09:56 AM
Could it be that the descriptor of "as good or better than the G614" might include the fact that the tire is also cheaper to buy. Physical attributes are but one evaluating criteria, price would be another. Each gets "points" in the purchase process and could thus be "awarded a subjective phrase like "as good or better" when the whole is considered. Some people would take points off just because the tire is made in China. To each, his or her own.

Texan
04-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Your chart shows maximun 4080 pounds at 110 psi . The tires now have 4400 pounds at 110 psi. I guess Sailun has not updated there chart yet.

Golfmedik
04-02-2018, 10:26 AM
Is it seen with the wheel on or would i have to remove it?

Some can be seen without removing the wheels, but it would have to positioned just right to see it.

Golfmedik
04-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Your chart shows maximun 4080 pounds at 110 psi . The tires now have 4400 pounds at 110 psi. I guess Sailun has not updated there chart yet.

No one I know of has a different chart out yet. I searched a couple of weeks ago when we put new ones on a friend's Sandpiper and could not find one. I did find this even though it it not a load chart, just a max.

CaptnJohn
04-02-2018, 11:07 AM

235/80/16 is at 4080 and 235/85/16 is at 4400#

PSFORD99
04-05-2018, 11:21 AM
The Chines have always made some good tires however our RV manufacturers chose to use the lowest priced tire they could find
My concern is why the Sailun tire if as good as or better than the G614 is almost half the price.

IMO that is the beauty of it all.

From your concerns, and peace of mind, you would probably would be better off with the Goodyears.

I replaced the G614's last year without hesitation with the Sailuns, without the slightest concern.

Jon Susn
04-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Hello all,
Need some info please about the sailun tires but I知 a little confused :confused: I have a 17 Montana 3661 RL with 2 axles. There is 2 tires per axle. 4 tires total. They are the sailun s637 235 80 r 16. I have the stock suspension on the 5er I believe it is the 3000 moryde? I do not know the weight on each tire but empty weight of 5er is 13200 give or take a few pounds and the GVW is 16600 give or take. I have looked up the sailun chart and searched on this forum and it calls for 110 psi per tire. Is this a standard psi to run in each tire or will it vary depending on how much the 5er weighs at the time? I知 not sure total weight of 5er at this time but it should be well below the GVWR. What would you guys and girls on this forum run for psi in your tires if you were in the same tire as me.
Just looking to find out what psi to run in them.
Thanks for all the help and replies
Jon and suns

CaptnJohn
04-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Hello all,
Need some info please about the sailun tires but I知 a little confused :confused: I have a 17 Montana 3661 RL with 2 axles. There is 2 tires per axle. 4 tires total. They are the sailun s637 235 80 r 16. I have the stock suspension on the 5er I believe it is the 3000 moryde? I do not know the weight on each tire but empty weight of 5er is 13200 give or take a few pounds and the GVW is 16600 give or take. I have looked up the sailun chart and searched on this forum and it calls for 110 psi per tire. Is this a standard psi to run in each tire or will it vary depending on how much the 5er weighs at the time? I知 not sure total weight of 5er at this time but it should be well below the GVWR. What would you guys and girls on this forum run for psi in your tires if you were in the same tire as me.
Just looking to find out what psi to run in them.
Thanks for all the help and replies
Jon and suns

The Sailun you mention have a 4080# per tire at 110 psi. I would run that. I have the 235/85 with a 4400# rating at 110 psi. I run them at 100#. Sailun provides a weight/psi chart available stating the 235/80 can be run as low as 80# psi and would equal a LR E tire instead of LR G.

Jon Susn
04-05-2018, 12:13 PM
The Sailun you mention have a 4080# per tire at 110 psi. I would run that. I have the 235/85 with a 4400# rating at 110 psi. I run them at 100#. Sailun provides a weight/psi chart available stating the 235/80 can be run as low as 80# psi and would equal a LR E tire instead of LR G.

Thanks for the response but what you said is exactly what is so darned confusing. At 4080 rating per tire does that mean total weight of 16320 tires should be 110. If yours are 4400 why do you run 100 psi. If my GVWR is 16600 and I知 at full weight wouldn稚 my tires in total be overloaded?
4080 times 4 = 16320. Should I adjust my psi based on total loaded 5er weight or just run them at 110 all the time?
I know this sounds like a dumb question but just trying to wrap my head around all this and run the best safest psi to get the longest life I can from the tires
Thanks for your reply

twindman
04-05-2018, 12:21 PM
You are forgetting to subtract pin weight from the GVWR. So axles really only carry about 16600 x 85% max.

AZ Traveler
04-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Jon,

You need to subtract pin weight from your total trailer weight to determine how much weight you are putting on your axles and tires. If your GVWR is 16600 and you have a hypothetical pin weight of 3000 then your are only putting 13600 on the tires. The weight on individual tires will also vary some depending on how you load your trailer. There is no real downside of running 110 psi vs something a little lower. I would inflate yours to 110.

phillyg
04-05-2018, 12:34 PM
......RV manufacturers chose to use the lowest priced tire they could find......why the Sailun tire if as good as or better than the G614 is almost half the price.

I think this has been discussed in the various Sailun threads. As I understand the history, the 637 was an all-position tire (with a different label) typically used in the delivery service industry. For import purposes (and probably financial, too), the tire was rebadged as an ST tire, and because it's labeled thusly, it has to conform to US standards that it only be used for trailers. If you look closely at the tire, it looks very similar to typical light truck highway tread tires.

Another reason the tire is priced low, and this is my opinion only, is that Sailun is trying to make a dent in ST tire sales. One might call it dumping. Based on what I've seen, and the fact there has not been one single anecdotal complaint about Sailun tires, they're selling a lot of tires. I'll bet we start to see the price go up in 2019.

Jon Susn
04-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Jon,

You need to subtract pin weight from your total trailer weight to determine how much weight you are putting on your axles and tires. If your GVWR is 16600 and you have a hypothetical pin weight of 3000 then your are only putting 13600 on the tires. The weight on individual tires will also vary some depending on how you load your trailer. There is no real downside of running 110 psi vs something a little lower. I would inflate yours to 110.

Thanks to all that replied. I did not know to subtract pin weight from total weight. 110 per tire for me. Thanks again for all the replies. This forum has been very helpful to Susan and I as basically newbies with a 5er and I appreciate all the help

CaptnJohn
04-05-2018, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the response but what you said is exactly what is so darned confusing. At 4080 rating per tire does that mean total weight of 16320 tires should be 110. If yours are 4400 why do you run 100 psi. If my GVWR is 16600 and I知 at full weight wouldn稚 my tires in total be overloaded?
4080 times 4 = 16320. Should I adjust my psi based on total loaded 5er weight or just run them at 110 all the time?
I know this sounds like a dumb question but just trying to wrap my head around all this and run the best safest psi to get the longest life I can from the tires
Thanks for your reply

No, not any dumb questions. I run mine at 100 because I have the 85 and not the 80. If I had the 80 I would run them at 110. The 85 at 100 is about the same as the 80 at 110. I'd run them at 110 all the time. They run cooler and have less sidewall flex at 110 cold. Best wear and strength at full psi

Eagleback
04-05-2018, 03:56 PM
Ok. Just looked at the rims and there isnt a max psi. Only a weight and it says 3750 max load the rims are oem aluminum 8 lug 7 spoke. So 3750 max means 110 psi? So ok to go too sailuns?

Fireater99
04-05-2018, 04:12 PM
You won't be disappointed!! We love ours and have had no issues.

PSFORD99
04-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Ok. Just looked at the rims and there isnt a max psi. Only a weight and it says 3750 max load the rims are oem aluminum 8 lug 7 spoke. So 3750 max means 110 psi? So ok to go too sailuns?

I am going a out on a limb here, but yes ,your rims should be rated for 110 psi. At one time the Sailuns were rated for 3750 @ 110 psi, and were also called an LT tire, instead of the now ST tire. They are now rated for 4080 for the ST 235/80/16, and 4400 for the ST 235/85/16 , both ratings @ 110 psi.

IMO , the Sailun is a great choice.

Texan
04-05-2018, 08:10 PM
At 3750 pounds your wheels are rated at 110 psi.As for as psi per tire, you could go by the chart but the advantage to 110 psi is you will have less friction on the road which means less heat and heat is the biggest cause of blow-outs on the road. 100 psi is probably the least i would go with and you might get a slight increase in ride quality as the tires will flex a little. I don't worry about my tires wearing out faster with more air as my tires will probably time out before they wear out. This is my 2nd set and they wear great. As for as China dumping them on the U.S. market, The tires i bought in February were cheaper than when i bought them in March 2014. With the possibility of a trade war with China we could very well have these tires increase in price even before 2019.

BuilderBob
04-05-2018, 08:54 PM
Mine will be here tomorrow going on next week!

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails

STIHLNTIME
04-05-2018, 09:02 PM
After reading all the reviews here and on other sites I took my Montana in Tuesday for a set of Sailun's. I just picked up my new Montana last month and was surprised it did not come with them. I will use the take off's on a farm implement trailer that doesn't see paved roads. The last thing I wanted to have is tire trouble on our trip to Tetons. Yellowstone, Glacier and back down to Chama NM this summer before heading home. Thanks for all the positive reviews.