PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Tire Gauge

RoadRunnerTR21
12-29-2017, 05:54 AM
Any recommendations on a accurate heavy duty tire gauge. I need a dual chuck gauge for my dually that can read over 120 PSI. It does not have to be cheap. I want good quality and accurate readings.

waynemoore
12-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Stop by the nearest truck stop. Bet you can find one there.

rmthelen
12-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Milton is the only gauge that I found to be a quality product and, it is made in USA.

DQDick
12-29-2017, 11:02 AM
I bought mine at a Flying J.

drjjj
12-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Tire Minder makes a good one. Love mine.

richfaa
12-29-2017, 02:21 PM
We have 3 quality tire gauges they all read a different psi according to our TPMS.

PSFORD99
12-30-2017, 10:01 AM
We have 3 quality tire gauges they all read a different psi according to our TPMS.

I have one conventional tire gauge , that I have had for years. Always wondered how accurate it was, I used different gauges to see, and they all read different. It's getting to the point its so old that the numbers are wearing off. My new truck with the TPMS reads the exact pressure I set my tires with that old gauge. I can only assume that both are right, or both are wrong. :)

I have had it so long, I don't remember where it came from, but it matches the truck readings, so I am okay with that. Would love to find another like it, its the style you can put in shirt pocket with a clip like a pen. The stem comes out on pressure to read.

To the OP , hopefully you will get one that matches the truck reading, all gauges are not created equal.

RoadRunnerTR21
12-30-2017, 10:07 AM
I agree with you that all gauges are not equal. Right now I'm leaning towards the Milton Industries S-577A gauge. On another note I just picked up a portable Porter 150 PSI compressor at Lowes for $99. I'll carry that with me when we are on the road. It weighs 30 LBS.

WeBeFulltime
12-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Milton is the only gauge that I found to be a quality product and, it is made in USA.

This retired trucker agrees with this!

PSFORD99
12-30-2017, 10:49 AM
This retired trucker agrees with this!

Regardless of gauge ,how does one know if they are truly accurate, I only assume mine is because it matches my truck reading, but without that or some monitoring system, how does one really know.

On the same note, does it really matter whether the gauge is off within reason, say within 5psi ????

PSFORD99
12-30-2017, 10:58 AM
That Milton should be a pretty good gauge with a price tag of $70.

WeBeFulltime
12-30-2017, 12:01 PM
That Milton should be a pretty good gauge with a price tag of $70.

You might want to reread the OP. :popcorn: When someone says they want the best and money not an issue I believe them!

PSFORD99
12-30-2017, 12:28 PM
You might want to reread the OP. :popcorn: When someone says they want the best and money not an issue I believe them!

My question was not what it cost , although as said , it should be a good one. My question is how do we know how accurate they are.

I read the OP just fine the first time, and also may add ,he mentioned accurate. Now if you have an answer to that ,I would be more then happy to listen to it.

dieselguy
12-30-2017, 05:58 PM
I'd guess unless you went to a lab and got the gauge certified, the 5 psi or so statement would meet any of our needs. Go to about any tire store and take a gander at what is used to gauge the inflation pressure. Most all of them look like something that survived a plane crash after being banged around, dropped, run over by customer tires, or even used to bang on a weight. I will say some tire machines have an internal permanently mounted gauge, but again who knows?

PSFORD99
12-30-2017, 07:36 PM
I'd guess unless you went to a lab and got the gauge certified, the 5 psi or so statement would meet any of our needs. Go to about any tire store and take a gander at what is used to gauge the inflation pressure. Most all of them look like something that survived a plane crash after being banged around, dropped, run over by customer tires, or even used to bang on a weight. I will say some tire machines have an internal permanently mounted gauge, but again who knows?

I agree, and that was pretty much my point. I have a gauge I don't even remember where I got it, its that old, and for the many years that I have had it , like I said had no idea how accurate it was. Measured it with similar gauges, and none ever matched the same.

I have a Psiclops air inflater that has two air lines ,so you can inflate two tires at the same time, with a built in dial gauge . It has never matched the old gauge that I use. If I do use the Psiclops, I adjust using my old gauge . Most of the time I just use the old gauge ,and one tire at a time.

As said in previous post, the old gauge I use matches the OEM tire monitoring system on my truck.

My advice to the OP if has the OEM tire monitor. Then any gauge would work, if you want to go by whats reading on the screen . If they don't match, adjust accordingly by the truck monitor. IMO this doesn't have be hard, or spending $70 on a simple device such as a tire gauge.

A cheap gauge ,and OEM tire monitor, serves me well, and I probably got lucky ,as they match. I don't have a clue if either is accurate, but it works for me.

Maybe someone can chime in here that knows just how accurate these truck tire
systems are .[?]

Texan
12-30-2017, 09:15 PM
I have the Milton s-986 which has 0-160 psi.This is much heavier than the standard tire gauges. You can buy it on Amazon for 19.90 or order it at a number of other sites such as Wal-mart or O'reilly auto parts. Milton makes great gauges and air-inflators. This is American made and most likely will be the last one you buy .

jeffba
12-31-2017, 05:22 AM
Studying for my Class A license and the book states that the dial gauges are more accurate than the stick gauges.

RoadRunnerTR21
12-31-2017, 05:49 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered the Milton Industries S-577A gauge yesterday and should get it next week. The one thing I really like about this gauge is that you can air the tires and see the pressure at the same time. If you over fill you can bleed the excess pressure. This can all be done without disconnecting from the valve stem. This comes in real handy when your are dealing with dual rear wheels. I'll check the accuracy next week. Both the truck and car have digital read outs for tire pressure. I haven't put the TST 507 sensors on the coach yet but when I do they will have a digital read out as well. I'll report what I find.

gkonney
12-31-2017, 06:15 AM
I bought this digital Astro Inflator after seeing my Ford Mechanic using his that he bought from Snap-On. I would not be without it! We have a pancake Compressor we keep in our basement with a 50' hose so we can also assist others.
https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Digital-Pressure-Inflator-Stainless/dp/B002PUTC0M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1514725954&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=astro+3018&psc=1

JandC
12-31-2017, 06:22 AM
I've had a small digital tire gauge for several years that has been very accurate. What I like about it is I can check everything from bicycle tires to my MH's 22.5" tires and it give me the exact digital reading.

PSFORD99
01-01-2018, 10:03 AM
I've had a small digital tire gauge for several years that has been very accurate. What I like about it is I can check everything from bicycle tires to my MH's 22.5" tires and it give me the exact digital reading.

I keep hearing this very accurate thing, and how do you know how accurate it is, did you get it calibrated.:confused:

In my working days, I had instruments that had be calibrated . micrometers, torque wrenches etc. They do not stay calibrated. I can't see where a digital air gauge would either, so claiming accuracy, it would need calibration .

scottz
01-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Regardless of gauge ,how does one know if they are truly accurate, ????

Man with one watch always knows what time it is; Man with two watches is never sure.

PSFORD99
01-02-2018, 08:22 AM
Man with one watch always knows what time it is; Man with two watches is never sure.

Yes, and ignorance is bliss.

RoadRunnerTR21
01-02-2018, 08:51 AM
The gauge is due to be delivered today. I'll check it against 2 of my vehicles that have tire pressure read out on the driver's display and post my findings.

PSFORD99
01-02-2018, 09:17 AM
The gauge is due to be delivered today. I'll check it against 2 of my vehicles that have tire pressure read out on the driver's display and post my findings.

I will be interesting to know. I feel pretty confident that my truck reading is accurate, but I still have no way to know. As said I have an old stick gauge that almost matches to the psi, and it never vary's .

PSFORD99
01-05-2018, 09:00 AM
To the OP , curious to how that new gauge worked out.

RoadRunnerTR21
01-05-2018, 09:45 AM
I have only used it on the car thus far and the gauge and the tire readout matched to within 1 PSI. I still need to perform the same operation on the truck. The pressures on the truck are more than double the car. I'll certainly post those results when I get them. Maybe tomorrow. My last test will be to add the TST 507 sensors to the coach and run the tires up to 110 PSI and see how that matches up.

I want to note that I ordered the Milton S-577A on Amazon. However they shipped the more expensive S-578A. The only difference I can tell is that the dual chuck on the 578 has both ends offset where the 577 chuck has one end inline and the other end is offset.

My only "complaint" is that I need to wear my cheaters to read the gauge when I'm setting a odd numbered pressure because the gauge uses 2 PSI increments. It's hard to read between the lines. ;)

gkonney
01-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Should have gotten the Digital that I mentioned...I can't see anything in front of me less than arms length!!

Mr Pachu
01-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Should have gotten the Digital that I mentioned...I can't see anything in front of me less than arms length!!

It seems like a nice gauge but wouldn't work on a dually.

RoadRunnerTR21
01-06-2018, 11:51 AM
I just aired up my 6 truck tires using the new gauge. The 4 rear tires were set at 65 PSI. The front 2 tires were set at 75 PSI. When I fired the truck up and read the truck's tire monitor values 2 of the back tires read 65 PSI and the other 2 were within 1 PSI. The front tires where within 2 PSI. This is way more accurate than the other gauge I was using. So far I am happy with the purchase. The last thing is to install the TST 507 system. I'm going to wait until the slides come in before doing that.

PSFORD99
01-06-2018, 12:17 PM
I just aired up my 6 truck tires using the new gauge. The 4 rear tires were set at 65 PSI. The front 2 tires were set at 75 PSI. When I fired the truck up and read the truck's tire monitor values 2 of the back tires read 65 PSI and the other 2 were within 1 PSI. The front tires where within 2 PSI. This is way more accurate than the other gauge I was using. So far I am happy with the purchase. The last thing is to install the TST 507 system. I'm going to wait until the slides come in before doing that.

Good to hear.

My 2014 Ram 3500 sticker is 60 Front 80 back

I run 60 front ,80 back towing fifth wheel

I run 60 front ,50 back unloaded

RoadRunnerTR21
01-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Mine says 75 front. On the back I tow with 80 but back down to 65 when empty. I like to have my teeth stay in place. :lol:

masterdrago
02-01-2018, 11:20 AM
I have the Milton 577A, also a $15 TG-160 and numerous other el-cheapo analog styles including several freebies from Discount tire. Non use batteries. They all read within 1PSI of one another and agree to within one PSI of my TST 507. The TG-160 is so much more easy to use and read on the dully and stores in the glove box. Non are calibrated. The only tool I want calibrated is my torque wrench and my Freon scale that measures in 1/10th of an ounce.

RoadRunnerTR21
03-04-2018, 09:42 AM
I thought I would report back on the Milton S-578A tire gauge now that I have the TST 507 installed. To get the TST 507 to read 110 PSI using the Milton gauge I had to inflate to 112 PSI. So a +2 PSI is not bad. I've got a Slime dial double chuck gauge that reads 115 PSI so it's +5 PSI off. All of this is assuming that the TST is accurate.

masterdrago
03-16-2018, 07:08 PM
One of the things I've noticed about the pencil gauges is that if you jam it on the tire valve it will always jump out and read higher than if you slowly push it on the valve. I wander why one could not use an old gauge off a Freon charging set. They are reliable and accurate.
https://i.imgur.com/lJ4pS7n.jpg

twindman
03-18-2018, 01:49 PM
My Truck read outs always show the front right about 3 psi above the gauge. The others are within 1 psi of the gauge.
I inflated the Mountaineer with a new charger/compressor thing a few weeks ago. I set it at 80 psi. When done, I check with a digital gauge. Read out was 2 psi less. So I bumped things up and got 80 on the gauge. Then I put the TST on it. It read another 2 psi down. So compressor was 82, gauge was 80, and TST was 78!!!!

topjustice
03-18-2018, 01:54 PM
I recently purchased this one. Haven't tried it yet but it had decent reviews and wasn't that expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07868J9Q5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1