PDA

View Full Version : Please vote: Do you want Wifi in your next fifth wheel

mootana
12-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Do you want a 3G Wifi antenna on your next fifth wheel?

Recently OEM have started to offer a Wifi antenna. This is different from the Wifi boosters that have been offered in the past, like the wifi ranger. The new wifi antenna allows you to connect a 3G service from a cellular carrier like Verizon. Yes, there would be a month charge. The performance would only be as good as the cellular signal at your location. This would allow you to stream content, like movies. It also allows you to access the Internet when your campground does not provide wifi.

Any comments would be great, please be sure to also vote.
This poll will be open for 120 days.

mlh
12-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Don’t care. We carry a Verizon Mifi.
Lynwood

WeBeFulltime
12-10-2017, 12:40 PM
No, I use the Mobley and it works just fine.

richfaa
12-10-2017, 03:07 PM
3G is slow. We use Verizon MiFi. If OEM it will probably be of low quality.

Drifty1
12-10-2017, 04:06 PM
No. As I believe the factory would install low quality parts and try and convince you are good to go with WiFi on board. I would rather have a wire chase from the roof to the front storage “Solar” and a chase from Pinbox to front storage “hardwired backup camera”. If the factory installs wiring most likely it would be undersized for me.

mtlakejim
12-10-2017, 04:31 PM
No. We wifi off of our smartphones for our limited use. We are weekend warriors and could not justify another monthly bill for occasional use (same issue we have with getting sat. TV).

jeffba
12-10-2017, 05:00 PM
one size fits all 3G hotspot. Nope. Tech like that ages too quickly for a factory install that would be hard to upgrade/replace. Poll questions are poorly written.

Carl n Susan
12-10-2017, 06:03 PM
As I read the question, he is asking about an antenna not the WiFi service itself. Why would I want an antenna for the deprecated 3G signal? No way! If it were 4G (or 5G) compatible maybe for some but most of us already have our own solutions.

Why isn't there a "No" answer available??? I wonder what this poll is really about.

mhs4771
12-10-2017, 06:03 PM
We run a Verizon MiFi Hot Spot also

cpaulsen
12-10-2017, 06:15 PM
No....we use a Verizon Jetpack with a WeBoost antenna for 4G.

GLS3950
12-10-2017, 06:31 PM
No, we use Verizon also

AZ Traveler
12-10-2017, 06:36 PM
no need

mjammersc
12-11-2017, 10:54 AM
No. As I believe the factory would install low quality parts and try and convince you are good to go with WiFi on board. I would rather have a wire chase from the roof to the front storage “Solar” and a chase from Pinbox to front storage “hardwired backup camera”. If the factory installs wiring most likely it would be undersized for me.

I agree, I would like to see 1-2 wire chases built into the RVs. One that parallels one of the tank vents into the belly near the front that is large enough for solar, sat coax, etc and maybe a smaller one that drops into the area of the breaker/switch panel are to run WiFi / cell boosters of my choice. This could be done very low cost with PVC and gasket sealed end caps. I talked to them about it at the MOC rally factory tour a couple years ago and they liked the idea but obviously nothing happened.

BuilderBob
12-11-2017, 12:30 PM
Hell No! better things out there to use by the time they sell one it would be unsaleable and no adaptability:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

CaptnJohn
12-11-2017, 08:35 PM
No, tech changes too fast. Besides, 3 G is already too slow. Builder charges high for cheap tech that is of no value in 2 years at most.

Rondo
12-11-2017, 09:21 PM
I voted for the booster and not the antenna! We use our smart phones for most of our Wi-Fi anyway. The booster would be much more useful than a 3G out of date antenna.

1retired06
12-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Not for us.

mazboy
12-14-2017, 10:19 AM
wiring...maybe, not antenna.

Petmoose
01-03-2018, 05:09 PM
I echo the two previous comments that request a wire chase running front to back and top to bottom of unit so that we can run wires that we need to add anything. The 3G is not state of the art plus anything that is "standard" at the time of manufacture is most likely going to be out of date by the time it is built in and sold.

Skw774
01-03-2018, 05:32 PM
No wi fi please

DadsHemi
01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
3G is out dated, will use my 4G iPad or I phone 7s for now

rohrmann
01-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Have and use a 4G LTE hot spot. Just like in the TV, I see no need for anything like that built in, just something else to fail.

Dave W
01-16-2018, 11:46 AM
Since we normally use a laptop in a CG, a booster such we have added to our current 5er would be fine. Unfortunately, OEMs will probably use low buck mish mash of products that they would charge a premium to add

mtlakejim
01-16-2018, 02:59 PM
No wifi but if they were to build a Wilson cell booster with it's antenna into the units as an OPTION that would be something we might consider. But then again probably cheaper to add this aftermarket. We do camp in a lot of fringe signal areas where a booster might help. We have one at our house (Wilson makes a home version) as our roof is metal and we live down in a valley in the country (read: out in da sticks). We would not have cell service at our house without the booster!

Phabask
01-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Vote NO, We use verizon mifi don't need something else up on the roof to leak, and 3G way slow, I had a external antenna once it didn't work that great.

waynemoore
01-25-2018, 08:38 AM
I fear that like has been said the manufacturers would use low end components that have marginal performance. Plus 3G is far too slow. I hear that 5G is on the way. I use a Version hot spot on my IPhone and it works great or at least where I spend most of my time camping. That said I have not found any place in the US or Canada that I had a problem getting service. I am sure there are places but I have not I had a problem so far.

whutfles
05-31-2018, 10:49 PM
No. Already have a Verizon MiFi and 2 phones with hot spots. What good is it to stream videos when the most expensive unlimited plan still has a 15 GB limit per hot spot or MiFi device. We just wintered down South for 4 months and watched no videos and had to switch between devices to stay under our 15 GB limit. It's unlimited but anything in that month on that device over 15 GB is at 3GL.

When the fog rolls in in Texas, cell phone reception becomes poor. Is your antenna or booster on the RV going to help that?

5GL is comming. The Data Plans have to become a lot more generous before we do any streaming.

powerhaulic
06-01-2018, 06:22 AM
What I wish was possible was using the WiFi in my truck more when the truck is off.
Have a plan thru OnStar for unlimited usage for $20mo, works great even in many remote locations just need the truck key on

Sugar
06-01-2018, 12:19 PM
No, we use Verizon Wireless.

Mikendebbie
06-01-2018, 03:32 PM
We use verizon